Do you know the Cayo Levantado area-location, port, chic hotels, etc.?

jamiear

Oct 4, 2006
Thanks to anyone who can help me with this:

I live in Santo Domingo, but am going to go to Samana this month to meet a friend who will be visitng the island from a cruise ship for a day. The cruise ship reportedly docks in Cayo Levantado. I am going to go the day before and spend the night. I have previously only been to Las Terrenas in Samana. I have a couple of questions for someone who knows the area:

-It appears that the actual port for the ship cannot be on Cayo Levantado--do you know where it will most likely dock?

-How long does it take to get there from Santo Domingo (I will be going with a driver who has never been there before).

-Any advice on hotels or restaurants in this area? Are there any boutique-style hotels around here? I like the look of the Lomita Maravilla Las Terrenas and have stayed in some cool places in Cabarete like this. What about resturants? I love the Euro-good restaurants in Las Terrenas.

-Finally, how far is Las Terrenas from the Cayo Levantado area?

Thank you for your help!

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Norwegian Spirit

I have a couple of questions for someone who knows the area:

-It appears that the actual port for the ship cannot be on Cayo Levantado--do you know where it will most likely dock?
The ship:
ships_575x219_spirit.jpg

Will NOT dock on Cayo Levantado, just stay anchored in Samana Bay betwen Cayo Levantado and the port of Samana. the ship will be there February 09 2007 and February 17 2007 from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

On board ship camera here:
Welcome to NCL.com Click on Web Cam button.

-How long does it take to get there from Santo Domingo (I will be going with a driver who has never been there before).

With a driver who has never been to Samana...4+hrs.

-Any advice on hotels or restaurants in this area? Are there any boutique-style hotels around here? I like the look of the Lomita Maravilla Las Terrenas and have stayed in some cool places in Cabarete like this. What about resturants? I love the Euro-good restaurants in Las Terrenas.
Outside Samana, on the way to Las Galeras is hotel as you describe, call Las Ballenas Escondidas, do search on this site about it or on Google. Good food at this charming hotel, and you could see the ship passing in the morning from your window, or restaurant terrace.

-Finally, how far is Las Terrenas from the Cayo Levantado area?

Thank you for your help!

Las Terrenas is about 40 minutes drive from Samana.

Good luck on seeing your friend and visiting Samana.

WebDev