Cost of living question

mommytorres

Aug 9, 2004
I am hoping I could get some imput here...

How rich/poor would $1,400 USD a month equal for a family of 3 and a caretaker/maid?

At the current exchange of 1,400 USD= 47,203.10 RD it has me curious.

I am being told that a babysitter FT is around $450 USD a month. Does this sound right or did I think I heard USD but it should be RD? This would make a huge difference!

Also, I saw a Discovery Channel program that interviewed a family that owned a 'gas' station that sold gas by the bottle. That family made around $30 USD a month. What is the median income in Santo Domingo? I can't seem to find any current information. :ermm:

Thanks for your imput!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
It really depends. Will you have a mortgage? Car payments? etc...

A live-in maid is about 5,000 pesos a month (I think).

If you will have NO car payment and NO mortgage you should be ok with that amount.

Internet is about 1,000 a month. That's for the basic DSL service from Verizon. I think groceries for a fam of 3 will be about 10 to 15 thousand a month. Maybe more.

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
it wouldn't be easy!

in santiago our rent runs US$360 a month
a maid runs $125 a month (part time)
food is the killer though--if you are just doing the basic rice,beans, platinos you'll be fine but for anything else it gets costly--for a family of 5 i probably spend about $700US a month and there is a lot i just won't buy here because it costs too much (US$4 for a bag of bagels--US$6 for a box of cereal??? it's nuts) add on gas which runs almost US $50 a tank and you still have to cover electric, cable, and any other services. if you have kids, tuition at a private school will be another major cost (between US$1000 and $3000 annually at least). and i hear santo domingo is higher cost of living. good luck!:disappoin

mommytorres

Aug 9, 2004
Thanks for your help.

Lambada, sorry I didn't see the thread you speak of. Since my computer was killed by a virus 4 months ago...I have only extremely limited time online, when I can get to the library.

I can't ask my brother in law since he has been dishonest about everything else. These questions have been asked over and over. The cost of living pertains to 3 adults. No car, no children, no school.

He has already stated he 'must' steal electricity since it is so corrupt in his area. :ermm:

Thanks for your help. I'll be back on again when I get the next chance. Perhaps a week or two.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
you can live in SDQ for less............can you have a life you will enjoy? riding the bus is cool until 53 new mercedes and BMWs and porsches blow dirt on you.........and it's hot ...............and you don't have AC.......and no cable TV............and there seem to be a lot of really cool looking restaurants that you can't afford and ............................they have shrimp in the supermarket.................but................i wish i could put happy in a bottle.........