What is the right amount to tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystiqkal

Jan 28, 2007
I was wondering if you guys could tell me what percentage is the normal amount to tip? In the US we normally do 15% for meals etc. In DR is it the same for meals? what about cab rides etc? are you expected to tip?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Mystiqkal,

Welcome to DR1. I noticed you are going to be visiting us in May. I know you will have a wonderful time.

Though I realize that you may have a lot of questions please allow me to explain or 'search' function that may make things easier for you.

In the blue bar at the top of this screen just right of center you will see the 'Search' box. Click on that and a tab drops down that allows you to type in that which you wish to know about such as (tipping in the DR). Then press go and you will be directed to all threads that contain those words. As there have been many people such as yourself that have asked the same question you will more then likely find that which you are looking for.

If you don't wish to do that then no problem as we are more then happy to answer those questions that you may have.

Rick

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Mystiqkal, regarding tipping, I suggest you go ahead and tip before ordering. Distribute a few one hundred pesos bills among the waiter, the ma?tre, even the chef. It will do wonders, and you will get extra quality service. Expect choice helpings of food, double shots in your drinks, lots of attention...

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
And likewise you can click on a members name in their post and options will drop down one of which is 'show all posts by ________'. By clicking on that and checking out some of their posts you might get an indication as to which of our members have a tendency to, shall we say "pull your leg".

Rick

Sep 19, 2005
yeah...prepay and maybe you get NO FOOD AT ALL... ha ha ha

know this...almost all places ADD a 10% gratutity to the bill before you get it...along with a 16% goverment tax.
The 10% is ...supposed to go to the workers....but many will say that the owner just pockets it......

you will pay 26% on top of your bill ,10 of which is already a gratutity so tip as you feel knowing such.

watch how dominicans tip...and learn.....

enjoy

bob

Jennifer

Jul 9, 2002
How much to tip?

watch how dominicans tip...and learn.....

I've been in the country for 17 years. Dominicnas 'generally' do not tip....
Please don't be guided by that. Tip as much as you can afford to. And smile at the wait staff and thank them.

Sep 19, 2005
"Dominicnas 'generally' do not tip...."

exactly!!...you want to fit in?...you want to be part of life here?

as Larry always has tried to explain..

when you stand out , you make yourself a target.

it may be impossible to reverse the trend. But the reason all the pan handlers and beggars flock to tourists and americans is because they dont act like dominicans.

It must be that the dominicans understand that the goverment has provided for the waiter with the 10% tax... and as such they may say to thenmselves...they got my tip already......it may take a while before the tourist realizes this and maybe even they never relaize it.....

I dont propose NO ONE tips......but I dont think you should have to pay 30 -40 % more than the cost of the meal to eat anyplace.....16%itbits...10% gratuity tax, plus a "american standard" 15-20%.......

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.