common Bldg materials for the DR?

ktisaab

Feb 5, 2007
Hi I am wanting to know what are the most common used materials in mid to large size buildings? here in Canada we use a combination of metal studs for interior walls with drywall over.

I am looking at the materials there as the buildings will be constructed there.

I look fwd to hear from you soon,

best regards

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They use cement blocks, rebars (rod) and cement. Only in offices will you see sheetrock, plycem is also starting to get used in office construction.

Here is a recent list with pricing in pesos (RD$) and an English translation.

1. Arena Itabo (m3) $610.
2. Arena Triturada (m3) $1070.
3. Arena Pa?ete (m3) $800.
4. Cascajo (m3) $530.
5. Grava (m3) $775.
6. Cemento Titan(fda) $195.
7. Atado De Varilla 3/8x20.
8. Atado De Varilla 3/8x20.
9. Alambre Picado(lb) $30.74.
10. Block De 4" $16.24.
11. Block De 6" $17.99.
12. Block De 8" $24.50.
13. Cal Peque?a(fda) $15.66.
14. Cal Mediana(fda) $32.48.
15. Cal Grande(fda) $44.08.

English translation:

1. Itabo Sand
2. Crushed Sand
3. Grout Sand
4. Gravel
5. Pebble, Gravel or Stone Chip
6. Titan Cement (Bag)
7. Bundle of Rod
8. Bundle of Rod
9. Cut Wire
10. 4" Concrete Block
11. 6" Concrete Block
12. 8" Concrete Block
13. Small bag of Lime
14. Medium bag of Lime
15. Large bag of Lime

ktisaab

Feb 5, 2007
thks for your reply.

What about the bldg. shell? What is the most commonly used material in wall construction and wall finish(s).

Also are rigid frame structures used a lot there? If so, what would be the availablity? (IF u know) Here, availabilty due to increased demand is sometimes 3-6 months!

I would appreciate any related info on bldg here vs bldg here in N. America.

Much thks

ktisaab

Feb 5, 2007
Actually thats a good reminder. What are the most cost effective, warranty, total installed cost etc. for variuos roofing systems for industrial type applications.

regards,
Canada

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
thks for your reply.

What about the bldg. shell? What is the most commonly used material in wall construction and wall finish(s).

Also are rigid frame structures used a lot there? If so, what would be the availablity? (IF u know) Here, availabilty due to increased demand is sometimes 3-6 months!

I would appreciate any related info on bldg here vs bldg here in N. America.

Much thks

I guess you have never been here?

Blocks and cement for wall construction, inside and out.
Rigid frame structures, I have only seen this used in very modern office buildings and 1 or 2 apartment buildings in the entire country.

Building methods are way behind, unless you are talking about very high end construction and we have very little of that. You need to think people moving sand up 3-4 floors by shovel and brute force and scaffold poles made of tree branches, yes I'm serious.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What about Roof Tiles (Tejas)?

What about the cost of getting them installed?

Thank You

CB

Your need to come here and do the leg work.
Pricing is all over the place, all depends on title type, who's installing it and if the moon is in alignment with the second constellation to the right :)

Are you people getting the picture yet?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Actually thats a good reminder. What are the most cost effective, warranty, total installed cost etc. for variuos roofing systems for industrial type applications.

regards,
Canada

Warranty, hahahaha, that's a good one!

Once again, you need to be here and do the leg work.
Quality is all over the place and I mean from pure junk imported from Venezuela to super high end stuff from Germany.

It's like asking... "How long is a piece of string?"

C

Chip00

Hi I am wanting to know what are the most common used materials in mid to large size buildings? here in Canada we use a combination of metal studs for interior walls with drywall over.

I am looking at the materials there as the buildings will be constructed there.

I look fwd to hear from you soon,

best regards

Four questions:

1. Where are you building?

2. What are you building?

3. How many stories?

4. How many m2?

Chip

ktisaab

Feb 5, 2007
Four questions:

1. Where are you building?

Not too sure of the exact location, but is out in the bush somewhere north of SDomingo

2. What are you building?

A couple of buildings: offices / Truck repair shop etc.

3. How many stories?

Office bldg: 2... Truck repair facility 1

4. How many m2?

Office: approx 1000m2 ea flr / truck facility approx: 2000m2
Chip

Also, you are right in saying I have never been there. However, I have seen construction similar to how U describe. i/e truck trunks to hold up form work for concrete pours etc. (Africa)

C

Chip00

Also, you are right in saying I have never been there. (Africa)

FYI that wasn't me who said that. When you are ready to go I have a good friend who is a maestro who will travel to the site and supervise the construction of the buildings. He can also do or work with you to do the layout. Getting the plans reviewed by an Engineer and stamped won't be a problem either. Let me know.

You will need an engineer to do the site layout and grading.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Question? Are most construction materials and buildings in the DR measured in meters or Imperial?

ktisaab

Feb 5, 2007
Hi again. You guessed rite, I have never (perhaps oneday) been to your country! My daughter went there for her honeymoon, and loved the country.

Here's another small question, for you all:

What are the best roof slopes for buildings that might be approx. 30M x 80M? Also, the most effective way down there for drainage i.e. gutters to downspouts to grade / storm sewer system? I have one colleague who is saying that a 1/4:12 is better as the rain when it comes down realllly comes down; and another colleague here saying that we will go with a 1 or 2:12 sloped roof. So I guess I am looking for the best roof detail type(s). If you have some examples would be great.

Thanks again for your help..

C

Chip00

Hi again. You guessed rite, I have never (perhaps oneday) been to your country! My daughter went there for her honeymoon, and loved the country.

Here's another small question, for you all:

What are the best roof slopes for buildings that might be approx. 30M x 80M? Also, the most effective way down there for drainage i.e. gutters to downspouts to grade / storm sewer system? I have one colleague who is saying that a 1/4:12 is better as the rain when it comes down realllly comes down; and another colleague here saying that we will go with a 1 or 2:12 sloped roof. So I guess I am looking for the best roof detail type(s). If you have some examples would be great.

Thanks again for your help..

As far as roof slope goes and Architect will have to answer that question. However, it appears most of the roofs of the buildings are flat here.

Roof drains should not really go into the sanitary sewer system but into the drainage system.

ktisaab

Feb 5, 2007
Do u guys use gutters / downspouts? OR let the rain fall of the roof edge.

I still would like to know which is a better design in your country.....

slight slope i.e. 1/4:12

average slope: 1:12 to 4:12 or greater.

Thks again

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Ktisaab,

Gutters and downspouts are a luxury here if you should find them and not used. Houses and buildings are built for water run off at the edge.

Concerning roof slope would depend on the type of roof you are planning to construct. The cheapest would be corrugated metal roof followed by concrete then tarpaper and asphalt shingles and ending with masonary shingles.

Roof slope is required for water runoff and as a load bearing factor for such things as snow. As there is no snow or ice here and it usually doesn't rain for a length of time longer then an hour then depending on what material is used will determine a required slope. Regardless of the material a short slope is appropriate here.

If you should decide on a concrete roof then an installation of a 1/8-in-12 (0.6-degree) tapered installation system would be adequate to provide positive drainage. With the amount of sun we receive here all year long that should be sufficient. If you aren't comfortable with that then a 1/4-in-12 (1.2 degrees) installation would suffice.

Rick