Trouble Makers in La Vega Carnival?

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
I was just speaking to my husband on Sunday night about the Festivities in La Vega and he said the following "Esto se esta poniendo peor cada a?o" (This is getting worst every year).
He mentioned that the streets were flooded with guys who seemed to be looking for trouble, that they looked like they just came out of prison and are looking for someone to start with.

As always him and his friends just keep to themselves and stay out of trouble but it's crazy how nowadays you have to keep a lookout for this nonsense.

Has anyone else noticed this....?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There are so many folks there it's hard to tell the good guys from the bad guiys. Last year I never had one thought that bad guys were lurking. But we parked, walked and watched the festivities from the middle of everything.

The biggest danger I saw was getting whacked by an "illegal" bladder. I had a bruiss for 2 weeks on the back of my thigh.

Sep 19, 2005
its all about fun and celebrating...the driving of the devil from people...and the costumes...but somewhere it is obvious a few of the revelors got out of hand and weere whacking people who REALLY didnt want to be whacked..at least not the way they got it anyway.....soooooo.... the groups hired SECURITY guards to walk with them , to......what?...PROTECT the guys beating people who might not want to get beat. sound right?....something is wrong........if they didnt beat people with Illegal bladders or by total suprise with the force they sometimes do....then they wouldnt need their GUARDS.

I can easily see some idiot whacking some hot babe for fun and the girls husband or boyfriend goes off......thus the security to each club...who look like they are all body builders.

I liked it, and kept my GF from getting hit, and was asked to get hit ceremoniously(sp).so I offered ..i got it on the one sides cheek....like a wise azz.. I asked for the other side to get hit to even out the swelling...well the guy REALLY wound up....I guess he let me go with less than full power the first shot.......dammmmmmm...i went home sore from that second shot.....

they have grandstands for those who dont want to get hit

bob

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
A friend of mine, who is like 6' 3'' 300 lbs, got his arm broken by one of those guys.

Damn..makes me think twice about going to Carnival at all...:surprised (My husband is literally gonna have to protect my behind!!!)

But in actuality, I was really referring to "trouble makers" in the crowd not the parade participants. It's really these "wannabe tough guys" looking for someone to either step on their shoes, look at them or their women in a wrong way so that they can start trouble. Unfortunatley, in DR, if a fight does break out it's never just a "fist-fight" now you have to worry about someone firing a gun or stabbing you...! It's crazy!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Damn..makes me think twice about going to Carnival at all...:surprised

Wow, I was going to go and see the carnaval when I am there next weekend :( This makes me sort of cautious :paranoid: Should I rather not even try??? Is it worth it at all?

Sep 19, 2005
go and sit in the stands they have erected in a few spots....no one goes up into the stands to cause trouble......when you watch the carnival dont walk with the participants...just stand in one spot....and get to know the people close to you, and you kinda make friends with them .staying in one spot will make it so mostly the participants go past you.......if you walk past all the spectatotors your chance of crossing those bad people increase.....

I have afriend who has a house on the parade route. we stay in his driveway or across the street... and just keep our behind against the fence or a parked car!!!! ha ha ha

its not that bad.....if you think about it the big tough guys will always get it the worse, because the marchers want to show their machoism against the big boys, because this is wehn they have protection... ha ha ha

dont stand out and and just enjoy

bob

jamdla

Feb 8, 2007
yes, but be carefull , try a safe place, never walking on the street alone.
I live in the carnival zone, I lived all my life, if you need something just write to me.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I will try to make it there next Sunday afternoon, since this seems to be the time for carnaval activities and will definitely take pictures to post on this site :) I am sure there are Internet cafes around, so I can ask questions if I am there and lost for some reason.