Language schools in the DR?

H

Hanna

I would like to know if there are any possibilities for foreigners to study Spanish in the Dominican Republic. Are there any language schools to recommend? If someone has studied in the DR please tell me about it.

Thanks in advance

Hanna

M

Missy

Yes there are such schools, at least one that I have read about. I can't give you a direct site for it, but I went to www.escapeartist.com/efam2/finding_work_in_the_dominican_republic.html. Click on education, and there are a bunch of posting things come up, most of them are not job postings, just schools you can register in and stuff. It may seem tedious, but in their abstracts some say learn Spanish here. Hope this is of some help

E

ECH, M.D.

Two that come very highly recommended are: The Dominican-American Institute and APEC University

L

Lynda

Dear Dr RE: Language schools in the DR?

Which cities are these in? Is it possible to study Spanish in Puerto Plata for one month in July or August?

S

Scott

Re: Dear Dr RE: Language schools in the DR?

Hanna, I am going to a school in Santiago to study Spanish this august. The company that I going through is CIEE( council on International Educational Exchange). The program os through my University, but anyone can go as long as you meet certain requirments. There website is www.ciee.org or call 1-888-council. Scott

E

ECH, M.D.

lYNDA. The schools mentioned were in Santo Domingo. I am sure they have language schools in Puerto Plata area, however, I am just not familiar with them.

S

Sarah

Try Entrena in Santo Domingo at 809-541-4283. They are located at Rafael Bonelli #26, Baristo Morales, although they may have other locations throughout the country.

I understand that this is the school where Peace Corps members take language and cultural training prior to their terms of service in the DR. Entrena will tailor a study program for your needs. For example, when I was there for the month of September, 1995, I worked with a teacher one-on-one for 7 or 8 hours a day. Entrena also arranged for me to live with a Dominican family in Santo Domingo while I studied. They even helped me find a school for my 5 year old daughter to go to while I was in class. It was a great experience. The teacher nor the family I lived with would speak any English with me, although they probably knew some. But this was the best way, for me - total immersion! During my course of study, besides the necessary classroom study, my teacher and I visited museums, restaurants, and other sites in the city. I had to do all the communicating and in Spanish, of course. Sink or swim...I swam...and now my Spanish is still pretty good, four years later.

Good luck to you! ~Sarah

T

trina

Lynda

Hi Lynda. How are you? E-mail Gina and Paula. We found a school in Puerto Plata that costs $250 RD/month, to learn Spanish. We start in May, but I don't know the name of it. I hope things are well back home. Take good care, talk soon!