cost of university

A

apostropheman

i was wondering what the cost of university is for a dominican. also any general recommendations for university in Santo Domingo. i understand that UASD Universidad Aut?noma de Santo Domingo - UASD - Primada de Am?rica is the only public university in but am not sure what that implies about the cost and availability. if one were interested in, to start, a general undergraduate program what options are there in SD?

Reactions: Tamborista
A

apostropheman

correction: i'm not sure UASD is the ONLY private university but it is the oldest in the DR:paranoid:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
UASD is extremely cheap. It has the reputation for being the first university in "The New World", but IMO you get what you pay for. Services are scarce, and it is badly equipped as you'd expect on anything government supported in The DR. If you have the money this would not be the university where I would go. I do have to say that for the price you do get a decent education...again for the price.

IMO INTEC is the better choice in Santo Domingo. Pucamaima is the best in Santiago. Of course it all depends on what you're interested in (i.e. if you desire to become a doctor and take that in English then I've heard UNIBE has a pretty good program for that). There are a few people on this board who are associated with colleges so they could give you more info than I can. I know Hillbilly works at PUCAMAIMA and at one time there was a guy who posted here (ECHMD) whom I believe works(ed?) for UNIBE.

A

apostropheman

thanks suarezn,

it's true, you usually don't get more or better than you pay for...but i guess it also depends on what you can afford. i'd hope that you'd be light years ahead of those without a university, or college, education regardless of which school you attended.

that said i hope someone can tell me current tuition costs and a rough guess at text costs at any given institution. recommendations on particular schools would also be wonderful. unfortunately i do not know the particular discipline as it hasn't been chosen yet but any info wold be helpful.

i've googled until my finger bled...really, but have not found any current particulars plus my ability to read spanish is sad to say the least :D

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
From UNIBE

CARRERAS COSTO

Arquitectura RD$ 34,760.00
Dise?o y Decoraci?n Arquitect?nica
Comunicaci?n Publicitaria
Medicina
Ingenier?a Civil
Ingenier?a Industrial
Odontolog?a

Administraci?n de Empresas RD$ 27,950.00
Administraci?n de Empresas Tur?sticas y Hoteleras
Derecho
Educaci?n Temprana
Mercadeo
Psicolog?a

Tuition and Fees for Foreign Students
Application Fee US$100.00
Registration Fee (Only paid during the First Semester) US$400.00
Tuition Fee US$4,000.00
Total US$4,500.00

Here's a link to INTEC's costs

Bienvenido al INTEC

These two are on the expensive side. UTESA, UASD, and others are a lot cheaper.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
For a complete guide on Universities here, with costings, courses etc etc, take a look here. It's the most up to date resource available and has lots of information you cannot find, unless you spend countless hours hassling people at the universities.

Dominican Republic Student Guide

A

apostropheman

thank you Hillbilly. I know PUCMM is a wonderful university. the potential student lives in a barrio outside, east of, santo domingo and runs a small business. i'm not sure how possible it would be to attend classes so far from home however there may be a way.

any other thoughts or recommendations on colleges or universities in Santo Domingo?

i'm still somewhat in the dark about potential tuition costs...and perhaps boarding coast at PUCMM :)