Not to be too nosy.....

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
But I am really interested in knowing what many of you expats do for a living in the DR. I am not trying to be nosy, but I am 26 years old, Canadian born, university educated with a great career in finance, of Caribbean descent and want to move the DR. Benn there several times and will be there in April for 2 months to get a better feel of day to day like there.

But everywhere I look, it indicates that finding good employment is difficult. So that leads me to ask, how did you all do it ? We you transferred, start your own business, go there and start from scratch ? Any words of your own personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I came here with the promise of TWO jobs (negotiated whilst here on holiday). Of course, in the DR nothing turns out like the promises you were originally given & I had to start renegotiating jobs all over again. 14 years ago there was less competition so I found something to bring in some money & then progressed to find FULL time work.

You might find some work opportunities once you have committed yourself to living here. Make sure you speak 70% Spanish (you don't have to be fluent to get a lower paid job), make sure you open LOTS of doors, accept any job that comes to the negotiating table & then work yourself up the ladder from there.

You have a great career in finance in Canada??? My advice is stay in it until you can afford to retire down here - with a finance career this shouldn't take more than 4 or 5 years should it?? :pirate: :cheeky: ~ Grahame.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
i also worked in finance in the UK. Came here and worked as a diving instructor, which gives you enough money to live on. Then bought a colmado and now work in that part time, which doesn't give you enough money to live on!!! I couldn't have made it without savings and investments and now my pension. Well difficult to start your own business I think.

Matilda