Name of a drink

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
When I was last in Puerto Plata, I went to the supermarket opposite the big Jimenez shop and I got this delicious kind of smoothie from the little cafe inside....just wondering if anyone could tell me the name of it?
It was kind of orange in colour and I forget which fruit it was made from. It was definately something exotic like passion fruit.
I never ordered it myself, I always got my bf to get it, which is why I have no idea of its name. It was sooooo delicious and refreshing....only 45 days till I can get another!!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Fruit smoothies are called Batidas, Passion Fruit is called Chinola... they sell them all over, with every imaginable fruit combination...either with milk and/or yogurt and honey.

There's also a pupular drink called Morir sonando which translates to "to die dreaming". it's made with citrus juice, sugar and milk, and crushed ice...when it's made with oranges, its...obviously...orange...

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
will spell it as pronounced

When I was last in Puerto Plata, I went to the supermarket opposite the big Jimenez shop and I got this delicious kind of smoothie from the little cafe inside....just wondering if anyone could tell me the name of it?
It was kind of orange in colour and I forget which fruit it was made from. It was definately something exotic like passion fruit.
I never ordered it myself, I always got my bf to get it, which is why I have no idea of its name. It was sooooo delicious and refreshing....only 45 days till I can get another!!
sure it was a batida.may have been a "la cho sa" one.these certainly are delicious.so even if it wasent this particular type.try one,you wont regret it!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"LECHOSA" is PAPAYA

It is probably the most common "Smoothie" in the DR.
Altho you can use VERY RIPE bananas,mangos,etc as well.
To make one,... Chop up about 2 cups of "whatever" really ripe fruit you have, put in a "blender" with a cup or so of ice, a 1/2 cup,or more of condensed milk (not the sweet one!) several tablespoons of sugar,a teaspon of vanilla,and "blend"!!! you can add some whole milk to get the consistency you like,as well as adjust all other ingredients to taste.

Enjoy!!!

PS,they are REALLY fattening!!!! Don't let the "Fresh Fruit" fool you!!!
I haven't had one in over a year!:ermm: :eek:gre:

P PS, The "Morir Sonando" is also made with Carnation Condensed milk, NOT The one with Sugar either!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The "smoothie" is question could be with zapote (mamey sapote), which is my favorite, as a "merengada" (with milk), or as "batida" (without milk).

PS just wanted to add that zapotl (in Nagual) actually means 'smoothie'

Last edited:

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Zapote...that is it!!!! I had so many of them when I was there last. I love them with milk!! I actually bought the fruit and got a friend to make the juice for me. Is the fruit called zapote? It has such a strange texture!!
I have been asking my bf everyday for the name and everyday he tells me and I forget instantly. Hes like, for the love of God write it down...now I know!