I bought my wife a Jeepeta.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I know that Jeepetas are a big deal for Dominicans but I never realized just how big.

To start with for those of you who don?t know, a Jeepetta is an SUV. (probably should be spelled ?Yipeta? but I have Jeepeta in my mind and since I don?t consider it a real word I?ll spell it my way, thank you very much.)

Also for those of you who didn?t know (I didn?t) having a Jeepeta is both a very strong status symbol as well as an apparently huge economic milestone for Dominicans as apparently being that much higher up in the drivers seat of a large vehicle symbolizes ?rising above? their former economic difficulties while at the same time allowing them to look down their noses at their fellow countrymen. (Except the ones in bigger Jeepetas)

The impact on our lives is as follows:

My wife as never seemed very appreciative of anything I do for her but in this case she was literally moved to tears. (for several days)

Her family is more excited about this than they are about her pregnancy.

Friends from all over the country have called to congratulate her.

JUST ABOUT EVERY DOMINICAN I KNOW HAS ASKED ME FOR A LOAN.

I swear, it has been about a week and just about 1 person per day has come up and asked to borrow money from me.

What the hell is wrong with people that they see you just spent a huge wad of cash and think ?wow, that guy must have a lot of money, I better ask him for some? instead of ?wow that guy just spent a huge wad of money, I guess its too late to ask him for some?.

If these the same people see robbers fleeing form a bank do they say, ?Ooh! Let?s rob THAT place RIGHT NOW!?

What an insane country.

C

Chip00

Mike

Hey I feel your pain. This has happened a lot to to me and has teed me off thinking about the gall of these people.

However, I have thought about this a lot and have lots of acquaintainces and family who make like US200 a month - in other words a typical Dominican.

The problem is somewhat complicated but basically has to do with a lie that is perpetuated over and over again that anybody and everybody that comes from the US is rich. You just proved it to them by buying a new yipeta!

The problem I see it is the are brainwashed by themselves and Dominicans that live abroad. Many poor Dominicans will do anything to get off this island and do it to. When they get to the US and they can't wait to come back and flaunt what they have no atter how little it is. These Dom's that come back are held in very high esteem by their countryman and therefore won't be in a hurry to dispel the myths and tell the people here that the majority of Domicans that live in NY have to work very, very hard for very little reward.

The attitude you are seeing is common as I have witnessed it a lot. If you really saw the world through their eyes you could understand it probably. It doesn't bother me anymore and in fact I don't have any problem telling them 1. I'm not rich just because I have a yipeta and 2. I support my wife's parents who probably have less than they 3. My wife has a lot of poor family so how does this person expect that they are more important than family?

Usually they will look a little surprised and embarrassed that they asked such a question. Hey just remember no place is perfect!

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
I know that Jeepetas are a big deal for Dominicans but I never realized just how big.

To start with for those of you who don?t know, a Jeepetta is an SUV. (probably should be spelled ?Yipeta? but I have Jeepeta in my mind and since I don?t consider it a real word I?ll spell it my way, thank you very much.)

Also for those of you who didn?t know (I didn?t) having a Jeepeta is both a very strong status symbol as well as an apparently huge economic milestone for Dominicans as apparently being that much higher up in the drivers seat of a large vehicle symbolizes ?rising above? their former economic difficulties while at the same time allowing them to look down their noses at their fellow countrymen. (Except the ones in bigger Jeepetas)

My wife as never seemed very appreciative of anything I do for her but in this case she was literally moved to tears. (for several days)

JUST ABOUT EVERY DOMINICAN I KNOW HAS ASKED ME FOR A LOAN.

I swear, it has been about a week and just about 1 person per day has come up and asked to borrow money from me.

What the hell is wrong with people that they see you just spent a huge wad of cash and think ?wow, that guy must have a lot of money, I better ask him for some? instead of ?wow that guy just spent a huge wad of money, I guess its too late to ask him for some?.

If these the same people see robbers fleeing form a bank do they say, ?Ooh! Let?s rob THAT place RIGHT NOW!?

What an insane country.

I've been there and done that so I know what you say is true. Buying your wife a jeepeta was a shrewed move on your part. You'll soon see what I'm talking about.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002

Sad to say, but this is just another illustration on the emptiness of dominican mentality... I see it everyday, and I am trying to ignore it, while focusing on their good side(s)...

luz

Sep 27, 2006
2 things :

1.Please show some love people. don't forget that you're living in a foreign country, it's not your country. if you start criticizing the dominicans/the DR,
then what are you doing here ? We need more foreigners that appreciate the culture, the country not people that come to criticize it. If you're not happy here, you can still fly back to your country. By the way, the flight is cheap :)

2.Some dominicans will ask you for money. and if you really think about this, what is the problem? This is an underdevelopped country. Sometimes people need a little help. As long as it's not too much you can help. Of course if all the money ended up in the jeepeta, then that's another story... :)

Anyway, this is a great country and I really love it!!!

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Dea Mr. Mike, as a Dominican, I find your post very offending to other Dominicans. Not all Dominicans are created equal. Our country is not as insany as you think. If that's the case what keeps you here? I'm just a little
pis** off. The same goes for squat. WTH you mean emptiness. Count the Menz's, BMW (I own one.heheh). WTH hell is a yipeta? Nothing but a rough ride.

Congrats with the upcoming newborn.. Just wanted the vent..

Zeus (primus dominican)

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
In my humble opinion, arrogance is written all over the OP. :eek:

I disagree... I think Mike is only being honest, and I know it might be politically incorrect to be honest...

I live happily down here, but that doesn't forbid me to critisize some points of my adoptive nation... It is only fair.

I am sorry but in my book, being blindly materialistic is a sign of emptyness...

No offence to fellow dominicans, as I am well aware that human beings are all different. It is just a general remark that apply to "most" but not "all"...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh I don't know.....some of the OP was written very tong in cheek....

OF course, he did make a major mistake!!

HE DIDN"T WARN US HE WAS UNLEASHING THIS NEW MENACE UPON US FOLKS IN SANTIAGO!!!!!!

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I disagree... I think Mike is only being honest, and I know it might be politically incorrect to be honest...

I live happily down here, but that doesn't forbid me to critisize some points of my adoptive nation... It is only fair.

I am sorry but in my book, being blindly materialistic is a sign of emptyness...

No offence to fellow dominicans, as I am well aware that human beings are all different. It is just a general remark that apply to "most" but not "all"...
What Squat said. :)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Go straight to Hell, do not collect $200.

MrMike makes some observations about the reactions of family & friends, to him having bought his wife a Jeepeta.
He also wonders why so many people are asking him for loans, after such a major expense.
So, let's crucify him for being so candid.
While we're at it, let's talk about how shallow Dominicans are, because, as we all know, this couldn't happen elsewhere in the world, if you had purchased for example, a 50 foot yacht or small 4 seater airplane, for your wife.
MrMike is headed straight to hell for this one.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
While we're at it, let's talk about how shallow Dominicans are, because, as we all know, this couldn't happen elsewhere in the world, if you had purchased for example, a 50 foot yacht or small 4 seater airplane, for your wife.

ok, Rocky, I understand your point. Human beings are indeed all the same... It's only showing more here, like if it was a cartoon...

Remember what George Orwell wrote in Animal Farm :

-All animal are created equal, but some are more equal than others (!!!)

;)

Sep 19, 2005
as for the content of the OP......I also just think it is a houmorous way to express a candid observation........we can usually make fun of loved ones when they do things we thing are silly and or frivolous...and this is just a public expression of those thoughts.

I always rent a Yepetta when i come down to the dr...mainly to have a big vehicle around me and to be as high up as possible...of course i try to go cheap sometimes and only make it a Gran Vitari... ha ha ha...I love my big ford truck at home.....

I also find it amusing and a little scary when my GF's father asks to take my rental down the road for an hour or so......I figure one of two things...he wants to drive as many different cars as possible when he can...or he wants to go show off in front of his buddies..... seeing as he has an older toyota sedan

Reina

Feb 2, 2007
Yes, I agree with Luz, thank you...I have been living here, like a Dominican and very proud of it for 6 years...I moved here because I love the people, the culture, everything.....yes, there are ups and downs....but where in the world do you not have them? Please, if you are so unhappy, go back......there is nothing holding you here....and for the person who stated his wife was ungreatful until he got the jeep....well, you most likely didn't know her that well to begin with.....maybe you should have thought about what her thoughts were and what she wanted out of life before you married her. Just my opinion.....take it or leave it!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I can understand where MrMike is coming from COMPLETELY. But I can also understand where Zeus is coming from. That's why I try to be as "politicaly correct" as possible. We tend to generalize and I believe this is why Zeus took offense. If MrMike would have used "SOME/MOST Dominicans" rather than "Dominicans" in his post perhaps Zeus wouldn't have felt offended. Just like any other Dominican person reading the message might have.

I made a mistake on a thread I started on the General Forum about poultry. I said "to Americans chicken is chicken" indicating that Americans do not kow the different types of chicken. Perhaps I should have said "to SOME/MOST Americans". Sure enough the people who enlightened me on the subject where Americans.

Back on topic...

MrMike - as I indicated in my first sentence I know exactly what you are saying. Some of my family members in Santiago call me a show off because I only rent SUVs when I visit. I have tried to explain OVER AND OVER AND OVER that the reason why I rent a SUV is because of the COMFORT it provides. More space, and you don't feel the pot holes as much as you would if you were driving lets say a corolla or camry. Plus, you can go to the campo with no fear of having your car stuck on mud. With a SUV 4WD you can go pretty much anywhere. But, my attempts in trying to get them to understand this are futile.

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
My observations on the subject:

1) The reaction of the family and friends is normal for a poor/middle class dominican.
2) Most of dominicans will do anything, and I mean anything, to have a Jeepeta. They've rather live in shacks and eat rice and beans and have a jeepeta with a loan they cannot afford.
3) Most dominicans with jeepetas are pretenders. What I mean they pretend to be rich but they are in debt up to their necks.
4) Not everyone likes dominican yorks. Only the poor dominicans do. The rest know better and try not to associate with them in any form.

And never, ever, loan money to a dominican. If you do, do it right, write up the terms, interest and always have a colateral you can collect, and make it legal.

Wag