scared to visit

AUDREYWILLIAMS

Feb 8, 2007
:paranoid: is it possible that the multiple threads regarding criminal activity in DR may be slightly overblown. on one hand i keep hearing how the Dominican people as a whole are honest people, then on the other hand im reading threads suggesting the hiring of night watchman :ermm: and armed guards to protect family and home :ermm: , i mean come on. im planning to visit in march and now am scared to death. am i just reading too much into these threads or what?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Staying in a hotel or elsewhere? Until we know how much you know about living in DR it is difficult to pitch advice at the right level. But if you're coming to a hotel & you're a sensible person & behave sensibly then you should be just fine. Have you looked at the travel Forums?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
So as to not hijack the other thread which is designed more to give tips on safer living in the DR, I will answer your question (as it seems to me) on this thread you started.

Is criminal activity in the DR being overblown?? In relation to criminal activity in many other countries, yes maybe we ARE over-blowing things here - it is not as bad as many other countries that tourists go to quite happily. In relation to what the criminal activity in the DR was 4, 5 or 6 years ago - NO, we are not over-blowing it. It IS getting worse & will get even more obviously worse before it gets better.

If night-watchmen with guns "scares you to death" then the DR is NOT the place for you to come on holiday (I assume your visit IS a holiday?). Many men walk the streets with guns in their waistbands, police are to be seen carrying all sorts of weapons (some are even loaded!) & security guards with automatic pistols or pump shotguns are on patrol at nearly all public places & hotel compound entrances.

Maybe Florida, Southern Spain or Egypt might give you a greater sense of security! :paranoid: ~ Grahame.

gini

Dec 12, 2005
Maybe Florida, Southern Spain or Egypt might give you a greater sense of security! :paranoid: ~ Grahame.

Egypt ? certainly not ! I felt much more insecure in the streets of Sharm-El-Sheik (2005) than last year in DR driving a car for 2 weeks in the whole country ! and smiles are a big difference !

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Next time you are in NY take a walk in Central Part at 2AM them see what scared is. The DR is as safe as anyplace, just use your common sense. You would not do as I suggested in NY nor the DR.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Over blown....

You should not be afraid to visit the DR, period.

I feel safer here than I do on the streets in America or most European countries.

Fearmongering is common on this site as so many of the posters love to be negative. If we posted the 'real' everyday positives as much as the occasional negative it'd become pretty boring reading.

Have a great vacation and treat your trip the same as if you were going to any other lovely, sunny and fabulous destination.

Jack

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
:paranoid: is it possible that the multiple threads regarding criminal activity in DR may be slightly overblown. on one hand i keep hearing how the Dominican people as a whole are honest people, then on the other hand im reading threads suggesting the hiring of night watchman :ermm: and armed guards to protect family and home :ermm: , i mean come on. im planning to visit in march and now am scared to death. am i just reading too much into these threads or what?

Start reading some message boards about New York, LA or London if you really want to be scared :) The DR is visited by 1000's of tourists every year and 99.9% of these are never a victim of crime. I guess if you feel that the odds are staked against you and you might fall it to that 0.1% category, then I would head towards Jamaica ;)

People slow down at car wrecks, why is that?

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I visit the DR at least once a year. I stay at a hotel but I do go off the resort day and night. As someone mentioned use your common sense, that's what I do. There is crime everywhere in the world. So far have not had any bad experiences nothing but good :) I have done a lot of reading on this site which has helped me on every trip!

The DR is a great place that's why it has me coming back every year!!! :)

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
My experience

As long as you use comon sense, you should not be any more afraid of visiting the DR than any other place. I don't live in the DR, but I have been there 5 times in the last 6 years as a tourist. We have stayed in AI resorts, small private hotels, rental villas, and always felt safe. We usually rent motorcycles and get WAY off the beaten path, and NEVER have had any problems. The Dominican people as a whole are friendly and helpful.

Don't get me wrong, crime does happen, but usually it is to those who flaunt money or jewelry or look affluent. Do not draw attention to yourself, and use common sense and you should have a great time in the DR.

bob

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
I have been to d/r 6 times no problem.s i think because it is a small island you here about crimes, no more than your average city in your own country

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as you know i had a guest recently, who normally lives in london. i have briefed her on the crime in here but warned her more about parasites (maybe i am a psychic...) and dengue...
and there you go - she went on a bus to santiago - herself and visited a barrio (at own request, with minovio's sister, no problemo). we let her out on her own equipped only in "no moleste". and she loved it here.
DR population is equal to the population of any big american city, and i bet you we have less crime here than in NY or LA. and - in DR there are no maniacs killing girls by a dozen either.

keepitsimple

Jun 30, 2005
Heres The Real Deal

A- If your going to a Resort your Fine . They are all inclusive usually stay there have a great time!

B- If your going to the Capital , just stay out of the barrios . There are lots of places that are fine for tourists here . Its just like when you go to miami you don't go to overtown .

c- Don't let anyone fool you there is a crime problem here , so if you have a "Native" that can guide you your enjoyment and safety will increase 500%.

PM with any question I will be more than happy to let you know about nice resorts and spots you can hit and stay fairly safe.

Keepitsimple

AUDREYWILLIAMS

Feb 8, 2007
thanks?

i appreciate the responses (yes even the negative ones). and i just returned from a 3 week stay in jamaica. in fact i chose to stay in the local areas believing it to be more fun than staying at a resort, and you know what. i was warned about crime mostly the whole vacation, however throughout my entire stay i had not one negative experience. of course i did use common sense. but it seems some posters are suggesting that if you do plan to vacation in the DR that you "do so at your own risk". that doesnt sound like a ringing endorsement, and if it is really that bad, what keeps you guys there?
anyway, :cheeky: im liking the sosua/caberete area, any suggestions?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
If anyone on DR1 has suggested a vacationer to DR should only "do so at their own risk", I think you'd see 100 posts within an hour to correct that advice.

As for Cabarete & Sosua, they are nice destinations. As of now, you'd almost have to be looking for trouble (consciously or through stupid behaviour) or incredibly unlucky to have a problem here as a short-term visitor.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Would Not Let The "Crime" Keep You From Coming!

But whoever told you that Dominicans are basically "HONEST" was out of their mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
i appreciate the responses (yes even the negative ones). and i just returned from a 3 week stay in jamaica. in fact i chose to stay in the local areas believing it to be more fun than staying at a resort, and you know what. i was warned about crime mostly the whole vacation, however throughout my entire stay i had not one negative experience. of course i did use common sense. but it seems some posters are suggesting that if you do plan to vacation in the DR that you "do so at your own risk". that doesnt sound like a ringing endorsement, and if it is really that bad, what keeps you guys there?
anyway, :cheeky: im liking the sosua/caberete area, any suggestions?

I think you have answered your own question when you talked about not one negative experience in Jamaica, despite what others had told you.

What keeps us guys here?

Low level of crime, freedom, weather, beautiful people, beaches, etc etc...

WeeJee

Jun 26, 2006
Let's just think about this!

The DR is a tiny country, but with more crime than I have ever known in my life. Crime does happen all over the world, but how many people are there left here untouched by some sort or other? People say, "Don't like it? Then go home!". Best piece of advice I've had since being here! ADIOS!:speechles

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
Scared To Visit. The same people on DR 1 who over and over tell you how safe the DR is and how New York City, London ,etc. etc. are worse never tell you that the major difference is that in the DR you can not tell the alleged good guys from the bad guys and who are usually the bad guys. Every time there is a victim reported on DR 1 there are posters saying the victim did something wrong. Finally you should be scared when there are 79 murders in 5 days in January. By the way I was in Egypt on holiday for a month in December and in Sharm Al Sheik for a couple of days and had no problems and no fear like I have in the DR.

Adam