Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 105

Thread: scared to visit

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unhappy scared to visit

    is it possible that the multiple threads regarding criminal activity in DR may be slightly overblown. on one hand i keep hearing how the Dominican people as a whole are honest people, then on the other hand im reading threads suggesting the hiring of night watchman and armed guards to protect family and home , i mean come on. im planning to visit in march and now am scared to death. am i just reading too much into these threads or what?

  2. #2
    Gold
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Staying in a hotel or elsewhere? Until we know how much you know about living in DR it is difficult to pitch advice at the right level. But if you're coming to a hotel & you're a sensible person & behave sensibly then you should be just fine. Have you looked at the travel Forums?

  3. #3
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    3,791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So as to not hijack the other thread which is designed more to give tips on safer living in the DR, I will answer your question (as it seems to me) on this thread you started.

    Is criminal activity in the DR being overblown?? In relation to criminal activity in many other countries, yes maybe we ARE over-blowing things here - it is not as bad as many other countries that tourists go to quite happily. In relation to what the criminal activity in the DR was 4, 5 or 6 years ago - NO, we are not over-blowing it. It IS getting worse & will get even more obviously worse before it gets better.

    If night-watchmen with guns "scares you to death" then the DR is NOT the place for you to come on holiday (I assume your visit IS a holiday?). Many men walk the streets with guns in their waistbands, police are to be seen carrying all sorts of weapons (some are even loaded!) & security guards with automatic pistols or pump shotguns are on patrol at nearly all public places & hotel compound entrances.

    Maybe Florida, Southern Spain or Egypt might give you a greater sense of security! ~ Grahame.

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BushBaby View Post
    Maybe Florida, Southern Spain or Egypt might give you a greater sense of security! ~ Grahame.
    Egypt ? certainly not ! I felt much more insecure in the streets of Sharm-El-Sheik (2005) than last year in DR driving a car for 2 weeks in the whole country ! and smiles are a big difference !

  5. #5
    Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Next time you are in NY take a walk in Central Part at 2AM them see what scared is. The DR is as safe as anyplace, just use your common sense. You would not do as I suggested in NY nor the DR.

  6. #6
    On Vaction without a return ticket!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Over blown....

    You should not be afraid to visit the DR, period.

    I feel safer here than I do on the streets in America or most European countries.

    Fearmongering is common on this site as so many of the posters love to be negative. If we posted the 'real' everyday positives as much as the occasional negative it'd become pretty boring reading.

    Have a great vacation and treat your trip the same as if you were going to any other lovely, sunny and fabulous destination.

    Jack

  7. #7
    DR1
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDREYWILLIAMS View Post
    is it possible that the multiple threads regarding criminal activity in DR may be slightly overblown. on one hand i keep hearing how the Dominican people as a whole are honest people, then on the other hand im reading threads suggesting the hiring of night watchman and armed guards to protect family and home , i mean come on. im planning to visit in march and now am scared to death. am i just reading too much into these threads or what?
    Start reading some message boards about New York, LA or London if you really want to be scared The DR is visited by 1000's of tourists every year and 99.9% of these are never a victim of crime. I guess if you feel that the odds are staked against you and you might fall it to that 0.1% category, then I would head towards Jamaica

    People slow down at car wrecks, why is that?

  8. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    883
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I visit the DR at least once a year. I stay at a hotel but I do go off the resort day and night. As someone mentioned use your common sense, that's what I do. There is crime everywhere in the world. So far have not had any bad experiences nothing but good I have done a lot of reading on this site which has helped me on every trip!

    The DR is a great place that's why it has me coming back every year!!!

  9. #9
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For example, in my opinion, The DR is much safer than Miami.

  10. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default My experience

    As long as you use comon sense, you should not be any more afraid of visiting the DR than any other place. I don't live in the DR, but I have been there 5 times in the last 6 years as a tourist. We have stayed in AI resorts, small private hotels, rental villas, and always felt safe. We usually rent motorcycles and get WAY off the beaten path, and NEVER have had any problems. The Dominican people as a whole are friendly and helpful.

    Don't get me wrong, crime does happen, but usually it is to those who flaunt money or jewelry or look affluent. Do not draw attention to yourself, and use common sense and you should have a great time in the DR.

    bob

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •