Samba dance lessons in Santo Domingo?

jamiear

Oct 4, 2006
Does anyone know where I can take samba lessons at a studio in Santo Domingo? Thank you.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The only place I have seen this danced is in hotel shows and it usually isn't very good.....LOL

Samba isn't danced here in clubs and we don't have that music either.

jamiear

Oct 4, 2006
It is a performance style dance mostly. I think that maybe the only people who dance samba here also dance hip-hop and other cross-over styles--maybe dance on stage with popular musicians, national shows, and in music videos. I will check out those avenues. Thanks.

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
Hope this is not too late...

Ecos Espacio de Danza
Av W Churchill 1018
Santo Domingo
(809) 562-4577

Awilda Polanco, who is one of the most prominent contemporary dancers living in the Dominican Republic, directs this school. She studied Portuguese with me a few years ago, but unfortunately the school does not offer Samba lessons at the moment. I was talking with Awilda on the phone and she told me that they teach capoeira, tai-chi, pilates and other new-agie stuff (well, she didn't refer to them on those terms :)). They have plans to bring in someone to teach samba too.

I tasked her if she could give me the contact information of a samba teacher, but she said she didn't have it at the moment. I will recommend you to stoy by Ecos and see what they have to offer for yourself. It's located on Churchill Avenue, near the American Airlines office and the ROS building. Maybe she will give you the samba teacher's numbers. Tell Awilda I sent you.

If you remember me, you will recall that I could have been your Spanish tutor. I hope you found my substitute and that your Spanish is getting better each day. Judging by what I've read on your posts, you seem to be adapting yourself pretty well to life in Santo Domingo.

That's it for now...