Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican viruses

What is your experience with Dominican viruses, bacteria, etc. ? Last year, I had some sugar cane in SD and after a few days got fever. This year, in PP, my wife got strong fever too. No anitibiotics, but it lasted for 2 weeks, almost. I'm curious about the non-Domincans', especially North Americans', resistance to local viruses. Are we strong enough, or do we need medical protection ? Specific experiences shared with forum members is welcome.
    Thank you.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Threee of our friends came back to Toronto from DR with pink eye infection. All of them. One is in serious condition, in hospital. They don't know how they got it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Most illnesses that tourists seem to get are related to food. Even though I have been livng here for almost 3 years, I never eat any kind of salad (unless is boiled or I make it), I always clean the tips of the bottles, glasses or cans with napkins.

There are some diseases you can get from mosquitoes, but that, is just bad luck.

Wag

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The only viruses I've had are computer related . Bacterial & parasitical problems are possible. In 14+ years of living here I've had one bout of schistosomiasis and 2 of giardiasis. Both are easily treatable once detected. Prevention is the best advice & as far as I'm aware andrewc one can't medicate against these things in advance. So yes, we're strong enough.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    The only viruses I've had are computer related . Bacterial & parasitical problems are possible. In 14+ years of living here I've had one bout of schistosomiasis and 2 of giardiasis. Both are easily treatable once detected. Prevention is the best advice & as far as I'm aware andrewc one can't medicate against these things in advance. So yes, we're strong enough.
    Wow ... giardiasis ! Used to sound scary to me, but in DR it might sound different. Thank you, anyway.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default toxoplasmosis

i suspect i contracted toxoplasmosis from the DR....via food which may have come in contact with cat feces. it almost caused some blindness in one eye.
    i suspect it was from the DR given my blood results indicated my recent contration of toxo'. i remember eating at one of those road stalls in pop that hang the pork on string above their cooking cart. they then take it down and cook it in oil . But as i said i 'think ' i picked it up in the DR!!!!!!!!!!!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The more often I go to the DR, the less affected by bugs I am. Heck, the last two trips I never used any Immodium. Those were firsts. I'm postulating that more exposure builds resistance.

But I still won't drink anything that doesn't come out of a new bottle, and I strongly inquire of restaurants HOW they clean and prepare food (I'm in the restaurant/bar business...), and how they make ice.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default comida dominicana

my first case of comida dominicana lasted a week. cause: dominican sausage.
    second case, also from dominican sausage (you'd think i have learnt...) three days.
    now, god knows where from - i have intestinal infection and this parasite, girdiasis, or whatever. few days of suffering and few days off work (there are some good things about getting ill). minus few pounds.

my biggest problem is bloody air con - it dries my eyes and contact lenses and blocks my sinuses. you think humidifier will help?

anyways, every time i fall ill i am knocked out for less and less time. so i guess yes, we are getting some immunity...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    my biggest problem is bloody air con - it dries my eyes and contact lenses and blocks my sinuses. you think humidifier will help?
    No, but Lasik will...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

no lasik for me, my sight is not stable, it's getting worse about one point a year...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast