Car Or Motorcycle

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
How much cheaper is it to rent a motorcycle over a small car in the Cabarete/Sosua area? Do you get the motorcycles at the airport too?
Thanks in advance
Steve

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
as someone who rides a 'proper' motorbike (Honda CBR 600) when I'm at home... The difference would have to involve me being paid a *huge* amount to make the difference worthwhile!

Unless you are an experience bike rider all year around, I'd have to question why anyone would want to be on two wheels in DR, especially if they can afford four? In shorts and no helmet, with crap roads, poor standard of driving and goodness knows if/when an ambulance will turn up... ask how much is your head worth?

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
as someone who rides a 'proper' motorbike (Honda CBR 600) when I'm at home... The difference would have to involve me being paid a *huge* amount to make the difference worthwhile!

Unless you are an experience bike rider all year around, I'd have to question why anyone would want to be on two wheels in DR, especially if they can afford four? In shorts and no helmet, with crap roads, poor standard of driving and goodness knows if/when an ambulance will turn up... ask how much is your head worth?

Maybe I'm nuts, but I feel safer on a bike than in a car on the roads. I feel a gringo in a car is a target for enterprising locals to stage an "accident" and try to get money or bribes. When on a bike, I feel that I can manuever easier, avoid trouble spots and not wait behind numerous other wide vehicles when there is only room for one to get through. I am an experienced rider and maybe that does make a difference.

We just rented 225cc 4 cycle Yamahas for $18 USD a day in Samana, while a car would have been 4 times that much. Cabarete rentals were usually $20 to $22 a day for 125 cc bikes. I don't like the "pasolas" because they have small wheels and there are a lot of potholes. If you don't see one and hit it wrong that could be trouble.

I just think there is less of a chance you will get hit while parked, and it is much more convenient to move about on and park a motorcycle. But being alert and defensive are always top priorities...even if you rent a car.