Belize

Status
Not open for further replies.

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
A friend of mine is moving to belize. Has anyone here ever been to lived in Belize? Also, are there any Dominicans in Belize? Does anyone have an opinion on Belize's economyor its future?

Thanks

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Belize residency visa

I have read they have recently added a rather high annual income requirement for a foreigner to have a residency visa. $60K US.
There are some very appealing real estate opportunities but read termite problems are usually the reason for the bargains

G

gary short

Real estate is through the roof. The government is usually corrupt. The cays are now owned by wealthy foreigners. Belize is for Belizians so don't get caught working there. Don't even think of trying to get help from a cop as they're all gangsters protecting Cartel business.......in short.....kinda like the DR.....

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i believe that they now are having serious problems with a rather nasty poisonous snake. the building boom built a lot of nice houses in their habitat. being good belizians these snakes are not leaving and seem to be adjusting well to suburbia..........the bite from one of these snakes is worse than the rattlesnake in the US. Belize went from a handful of bites a year to the point that it is a common occurence, everyday. when a lot of the forest was cut down the snakes moved to suburbia. twenty years ago it was a happening place, lots of ex-pats moving down there, cheap land, gringoes were a novelty and very welcome. from what i here the novelty has worn off for the natives...........it is also a long, expensive flight to the states. DR to miami on the other hand is less than a 2 hour flight, 4 to NY. DR is also big enough that you can actually get in the car and drive to someplace, unlike other carribean islands where you can circle the whole island in an hour.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
There are Dominicans in every country in the world...

I have a Dominican friend who lives in Belize with his Belize born wife. They met in College here in The US. As far as I know he's doing great down there, even though I haven't talked to him in a very long time.

His last name is Namis, so maybe you could look him up in the white pages.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
I would recommend Xcalak, Mexico. No Dominicans that I am aware of, but a thirty minute boat ride to Belize.

Sollie

G

gary short

The Fer-de-iance is extremely agressive and venomous. Another reason to reconsider walking through the jungle.......some big cats back there as well.

G

gary short

I would recommend Xcalak, Mexico. No Dominicans that I am aware of, but a thirty minute boat ride to Belize.

Sollie

So people still live in that sh!thole Xcalak. HAHAHA......the last time I was there a bunch of bales of Peruvian marching powder washed ashore and the locals cashed in and left for parts unknown.......

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Eye of the beholder

So people still live in that sh!thole Xcalak. HAHAHA......the last time I was there a bunch of bales of Peruvian marching powder washed ashore and the locals cashed in and left for parts unknown.......

Gary,
Don't know the last time you were there but a year and a half ago it was populated. Pristine white sand beaches, water safe to swim in, magnificent coral right off the beach, the largest ( and protected) atol in the western hemishere a short jaunt offshore, diving to die for (wrecks, walls, caves, take your pick), abundant sealife, virgin mangrove bay as far as the eye can see, world class angling, friendly people, affordable beach lots, no motoconchos ... quite the sh!thole.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.