Passports

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I'm not sure

I don't think it is mandatory to have a passport to fly to the Dominican Republic yet. I don't know when it will become mandatory, but I'm sure you could check on the Canadian Embassy's website.

In the meantime, I applied in person for a passport in Mississauga last week Feb 1st and I just picked it up yesterday. When I was at the passport office yesterday Feb 8. I found that the lineups were not too long if you were there like I was at 8:00 AM sharp when they opened.

Right now it is mandatory to have a passport to fly into or through the USA. I do not like to transfer or take flights that stop through the US, but if you are transferring planes in the US you will need it.

I find that each passport office is different. The one I went to was very efficient. There is even a pre-screening that you can do online so that when you get to the passport office, you can just take a number and submit your application...it's really fast...

passport

A U.S. law that took effect on Jan. 23, 2007, requires that all Canadians flying to the U.S. have a valid passport.

Canadians do not need a passport to visit the DR, unless there are going through or returning via the USA.

Halifax or Toronto as an example direct to DR and direct return doesnt require a passport, birth certificate and photo i.d.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I don't kno where this theme is going to lead. Possibly to another slam-bang against theUS because that government has seen fit to make it a requirement to prove one's citizenship of a country before they can enter, or transit US territory.
Look at it as an administrative measure to control transits and keep an eye on those who use the facilities offered by the US to travelers by car or aircraft while traveling to another destination.
As to Canadian requirements, well I recall spending several hours on an aircraft that hadto stop for fuel at a Canadian Airport in the60's. We weren't allowed to leave the aircraft for anything. The flight originated in Germany anad terminated at Mcguire AFB on the East Coast. Passengers were a mix of civilian and military.
Why?? Customs and Immigration didn't want to clearin & out for such a short stop and I don't blame them. Besides, theinconvenience was short lived.

If one puts their thinking cap on, this requirement for proper identification of travelers is justified forsecurity reasons. So, just "grin and bear it". A passport may cost one a few bucks, but you can then travel anyplace you like, provided you have theappropriate visas, of course.

Texas Bill

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Canadians do not need a passport to visit the DR, unless there are going through or returning via the USA.

As always you are right Wud!:cheeky:

I don't know what I was reading when I thought it said the Caribbean as well.
Well there, now I don't have an excuse not to vacation in the DR;) , oh, wait yes I do, no cheap seats from the frigid northern area I live in !!:ermm:

Sorry for the mistake.

Marlie

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Wood is correct

The new law only applies to anyone entering the US. The days of traveling with just a birth certificate or photo ID are over, which makes sense anyway.
A traveler without a passport is like a vehicle out of gas.
The price of it may **** you off or the time to wait, but come on, a US passport is worth more than gold in any country i've ever visited. Be proud you can even get one, grin and bear it, as stated previously. It's about control of entry.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
, but come on, a US passport is worth more than gold in any country i've ever visited. Be proud you can even get one, grin and bear it, as stated previously. It's about control of entry.

I can think of a few you haven't visited then............:laugh: :laugh:

Of course a passport is a minimal requirement. Who are the folks who would have happily travelled anywhere without one? What if the aircraft got diverted...............? Or had an alternate outside its own territory?

I know it was allowed for US citizens in the past but would anyone seriously feel diplomatically covered, so to speak, travelling without a passport when you could end up in a country where you had no way of proving your identity? Doesn't fit my 'damage control' mantra...........;)

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
The new law only applies to anyone entering the US. The days of traveling with just a birth certificate or photo ID are over, which makes sense anyway.
A traveler without a passport is like a vehicle out of gas.
The price of it may **** you off or the time to wait, but come on, a US passport is worth more than gold in any country i've ever visited. Be proud you can even get one, grin and bear it, as stated previously. It's about control of entry.

Well, since I am Canadian I don't think a US passport would be worth its weight in gold for me!!! ;) Particularly, since I don't qualify for one!

Anyway, I have a passport so this wasn't about me. I thought I would put out the info for any Canadians out there that might just decide to jump on a plane at the last minute, only to find out they can't! But now I find out they can - so this is basically a non-issue now. With the exception of those Canadians who are going to be on flights that are connecting in the US.

Gosh, now I am really sorry for posting (besides the fact that I had the wrong facts LOL).

I think it is agreed amongst all that travelling without a passport these days is not a wise thing.

I might add for us DR1'rs that live close to border towns, that we still can cross the border into the US by car, board a plane in the US for a domestic flight only(eg: Minneapolis to Miami) and not need a passport, but we still cannot board a plane in Minneapolis and fly to the DR without a passport. This I know as I checked this out with the government website.

Marlie