Orange cell phone info

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I bought an Orange GSM SIM card from a dealer in SoSewer in October 2004. I've never really had a problem with it around the DR except for the usual lack of good coverage areas-which has gotten better over time. I chose Orange because I can pop their SIM card into my Cingular/AT&T Razr V3i and have access to my US and DR phone book.

On one occasion I didn't retirn to the DR within 60 days, and upon entry found I had no pesos stored on my account when I should have had around 200. I called Orange and was told by customer service (quite friendly, polite and helpful, BTW, and the gal I spoke with used decent English) that your phone needs to be "recharged" within 60 days or you lose your credits.

No problem. When I'm away, I've have the Sweet Alida buy an Orange card and call the number on it, enter my #, enter the code, and the phone is "recharged" without me or the phone being there.

Last week she tried doing that and couldn't. That option is no longer available. You have to call customer service, give the name on the account, the account password and the Orange card code to get it recharged.

Here's the rub: seems the "dealer" I bought the SIM card from wasn't an official dealer, because my name was not on the account-even though I gave him a copy of my passport to use in the purchase. Therefore I cannot recharge the phone remotely (out of country), even if I have the password that came with the Sim card in the crystal case. I can do a account name change at an official Orange store next week.

Their current policy is this: if the SIM card is not "recharged" every 90 days, the phone number and all credit is lost, deactivated for 6 months, and then resold.

Just thought you might find this info helpful. Buy an Orange SIM cards from an official dealer or you may have some problems.