exporting wood

mariposa34

Jan 16, 2003
What are the best woods available for export in the DR? I work for a Resort development company and am looking to import wood into the united states and also for use on a large project in the DR and in the Bahamas. I'm looking for wood for flooring, not wood for the actual construction. Is bamboo grown in the DR? Any other good woods?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
What are the best woods available for export in the DR? I work for a Resort development company and am looking to import wood into the united states and also for use on a large project in the DR and in the Bahamas. I'm looking for wood for flooring, not wood for the actual construction. Is bamboo grown in the DR? Any other good woods?

The DR is a net importer of woods. The high rate of deforestation in the DR has brought about protectionist measures against logging in the DR. There is no commercial lumbering or related industries in the DR. Try South America (Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, Surinam...)

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
If there's a need for woods in DR, I wonder why the industry hasn't grown? With the country's good climate and fertile ground, why hasn't anyone come up with seed-money for large-scale farming? Pine trees can be harvested in as little as five years. Bamboo doesn't take much longer either. No entiendo.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
If there's a need for woods in DR, I wonder why the industry hasn't grown? With the country's good climate and fertile ground, why hasn't anyone come up with seed-money for large-scale farming? Pine trees can be harvested in as little as five years. Bamboo doesn't take much longer either. No entiendo.

Not a chance, too many goats, the goats will eat the seedlings..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If there's a need for woods in DR, I wonder why the industry hasn't grown?

The goat story sounds real plausible I must admit. But the real reason is that there are legal obstacles. I am not fully up to date with the laws but what I know is that one needs permission to log. So, by the time that the harvest has grown to a stage that one can log, the government may just decide that your harvest belongs to them. ;)

There is better information somewhere on this site. Perhaps do a few searches to find it.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
.... Try South America (Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, Surinam...)
...... NIMBY. Consider using other products like ceramic floor, bamboo, coated/finished particle wood, dirt, .... but please save the world's forests. Have you hugged a tree today? :ermm:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Some legal logging is done by a few people. Most illegal logging is done by military personnel.
The legal logging is done by Plan Sierra working out of San Jos? de las Matas.
There is some done by the Le?n Jim?nes family near Bonao.
There is some legal harvesting of mesquite and other scrub trees by charcoal makers for export (mostlyto hait?)

However, hardwoods that you are looking for were harvested in the latter half of the XIX century....all gone, and they are so slow growing that it would be a centruy or so to see some more....lignum Vitae for example...

HB

Oh yeah, the WHY no investment? NO guarantee that after you have the trees grown up you will be able to harvest them. Manuel Arsenio Ure?a, one of the nation's NOTABLES, was thinking of doing this, (after all, he is growing macadamia for export) but he backed away for the lack of any guarantee whatsoever....

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
like the Gobi desert...

....There is some legal harvesting of mesquite and other scrub trees by charcoal makers for export (mostlyto hait?)....

HB, you mean illegal harvesting!

Like army ants, Haitians (including Dominicans) are gathering every available twig and stick in the DR's border provinces, and turning them into charcoal, under the complicit eyes of local authorities. The entire Southwest is starting to look like the Gobi desert. The charcoal is exported through Haiti to the entire Caribbean. At the expense of our forests, trade statistic shows that Haiti is one of the world's top charcoal exporter...

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Honduras is a good place to look too. In fact, I believe that's where most of DR's imported Caoba comes from.

Some legal logging is done by a few people. Most illegal logging is done by military personnel.
The legal logging is done by Plan Sierra working out of San Jos? de las Matas.
There is some done by the Le?n Jim?nes family near Bonao.
There is some legal harvesting of mesquite and other scrub trees by charcoal makers for export (mostlyto hait?)

However, hardwoods that you are looking for were harvested in the latter half of the XIX century....all gone, and they are so slow growing that it would be a centruy or so to see some more....lignum Vitae for example...

HB

Oh yeah, the WHY no investment? NO guarantee that after you have the trees grown up you will be able to harvest them. Manuel Arsenio Ure?a, one of the nation's NOTABLES, was thinking of doing this, (after all, he is growing macadamia for export) but he backed away for the lack of any guarantee whatsoever....

I hear Bon's Macadamia project is going pretty well ...soon moving into mass commercialization, in fact.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
...I hear Bon's Macadamia project is going pretty well ...soon moving into mass commercialization, in fact.

Helados Bon is not growing macademia for lumber, but for the nuts, for their macademia nut ice cream.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mirador: No, I meant legal harvesting. There was an article in the paper about 6-8 months ago about a group in the south, your area, that is supposedly "managing" some land for charcoal production....

Not a major point, but part of the initial reasoning for "bosque seco" projects was charcoal production under forestry management protocols. There was a large one in Mao, if memory serves.

HB