US Cell Phones in the DR

traveler04

Jul 22, 2006
I have searched for information on US Cell Phones in the DR and come up empty. My question is this: Can you buy a cell phone in the US (with out a plan if that is even possible) to give as a gift for someone in the DR? Would they be able to use it....buy min. etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated or if this topic has been discussed please point me in the right direction to find the information. Thank you.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Using the Search...........

Click the Search menu. Use Advanced Search, search for "unlocked+cell+phone". Click "Show the results as threads". You will find numerous threads on cell phones in the DR.

A quick answer is yes, you can buy an unlocked gsm international phone in the US for use in the DR on the Orange network with no problems. Verizon uses a different type of network so a different type of phone would be needed. Read the past posts and all the info you need will be there.

Welcome to DR1.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Buy an unlocked GSM found, such as is used by Cingular or T Mobile. Take it to an Orange store and get a number, SIM card, and time card (unless you want to sign up for one of their plans that you pay monthly for)

Verizon uses CDMA. If you get one of those phones you will have to take it to Verizon to get a number and time card.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
What about Canadian phones??

I have searched but most cell phone info refers to US phones. Anyone using a Canadian cell phone and which type is or can be easily unlocked? Is it easier to just purchase one when we get there? Thanks

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I need Verizon service in Sosua so I bought a phone in the US from Ebay and took it to Verizon to get it activated and to buy minutes - no problem.

For Orange, if you have an international phone that has a sim card, you can swap sim cards from your US phone to the international phone. The only problem here is the calls incoming and outcoming are about $2 each.

Ro

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
For Orange, if you have an international phone that has a sim card, you can swap sim cards from your US phone to the international phone. The only problem here is the calls incoming and outcoming are about $2 each.
Just get 1 unlocked quad-band GSM phone and you can stick in local SIM cards around the world.