Items stolen at POP airport

A

apostropheman

recently both a friend and i had things stolen while at <acronym title="Puerto Plata Airport (Gregorio Luperon International)">POP</acronym> airport. we flew different days and i was on continental.

my friend had pesos removed from his wallet and i had my camera and work cell phone removed from my bags while going thru the xray machine.

when our stuff was being examined we were, seperately, distracted by the security guy once we'd gone thru the metal detector. security did a hand search of my person while my stuff was out of site and behind me. similarly for my friend.

i'd never had anything stolen like this before so i didn't even think to check. they got my camera and SD card as well as my phone. unfortunately for them both are pretty worthless as my phone does not work in the DR and my camera requires a cradle to charge and transfer pics.

if anyone has a casio Z750 digital they wish to sell at a reasonable price please PM me ...i need a new camera

Last edited by a moderator:
A

apostropheman

i guess it doesn't matter what airline we were flying as i think the xray machines are common to all. don't want to needlessly slag continental :D

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, this happened to me once in La Guardia airport in New York. Since then, I make a big fuss if anyone wants to part me from my goods coming through the x-ray machine and I tell anyone that wants to listen very loudly that they can search me all they want, but only after I have my bag back in my hands.
Sorry that this happened to you.

Sep 19, 2005
sorry to hear about the loss. At STI the xray machines they have dont seem to lend themselves to letting the workers open anything up with out you seeing it. Unless they pull you aside or down the line.....on departure they have a line of people who are being patted down....but it is on a long table right next to where your stuff leaves the xray conveyor....I know I put my wallet and watch and anything in my pcokets into my carry on so, that they are not out in the open in those trays that also go through the xray machine.

thats where Id think people would lose stuff...because anyone can grab something in one of those tote pans in a flash and you wont know who did it.....now my belt and shoes are the only thing that goes into the totoe pans....and i dont talk to the person checking you when you walk through the xray door...and i dont let anyone distract me when I try to be right there when my bag comes out of the machine....not all the workers trying to help with your bags , or the people waiting for their bag...I dont care....I am focused on when my bag comes out.

but again...It seems like STI is a breeze

bob

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Same thing happens regularly since the "El Catey" Saman? Airport opened... It's a shame...

They tried that **** at PUJ on my wifes purse and walet but I grabbed it and pushed the guy back and then called for a supervisor by yelling No propina No propina supervisor por favor very loudly. supervisor looked in the purse and waved us on, this was going out of the country not coming in.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
About 10 years ago after my purse passed through the xray machine I caought the guy going through my wallet. I caused a scene he said he was just checking my items. Since then I do carry cash or any valuables in my purse or carry on, therefore eliminating the problem. Cash I hide and we only have a few ones on our person.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After ALL,This IS The Dominican Republic!!!!

They start stealing when you arrive,steal the entire time you are here,and then why would you expect them NOT to steal on your way out??? It's their last chance until you come back!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My wallet and important papers are ALWAYS buried deep in my zipped briefcase; I put my watch, PDA and cell phone in it before I get to the Xray machine well before I get there. If they want to steal stuff, it's gonna take some effort and I'll see them. And normally they have to ask to open it-right ion front of me.

Take your shoes and belt off well before you get to the security queue-one less distraction as you go through. Just accept the fact you'll be getting your socks dirty, not a thing you can do about it. I walk up to security with my belt tightly coiled in my shoes and briefcase zipped up tight. In all the years I've traveled, never had one problem.

Never, ever, ever, ever put your watch, rings, wallet and small valuables in one of those small open dishes they use for Xray. And NEVER leave the Xray area until you get all your stuff. Stand right there and stare at your stuff coming out; do NOT let the security workers distract or move you along.

Sep 19, 2005
put a a small pad lock on the zippers to your carryon...then they need to ask you to open it...thus you are right there...a key wont set off an alarm....I took my watch off most of the time, but the last few trips i see guys in front of me go through the xray machine with their watch still on their wrist.....plus many women wear jewelry and i wear a gold chain that doesnt set off the x ray machine./...so

padlock the carryon.......mess with their head!

bob

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
put a a small pad lock on the zippers to your carryon...then they need to ask you to open it...thus you are right there...a key wont set off an alarm....I took my watch off most of the time, but the last few trips i see guys in front of me go through the xray machine with their watch still on their wrist.....plus many women wear jewelry and i wear a gold chain that doesnt set off the x ray machine./...so

padlock the carryon.......mess with their head!

bob
Good points. My luggage is fully locked with those TSA locks. I'll buy 4 more to lock my briefcase carryon.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I always do what Chris said. I only let them search me if I have my bag with me. It has happened twice. Carry-on goes through x-ray machine, I get called to the side and I immediately say "SURE JUST LET ME FETCH MY BAG". This has happened at STI over the years. Just twice like I mentioned.

vickat20

Aug 2, 2005
same thing happened to me at POP. They only took some costume jewelry, but nevertheless, it still is such a violation. I will definitely be much more careful if I fly through there again. :angry:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
What are TSA locks?

They are baggage locks approved by the TSA, that allows them to unlock your luggage without you needing to be there and also prevents them from breaking the lock, if they need to open it. If they open it, a color code shows you that they opened the bag after you checked it in.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
They are baggage locks approved by the TSA, that allows them to unlock your luggage without you needing to be there and also prevents them from breaking the lock, if they need to open it. If they open it, a color code shows you that they opened the bag after you checked it in.
Not to say Bad Guys don't have TSA keys, as I'm sure they do. BG's can always get into locks (just like your home or car). But it certainly slows them down. I also bury the "good stuff" at the bottom of the bag. If the BG's want it, they're gonna have to dig deep; it will just deter the not-totally BG's somewhat.

You can't eliminate the risks. Best you can do is mitigate them.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Dr

World Travelers, has anyone had bags violated at other airports in the world, or is this particular to the DR? Just curious. And what did you do?