Seafood in Santiago

C

Chip00

We ate at Marisco Center and I had the "grilled" lobster and the wife filet of mero but found neither to be anything special. Also, it came out to be RD2300 and that included 1 beer and two kids meals. It was a really nice atmosphere and since it was a present for the wife for Valentines day I figured what the heck. However, I won't be returning an time soon(ok never!)

Anybody in the know where there is a seafood restaurant along the lines of Maimon but here locally?

Thanks

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I agree on Marisco Center. It's OK, nothing spectacular, not bad, but not a huge bang for the buck. Huge place however.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And that used to be such a nice house. One of the more historical ones in Old Santiago....

Try the Sushi-ya on the corner of 10th street and Metropolitana?
Or the seafood at the Pez Dorado? Maroma?

Why not go up to Maimon, along the highway (yeah, right! THEY call it a highway but now it's more like a cattle path!!!! Yea government!!)before RIU.

There are five or six places to eat good fish.. And it will cost you less than you spent at that place--travel included

HB

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
There are five or six places to eat good fish.. And it will cost you less than you spent at that place--travel included

HB

Word up HB!!!

You can go to Maimon with 300 pesos of gas (round trip). A nice mero meal will run you about 200 and change. I'd rather go to Maimon.

Chip - Although I haven't been to Pez Dorado in a long time last time I was there the food was real good. I also had langosta a la termidor (not sure how to say in English) at Camp David and it was DELICIOUS.

Guillen

Jan 5, 2007
There is a new Italian restaurant (can't remember the name) but it's directly across from Mezzaluna in Villa Olga. The owner is from Milan but with a southern Italian flavor. Really good seafood dishes at a good price with very good ambiance and service.
I Recommend with no hesitation.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
There is also a little place next door to La Compania (?sp) bakery & sandwich shop just off Texas Avenue. Not bad.

Also La Bahia on the corner across from Mr. Movies over close to Maroma. Good fish..cheap.

Dianne

Sep 19, 2005
Pez Dorado is a nice place, but it is NOT cheap...I dropped 4Gs there for me and my THIN girlfriend......I MIGHT have had 2 bottles of wine......dont know what they cost as part of the bill..

didnt have the fish so i dont know about that end......

bob

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
You get what you ask for

Funny experience had at the Pez Dorado. Danny and I went there for dinner and he asked for Mero Plancha with a butter, lemon & wine sauce. When the plate came, he had the fish in the middle surrounded by lime slices, a little tiny glass of nasty white wine and a glob of butter nestled between the limes. Guess it was supposed to be a "roll your own"! Had a good laugh over it.

And yes...it is a touch pricey. For the amount that they (Pez Dorado) charge, I much prefer El Rancho Steak House (great steaks, fish, salads, bearnaise sauce, etc.) To me it's much better food and you can actually see what you're eating! We love to sit in the "Living Room" after dinner and have coffee and chat with friends.

Dianne

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Hillbilly:
What is the name of the small fish restaurant a couple of blocks from you on the street that runs by the side of the Gran Almirante? It fronts on the park. Delores and I ate there a number of times last summer. Very excellent food and priced right for the quality.