Customs Rip-Offs continue

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Have been living here 10 years. and rarely bring anything home when I come back for the obvious reasons. My brother came for a visit so I asked him to bring me a new T.V. 32" flat panel. Cost at Sears 850.00 dollars. Now I have no problem paying my fair share of taxes after all we live here but customs wants 1,070 dollars in taxes. No wonder the free trade zones are shut down nobody wants to do business here. Always with there hands out. One way or the other.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Next time put it in your suitcase and give the guy a propina and it won't even be opened. $5 is plenty, and will save you a lot of money and grief.

"When in Rome do as the Romans do."

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Next time put it in your suitcase and give the guy a propina and it won't even be opened. $5 is plenty, and will save you a lot of money and grief.

"When in Rome do as the Romans do."

You can't fit a 32" flat-panel in a suit case.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Computer Monitor vs. TV

The reason you weren't hit with import duty may be that at the time you entered the DR, computer equipment wasn't being taxed. I seem to recall that the tax on computer equipment was waived during the start of the Fernandez administration. But it may have been restored, and then may have been removed! Sorry I can't say for certain if this is the case, but I'm sure someone in DR1's community can set me straight on that.
In any case, a TV which can also function as a computer monitor might possibly be allowed in, duty free, assuming my assumptions, above, are correct.
I myself have been tempted to try this approach, as there are flat screen TVs in the 20'' to 30" size (and above) which have the capability to act as CRTs.

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
I totally agree with Sky. I always have $ 5 by hand when I have stuff with me that should be taxed. If its a lot I am even willing to pay $ 10 once in a while. Yes, it's a bribe and I know it shoudnt be like that but everything is better then paying a lot of tax and have to wait to get home.
I like things to happen fast and easy.

hjocelyn

Feb 21, 2007
www.puntacanalife.com
I am a little confused.
I fly in and out of Punta Cana frequently.
Last month we decided to bring in some things for the home ( just some bed covers, decor, etc...) we brought a large suitcase.

This was the first time we were ever stopped- and I was very surprised.
We did not have to pay anything, but since they were checking, we asked the Customs guy what would be the fee for bringing in a small TV- he said it was 75% - 100% (???)
Yesterday I asked someone to give me a quote on some merchandise via truck to Punta Cana from Puerto Rico. I asked the TV question again...
-He told me Customs usually charges him 400- 500$ for this price/size TV.
The TV is abt a 2?+"

Now are there any set rates? or do they just make them up as they go???

Jocelyn
info@puntacanalife.com

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Great news as of this morning through persistence customs has decided to drop all taxes on my T.V. Of course it took over a month many visits and phone calls morning and afternoon. Can only say I guess they are not use to AMERICANS BUGGING THE HELL OUT OF THEM.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I guess they are not use to AMERICANS BUGGING THE HELL OUT OF THEM.
I applaud your efforts, as you just helped the whole expat community by showing we are not a bunch of pu$$ies !!! Next time, they'll think twice before trying to pull up a fast one on gringos !!!

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Once the t. v is already there, try to talk to the supervisor, bring someone with you that can negotiate with them and hopefully they can lower that taxes, because that's what I did and the third time that I went there I got a good deal.Good Luck