tipping

mags

Feb 8, 2007
What do you think is the best method of tipping hotel staff? I heard that small gifts are appreciated. What about $$? Or pesos? Mags

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i always bring gifts for the staff that i am personaly friendly with.

I always leave tip on the bed for the maids on my last day there with note saying gracias.

I've told the owner what i leave for them...and told me it was way too much...but i dont mind...i usualy have a few hundred pesos in my pocket at the end of the trip...and i have been told that was more generous.

Gifts are only appropriate when you actualy have some sorta connection with that person...otherwise you might just be giving them some junt they dont need.

I did give the pool guy/maintanance dude some of my personal clothes one year...he was VERY greatful.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I always bring little gifts for the hotel maids and also give them cash. Depending on where I am going, I usually take gifts to give to the children. I always ask the maids if they have kids and then if they do, I give them a few of those things too.

Make sure you give it to them personally and include a note so that they are allowed to take it home and not get in trouble in case someone accuses them of stealing.

I don't like to wait until the last day as I want them to know I appreciate their hard work while I am there. So I usually try to give them a couple of dollars each time I see them. That also helps to make sure you have lots of water in the room!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
After reading a lot of threads on this subject, it seems like most people tip each day and usually anywhere around $2.00-$5.00 US per day.

I agree with Lexi about the gifts. You must let a manager know if you intend to leave small gifts (ie: perfume,nail polish etc.) as they will get questioned when leaving the resort to go home. At least that was the way it was when I worked at POP Village and Playa Naco.

The money is much more appreciated, in my opinion. If you leave it daily, it shows good faith and the cleaning staff will go out of their way to make sure everything is up to snuff for you.

Marlie

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Does everybody tip when they stay in a hotel?? I have never done that! Thats makes me look really bad now....going to have to start tipping!

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
The cleaning ladies are always very happy to receive a cash gift. I get a good feeling inside when I am able to just make someone's day for them.
It's OK to be generous.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i stayed in the hotel i left few tips upon departure. the hotel was small so after a week one would know everyone. i'd leave the tip for the maid and kitchen staff.
now we solve tipping problem by few boxes of brulgal handed over to the condominium staff at the end of the year. bottles are passed when we ask them to do some extra work for us.