What's the best way to travel with money ???

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
My friend and I will be travelling to Punta Cana on an extended vacation for 2 months...We will need about 5-6K for the 2 month stay...what is the best way to travel with that kind of money...we are planning to use credit card at the grocery store in Higuey...but is it best to withdraw money as we need it...use travellers cheques....Just looking for some advice about this one...Thanks :glasses:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
mix it up

Bring travelers-checks, bank cards (at least two), and some cash. If you are robbed, your travelers-checks can be replaced and if you use an ATM machine and it chews up your card, you'll be able to use the other card and wire-transfer funds from the lost one to the other one. If you're concerned about carrying a lot of cash, then you should buy a money-belt, you can fit over $1K comfortably in $100 denominations, its safer than storing it in your socks.

Good Luck
Ricardo.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
Ricardo900 has said it all. The best money belts are made of cloth and are designed where you can take the bills out without having to drop your pants. If you have lots of cash you can wear 2 or 3 at the same time. They are comfortable to wear and undetectable if you are wear loose clothing.

jenfau

Jul 8, 2006
If you have that much money it would be best left in the bank and use your atm card when needed.Try to take out as much as you need for a few days or longer because using them really adds up in the long run with Scotia bank it was 5$ every transation.Other banks not so sure.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
CIBC charges $3 so I make sure I take out at least $100 at a time from the ATM about 3000 rd. Taking the extra banking card for safety is what I do also.