saw this article in Santiagoonline

Sep 19, 2005
Does anyone else think the subject matter(mercedes-benz SLR "722" edition) may be a little over the head of the normal reader clientel?

or is santiago bigger than I thought?

this has to be close to half mil to buy...( in america...maybe 3/4 a mil in the DR)
I wonder if there is a market in santiago for a car like this.

I saw an SLR in Moca last fall....I couldnt tell if it was one of these special editions...but franky it doesnt matter...it was out of place for sure....for one with the economy, and secondly for the roads...and possibly thirdly as a means to make sure someone tries to steal your car or rob you....

Santiagonline.com - Tu Revista Virtual

BOB

fender

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 9, 2006
chopos et al

What alot of these expats / visitors don't get ... is if you hang with putas (sankiettes) and their ilk (leaching families), you'll never get to experience the folks that would posess such luxury items :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It looks like they are just talking about the car, not necessarily that you can buy it in Santiago. However there are Mercedes Benz dealerships in The DR, thus you should be able to order any Mercedes car and I'm sure some people do.

At one point (20 or so years ago) San Francisco De Macoris had the largest percentage of Mercedes Benz per capita in the world. Nowadays most of those people have either been killed off or they just prefer a different brand of car altogether (i.e. The Porsche Cayenne was hot a little while back).

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is only one Mercedes-Benz dealership in the DR and its in Santo Domingo on Churchill, almost reaching Kennedy. Looking north, it will appear on your right, can't miss it.

As for whether there is a market for such car.... there is a market for Bentley's and there are more Ferrari's owners than most people expect for the country. Currently the DR is the fifth largest Porsche market in Latin America.

Why would there not be a market for a car as the MBz SLR?

Some DR1ers seem to be in denial of just how large the Dominican upper class truly is. For example, on another thread I believe it was you who said that in your most recent trip you witnessed more Mercedes on the streets of SDQ than you see in many CT towns and you attributed such high number of luxury vehicles on the inequality. Well, a high number of luxury vehicles doesn't mean that income inequality in the DR is worst than in CT, as you claim on another thread.

To the contrary, it simply means that people with high incomes, or at least access to plenty of credit - which you need high income to qualify in any case - are numerous. Plus, to compare SDQ with CT is just wrong, there are many other factors that have to be taken into account such as density, population, etc of SDQ vs. the particular town in CT you were referring to but never mentioned. Although, if you go to where the money is, you will definitely see more luxury vehicles than in SDQ, but that's another story.

The only thing that gives a hint to inequality is the fact that there are people who have the means and are inclined to buy such luxury vehicles vs the existence of people who can barely afford a publico ride, but the number of luxury vehicles seen is only a testament to how large and visible the moneyed class is.

And, that's only noticing the one's who love to spend money on their cars. There are plenty who care less for cars, but spend a good deal on their homes or perhaps on a particular collection of things or on vacations or on philantropic activities.

The point is that people spend money on the things and activities that they have an affinity towards and the more money a person has, the more money will be devoted to the things they like.

Just how you spend more money on the things/activities you like vs. the one's that don't catch your interest, so does everyone else within their budget (and sometimes beyond the budget). The bigger the wallet, the more comes out.

-NALs
--------------------------------------

By the way, Dominican income inequality is not much higher than the current US income inequality.

What explains the difference in the living conditions of the poorest of the poor in both countries? It's called, government assistance. The US government assist the poorest in paying for housing, food, etc. In the DR, you live by what you make. Capitalism, at its purest.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
While i did mention that I swore i saw an SLR in Moca...I for sure thought it was out of place..EVEN though I also mentioned that I see more top of the line cars in and around santiago than i see in most large cities in CT and new york....BUT an SLR is another animal all together...you can buy the X5s and even S500 $80 K all day long.....the SLR from 2 years ago was over $450K....now 2 years later and a special edition....I am thinking....the 2 are totally different

plus as far as the article goes...I was thinking it is a stretch to even have an article like that.....they might as well talk about the benefits of catching a ride on one of the challenger shots to the moon.

I may think that the SLR is out of its territory in the DR...( for several reasons) even though I think there are a large number of people who are living in the lap of luxury..JUST NOT that luxurious.

sure there are many families in the DR that can afford ANYTHING made......

anyone who can afford a car like that.
1) would be nuts to drive it in the DR...with the roads as they are
2) would need a body gaurd vehicle in front and behind at all times
3) probably would just have someone drive them in a bullet proof limo everyplace they went

I dont know of a production car that is more money than the SLR

there probably is one someplace....evenif 5 cars is a PRODUCTION number!! ha ha ha

I brought this up , because i used to go to that site trying to find out usefull info about santiago, and maybe find a date for a concert...and i see a car that in teh DR would cost about 3/4 of a million dollars highlighted

bob

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
LPF: Here's what happens...

The people who have old money (the really wealthy who control the fate of The DR) wouldn't buy these kinds of cars to drive in The DR. Like in any country these people live a quiet unassuming life.

It's kind of like Chris Rock says talking about being wealthy and being rich. He said "Shaq is rich...the guy who pays Shaq's salary is wealthy. Here you go Shaq buy yourself another car with spinning rims..."

The really nouveau rich (i.e. those who deal in the "pharmaceutical" industry) have money to throw away and want to show it off. THESE are the people you see driving ferraries, etc...what's 3/4 million USD when you can make that in one shipment to The US?

In addition these people aren't worried that their cars are going to get stolen...Not sure anyone would dare. Would you have stolen from Kirino when he had his "empire"? Thiefs normally know who not to mess with and these are people you do not want to mess with...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I sat outside Pepperoni's (Sarasota) eating the other day and had at least a US$1 million+ parked in front of me and it was only 5 cars.

1 x Lamborghini Murcielago
1 x Ferrari F430 convertible
1 x Bentley Continental GT
2 x Porsche 911 GT3

The only owner I noticed was for the Lamborghini and he was a really young Dominican kid.

laurapasinifan, your hanging out with the wrong crowd ;)
The capital has plenty of nice cars and wealthy Dominicans.

Sep 19, 2005
maybe not...I have the friends with the show off toys.

Most are leased...

the people I know with the bucks dont drive those cars....but they have layers of comfort that is amazing

i go to the DR, not to drives cars and hang out with the wealthy domincans...I go to be with my girl.....thats it these days

heck I hardly ever hunt down there any more

so my spot with the robin leeeech crowd is open

bob

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hmmmmmm,
Mercedez for sale in Santiago - I wonder if that is the one being sold by a very dear DR1 friend of mine?

The owner of the Merc was certainly not in the category that Bob mentions - just a very decent guy, a hard working, happily married young fellow that liked the idea of a Merc for his driving pleasure! He didn't NEED to make friends with people, he was LOVED by almost all that met him. He wasn't the 'Show off' type of guy, virtually the opposite - happy to be second fiddle to all (unless he was playing golf or making a business deal!).

YOU have your girl Bob, this guy had his family AND his car for his pleasures & Love!! As The saying goes "Whatever turns you on Baby!"

I won't go down the line of he had his toy - you have got yours!:bunny: ;) BOTH have the probability of being high maintenance whichever way you look at it :cheeky: ~ Grahame.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I won't go down the line of he had his toy - you have got yours!:bunny: ;) BOTH have the probability of being high maintenance whichever way you look at it :cheeky: ~ Grahame.

I just burnt my nose with coffee, thanks!!! hehehehehe

franco

Nov 5, 2003
Must have been ball players......

There is a lot of ball players that live in my neck of the woods(Military too), and most have $$$ vehicles.

Next door to my house, a ball player just bought an entire block of land, and is now in the process of building a wall around it that will be at least 10' ft. high.

He's planning on building a mansion there. It's the old 'keeping up with the Joneses" routine.

I drive a Bentley here and I have nothing to do with ball, I even don't know the rules of that popular game. Not only Bentley, but I have 3 Porsches and 1 Maserati. I'm not dealing with drugs or money laundering, I'm selling luxury items to wealthy dominicans.

Very few of my customers are ball players, usually "old money" from serious businesses. Why do you guys have this stereotypes about this country? If you don't know how legally make good money in this country it doesn't mean others making it illegally or by playing baseball.

The blue Ferrari on the picture above is owned by the owner of the construction company.

I guess Lamborghini (orange?) and Continental GT (dark blue?) mentioned above owned by the guy who is in the "meat" business and Bentley owned by his wife who is a daughter of gas company in the DR.

If you'll pass by "Luxury Auto" on TIradentes you can see Porsche GT and Ferrari ENZO available for sale.

franco

Nov 5, 2003
Franco, I certainly am not saying that ball players are the only ones with money.

I said there are a lot of ball players that have high end vehicles... Fact.
I know a few of them. No big deal.

Just out of curiousity, what kind of "luxury items" do you sell to wealthy Dominicans

Feature Presentation - Home Theater Interiors
Vertu
Home - Bang & Olufsen
Kaleidescape - Home
Color Kinetics Incorporated - LED Lighting, LED Lighting Systems
Apple
Crestron Electronics, Inc.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Dang...I never knew selling phones and home theater systems was that profitable. I guess I'm in the wrong business...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This Pic...sorry link above didn't work and couldn't get back in to edit.

4gg3p6v.jpg
[/IMG]

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I drive a Bentley here and I have nothing to do with ball, I even don't know the rules of that popular game. Not only Bentley, but I have 3 Porsches and 1 Maserati. I'm not dealing with drugs or money laundering, I'm selling luxury items to wealthy dominicans.

When can I come and take a look at the Bentley?

Bang & Olufsen, very nice! Still have a BEO 5000 system back at my parents place in the loft. It still looks modern and it's over 25 yrs old :)