Sosua tradewinds/palms and security

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldJockey

Feb 3, 2007
has anyone ever heard of theft problems there

for those of you who live or have stayed there would you be comfortable leaving you
valuables(laptops/passports/money...) in a room which is NOT equipped with a safe?

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
If I didn't have a safe box in my room I would not feel comfortable with my valuables in the room. Everytime I go I have to have a safe box in my room. The safer you make yourself, you have the best changes of having no problems. Remember it's not the theft problem in any place, it's who you bring back to it.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
88 views and one response

either an elephant is in the room
or the owners surf this forum :D
Surfpup answered your question quite well with
Remember it's not the theft problem in any place, it's who you bring back to it.
What else is there to add?
The security there is good but not impenetrable.
I've had a condo there for years without any theft problems.

WorldJockey

Feb 3, 2007
Surfpup answered your question quite well with .
What else is there to add?
The security there is good but not impenetrable.
I've had a condo there for years without any theft problems
Thanks
thats what i was looking for
1st hand testimonial
:)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I have stayed in Rockys condo. I stayed 5 weeks straight at one point. I never had any problems.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
And don"t forget the ribs, there awesome. Ted is a great bartender so don't forget show your appreciation.!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This is getting sidetracked, which is why I didn't answer your question from the start.
To address the questions in the OP, Trade Winds and the Palms would be considered safer than average.
As wisely pointed out by surfpup, bringing the wrong type of guests home can pose security problems.
Having a safe could help, but few if any of the condos rented out for short term usage, have them.
There are some hotels in towns that provide safes in the rooms, but not likely to be big enough for a laptop.
The biggest security risk single guys take in the DR, comes from going out and getting drunk, then bringing home a guest of questionable reputation, then falling asleep.
You might wake up in the morning, minus a few items.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
or getting drunk and another hotel guest or employee of questionable reputation steals your things. crime is all about opportunity so i don't even trust my fellow hotel guests. just remember never let your guard down for anybody !! i'd had more than a few people tell me things were stolen from their hotels and not from their questionable guests.

i agree with you Rocky on the drunk part but again i think more thiefs have occurred with hotel employees and other hotel guests.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
crime is all about opportunity
Very true.
just remember never let your guard down for anybody !!
Good advice.
i'd had more than a few people tell me things were stolen from their hotels and not from their questionable guests.
Sometimes people tell that story when they don't want to admit what really happened.

i think more thief's have occurred with hotel employees and other hotel guests.
I highly doubt that.
It's too easy to find and prosecute employees, while overnight guests disappear, never to be seen again.
That being said, this is one of the reasons DR1 is such a useful tool.
It's easy to get recommendations for hotels with good reputations.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i can testify to that as i have been one of those who did let my guard down once and this chica stole my prescription medicine. so i guess i'm telling what really happened to me once...:eek:

i only went to take a shower. she must have been a professional thief...:laugh:

WorldJockey

Feb 3, 2007
To address the questions in the OP, Trade Winds and the Palms would be considered safer than average.
This is what i was wondering.I have heard this from an owner but I wanted a more unbiased source
thanks

The biggest security risk single guys take in the DR, comes from going out and getting drunk, then bringing home a guest of questionable reputation, then falling asleep.
You might wake up in the morning, minus a few items.
Although it can still happen since no security is impenetrable as you said earlier
I was thinking more along the lines of a petty thief breaking in and helping him/herself.
OK not too worried then as I wouldn't put myself in such a situation with a guest

WorldJockey

Feb 3, 2007
or getting drunk and another hotel guest or employee of questionable reputation steals your things. crime is all about opportunity so i don't even trust my fellow hotel guests. just remember never let your guard down for anybody !! i'd had more than a few people tell me things were stolen from their hotels and not from their questionable guests.

i agree with you Rocky on the drunk part but again i think more thiefs have occurred with hotel employees and other hotel guests.

yup.I know every hotel I have beet to tell me up front that they will not be responsible for anything left outside of a safe.

A clerk at casa cayenna made sure to repeat it to me twice
as if he were giving me a
*nod wink* heads up

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
i can testify to that as i have been one of those who did let my guard down once and this chica stole my prescription medicine. so i guess i'm telling what really happened to me once...:eek:

i only went to take a shower. she must have been a professional thief...:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

and you are posting crime prevention on here??? DUH:confused:

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Why tempt fate?

Is it not possible to leave your passport in the hotel's main safe? I would think that that would be the most important thing to safeguard. Laptops, of course, are much easier to replace, not to mention, less hassle to replace. There are plenty of internet cafes around, so is it really necessary to have with you (or are you staying for an extended amount of time?).

I would think the dumbest move would be to leave money lying around! It may not be an employee that robs you, but that employee could mention it to numerous friends about the gringo that leaves money in his room.

I would most certainly ask the manager if you could keep your passport in the hotel safe. Demand a receipt for it as well, so that if it mysteriously goes missing, you have something to fall back on as proof.

Or am I just becoming more cynical in my old age! LOL

Marlie

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Why tempt fate?

Is it not possible to leave your passport in the hotel's main safe? I would think that that would be the most important thing to safeguard. Laptops, of course, are much easier to replace, not to mention, less hassle to replace. There are plenty of internet cafes around, so is it really necessary to have with you (or are you staying for an extended amount of time?).

I would think the dumbest move would be to leave money lying around! It may not be an employee that robs you, but that employee could mention it to numerous friends about the gringo that leaves money in his room.

I would most certainly ask the manager if you could keep your passport in the hotel safe. Demand a receipt for it as well, so that if it mysteriously goes missing, you have something to fall back on as proof.

Or am I just becoming more cynical in my old age! LOL

Marlie
You're spot on.
That's what we do.
Losing your passpost or wallet full of ID, credit cards, driver's license, etc, sux.

Status
Not open for further replies.