Need urgent advice -Heart

C

Chip00

Has anyone had heart surgery especially stents? either here in DR or other

According to the cunada who is a nurse at the Jose Maria Hospital here in Santiago a goup called "Corazones del Cibao" does them. They are located on the 4th floor of Las Clinicas Corominas. Call 809-580-1171 press 0 for the operator and ask for them.

The process is called "catetarismo".

Best of Luck

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Just be aware that in US cardiac programs, about 3% of patients having a stent inserted have to have the procedure aborted and an emergency bypass performed. Be sure whoever is going to give you a stent has a full backup for a bypass procedure.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Dr. Pedro Urena of the Abel Gonzalez Advanced Medicine Clinic on Avenida Lincoln in Santo Domingo performed an angioplasty and placed a stent in my heart in May of last year at Cedimat in the Plaza de la Salud. At the time, he advised me AGAINST having a medicine-coated stent implanted and recommended a regular one instead. His advice turned out to be right on the money given all the problems that have arisen with the coated stents. He trained under the same doctor in the internationally-known heart program at Miami's Jackson Memorial hospital that my cousin (a top-rated cardiologist/thorascic surgeon in south Florida) trained under. Pedro's probably the best qualified cardiologist in the DR. Subsequently, I've had no problems other than adjusting my meds by my regular cardiologist, Dr. Ivan Gonzalez at the Abel Gonzalez Clinic on Avenida Independencia. Contact DR. Gonzalez first and have him refer you to Dr. Urena.
You can PM me for further info if you'd like.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
According to the cunada who is a nurse at the Jose Maria Hospital here in Santiago a goup called "Corazones del Cibao" does them. They are located on the 4th floor of Las Clinicas Corominas. Call 809-580-1171 press 0 for the operator and ask for them.

The process is called "catetarismo".

Best of Luck

Thanks Chip Ive just come out of that hospital I was transferred there from Bournigal in POP. The surgeon seems good Dr Jose Luciano. I need 4 stents my situation is critical and Im very sad as I dont really want to return to UK, but Ive had a pulmonary embolism which makes any surgery dangerous. The Dr said he advises me to return to the UK for the emergency treatment. Hes prepared a CD for the Dr there. The flight back will be risky - 10 hours, but the cost here will be around 600,000RD and I dont have enough cover on my insurance to do it here, but after talking to the DR. I can read between the lines about him not being keen to do it. Im stuck - catch 22.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Just be aware that in US cardiac programs, about 3% of patients having a stent inserted have to have the procedure aborted and an emergency bypass performed. Be sure whoever is going to give you a stent has a full backup for a bypass procedure.

Thats why I know it would be safer to go to UK, buts its hard

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Thanks Chip Ive just come out of that hospital I was transferred there from Bournigal in POP. The surgeon seems good Dr Jose Luciano. I need 4 stents my situation is critical and Im very sad as I dont really want to return to UK, but Ive had a pulmonary embolism which makes any surgery dangerous. The Dr said he advises me to return to the UK for the emergency treatment. Hes prepared a CD for the Dr there. The flight back will be risky - 10 hours, but the cost here will be around 600,000RD and I dont have enough cover on my insurance to do it here, but after talking to the DR. I can read between the lines about him not being keen to do it. Im stuck - catch 22.

Get ahold of Dr. Urena quick. Cedimat has probably the most advanced medicine and treatment in the country. His phone # is (809) 566-8000, cel # (809) 710-9655.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Get ahold of Dr. Urena quick. Cedimat has probably the most advanced medicine and treatment in the country. His phone # is (809) 566-8000, cel # (809) 710-9655.

Thank you Andy, I thought Id taken the best policy available here in preparation for a serious malady like this, but whoever would have expected something as expensive as this. I know I have to go back to the UK after talking to Dr Luciano but this is my home.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I know Peter of PeterandAlex had stents successfully implanted in the DR. I havent been in contact with Peter for awile but will try and find out and have him post.

I believe he had the work done by Dr. Angel Contreras in Santo Domingo (the son, not the father, though both top notch cardiologists. He was very pleased. I know a couple of expats who had stents put in by him. He is my cardiologist and the one I'll do the work if I ever need a stent.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Before you go back to the UK, I'd talk to Dr. Urena first. I know that Cedimat has a reduced fee for special cases. You may qualify for this. My total cost was around $10,000usd for a procedure that would have cost almost $50,000usd in the states. I know, a friend has had 3 stents implanted in Florida. And $600,000rd is a cheap price to pay for saving your life, even if you have to sell everything you own to cover the bill.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Before you go back to the UK, I'd talk to Dr. Urena first. I know that Cedimat has a reduced fee for special cases. You may qualify for this. My total cost was around $10,000usd for a procedure that would have cost almost $50,000usd in the states. I know, a friend has had 3 stents implanted in Florida. And $600,000rd is a cheap price to pay for saving your life, even if you have to sell everything you own to cover the bill.

Its not the money Andy, I desperately want to stay here. I have to be practical, if something goes wrong I would be in the UK. I think Dr Luciano is thinking along those lines too and my insurance company has been fantastic. When I spoke to her yesterday she was calling the doc to get a discount on the price and I was going to pay the difference. After she spoke with the doc when she called me back she said its better I return to the UK. Its a miracle for someone to survive a pulmonary embolism and I think they're concerned I wont survive the surgery.

One thing is for sure Im so glad I posted my story on here I was very hesitant to do so. The support and help you saints are giving me helps.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
I agree with Robert, Cedimat in the DR. However, if insurance is covering it, go up to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami. They are rated as one of the top 10 heart units in the US and it will only be a 2 hour flight there..

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thanks Robert that was the push I needed Ive booked my flight for Sat. Marmite?? PM me if yes

I need stuff of the same color but different consistency. Cadburys chocolate :)
If you come across any Tetley or PGTips, then I'll take them off your hands as well :)

Good luck and hope all goes well in the UK.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I need stuff of the same color but different consistency. Cadburys chocolate :)
If you come across any Tetley or PGTips, then I'll take them off your hands as well :)

Good luck and hope all goes well in the UK.

Different consistency? I didnt know there was different explain exactly so I get the right stuff

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
He wants Cadbury's chocolate. It's dark like Marmite. But it's solid. Marmite isn't. Thus a different consistency.

I think he wants Cadburys as well as marmite, but I think hes talking about the consistency of Branston Pickle, there are variations in that. Im confused now I cant remember if I brought him Branston pickle or Marmite before - Sad isnt it, my brain is going the same way as my heart.