Medical Insurance in DR

knotworx

Dec 10, 2006
I've tried looking for old posts regarding this but I'm either overlooking something or there is very little said amongst all the other great information related to living in DR.

That said, I am trying to research options for good medical facilities and coverage in DR. I have a few quotes from firms that deal with coverage for expats and I've heard speculation from those I know in DR. Of course the hearsay does not make much sense to me.

So for those who are living the life by choice and getting by to living like kings/queens how do you deal with typical medical matters to outright emergencies when living in the country?

Thanks!

KW

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Try leaving the quotes off of your search for medical insurance. Not "medical insurance", but medical insurance. You'll get a wealth of information. Also research Ken's posts. He has on various occasions given good information about medical procedures in the DR.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have one for myself husband and 2 kids. From Universal - Banco Popular. Covers everything. They pay for everything including all medecines. Good point, started off last year at 48,000 RD$, this year down to 36,000 RDS. Bad point has a maximum of 350,000RD$ per incident - great for most things - unless you get shot!!! But really good and pay up v promptly.

Matilda

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Universal /Banco Popular is what I recommend also..Just go to any branch and they will put you in touch with an agent..Very affordable also...

knotworx

Dec 10, 2006
Thanks everyone for your answers. There's a lot to go over but in general I've come to the conclusion that there is good coverage to be had on the island for those living on the island. So I do not have to kill myself looking for the coverage before hand.

It's good to know Banco Popular has a good offering. They are my bank there so I fee comfortable shopping more or less at one place. I also think in general, there were some noted exceptions, it is a good bit cheaper to setup coverage from an agent on the island than deal with the internation health care groups that specialize in expat coverage.

Thanks again!

KW

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
People tell me that the new hospital they are building in Santiago will accept US Health plans. Has anyone heard that to be true? Feel free to PM me. Thanks all

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Canadian Insurance

Our baby was at Centro de Ginecologia Y Obstetricia in SD couple of years ago and all the charges were covered by Manulife here in Canada. They even paid for our hotel during the time the baby was in the clinic and the air tickets for us,,, but not for our other children. They said that they were older and could have gone back home without missing the flight.

Last summer a 2 x 4 fell in my head from a second floor, I had to go to Centro de Otorinolaringologia on Av. 27 de Febrero for X-rays and CAT scan, when I got back here, I just sent in my claim and I got my money back in about 5 weeks.

CB

I think it's anywhere. i was in Plaza la Salud - no problems, but check when you go in.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Our baby was at Centro de Ginecologia Y Obstetricia in SD couple of years ago and all the charges were covered by Manulife here in Canada. They even paid for our hotel during the time the baby was in the clinic and the air tickets for us,,, but not for our other children. They said that they were older and could have gone back home without missing the flight.

Last summer a 2 x 4 fell in my head from a second floor, I had to go to Centro de Otorinolaringologia on Av. 27 de Febrero for X-rays and CAT scan, when I got back here, I just sent in my claim and I got my money back in about 5 weeks.

CB

Yes but arent you talking about holiday insurance?, that is totally offpost and not what the op was asking. - Medical Insurance in the DR.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I have one for myself husband and 2 kids. From Universal - Banco Popular. Covers everything. They pay for everything including all medecines. Good point, started off last year at 48,000 RD$, this year down to 36,000 RDS. Bad point has a maximum of 350,000RD$ per incident - great for most things - unless you get shot!!! But really good and pay up v promptly.

Matilda

I totally agree, they have been really supportive and paid my hospital bills within 2 days ARS Universal you can contact the agent Yanirys direct 809 261 5646, she speaks English

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
No,,, that is our regular insurance

People tell me that the new hospital they are building in Santiago will accept US Health plans. Has anyone heard that to be true? Feel free to PM me. Thanks all

Sorry it was in reference to this post,,, I should have PM my answer.

Having said that I think it is also a good idea for other canadians to know that they could be covered.
When we go to the DR, we don't buy extra travel insurance, since Manulife will cover us while we are there.

CB

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com

Sorry it was in reference to this post,,, I should have PM my answer.

Having said that I think it is also a good idea for other canadians to know that they could be covered.
When we go to the DR, we don't buy extra travel insurance, since Manulife will cover us while we are there.

CB

Will they also cover you if you are resident in this country?
I also thought Canada had a National Health Service

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Don't know

I was in the DR during my maternity leave for about 6 months, and we were covered. This is the insurance my husband pays for his company, I don't know if it will be different if you work for a company like Canadian Tire or any other corporation, as he customized the insurance for his company's needs.

Yes, we have a Health Plan in Canada (OHIP) it will cover. but I don't know the details. I know a friend had to submit her claim from overseas to OHIP first and what they didn't cover she sent it to her insurance.

CB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
ARS Humano now offer International medical insurance at very good rates.
If you do a lot of traveling from the DR, then this is a good option, especially if you travel to the USA.

Contact ARS Humano for more details.