On days like the one today Feb 14th 2007

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Please folks tell me I am not the only one who thinks this...

On days like this one here in NYC where we are having a mixture of ice/rain falling and it's 27 degrees farenheit I often think of liquidating all my assets and saying "I'M OUT OF HERE"

Wether you are in Canada, US or the UK I'm sure some of you have pondered this before.

I have to admit - I've come close to doing it twice. Sell my house, cash out on my 401K and withdraw all the loot from the savings account. I've done the math many times and with the figure I come up with it's enough to live comfortably in the DR. But something always holds me back. And that is the what IFs??? So many what IFs. I guess some of us have more cojones than others. I applaud the people who have done this and are happily living out their dream - to live in the most beautiful island in the caribbean - the DR.

Are my nuts to even think about this?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
No you're not the only one. I was perfectly happy till mid January and today with this other frickin storm I feel like escaping :(

But not to worry it will be warm soon, maybe in May :laugh: maybe?

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
El Tigre...Happy V-Day to you too!!! No, you or your nuts are not crazy...

I believe this thought has come to many of us at one point or another in our lives...even now, with my love by my side...I keep telling him I should have stayed in DR with him when I met him ;)

If you have enough money to live the rest of your life comfortably as you say, and have nothing to hold you back here...I say...GO FOR IT!!!

You'll never know if you don't at least try it...Take some money out...enough for 6 months...and then you'll have a better idea to make an informed decision...

Oh, boy...if only I could!!! ;)

MQ

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
give me snow in NYC anytime. boots! high heeled, leather boots. chunky heel cowboy boots. pull on black boots. ugg boots....
yes, sounds good.

i cannot wear boots in 30 plus (celsius), sun blasting, dominican girls in tight jeans, cloudless sky, more dominican girls...
oh, sorry, did not want to rub it in...

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
suarez make a joke LOL.

It's some scary stuff though MQ. Just to pick up and go.

and thank you for confirming that i am not the only one who things about this.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
If I had enough money to move there and live there comfortably for the rest of my life, I wouldnt still be sat here in cold, miserable England! In fact, you wouldnt see me for dust!! Id be sat on the malecon drinking benedicta before you could say bachata!!

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
Weather conditions here are looking bleak !!!

With 40cm of snow on the way here and frigid temps of -30 to go with it....I would leave in a heart beat !!!

I would trade my blackberry, Mazdan and black pointy boots for some bachata and pina colada ANYDAY !!!

Taking a stab at it in APRIL !!! Cannot wait !!!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Hey El Tigre, as the kids in Philadelphia say: 'I feel ya'! Lucky for me, I'm heading to the DR on Saturday for two weeks! :bunny: And, if this storm doesn't let up before then, and the airport is closed, I'm swimming!!!

If only I could cash out now and move to the DR, I'd do it in a heart beat! I'd keep my citizenship and residence here, and spend the rest of my days on the beach in Las Terranas, eating fresh seafood, sun-rippened fruits and vegitables, soaking up the sun, and, enduring electrical outages! I envy you guys who have already made that move! I'll see you next week!!! :bunny:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Don't ever be afraid of dying. Be afraid of not living. Every minute you waste in a place you don't like, doing a job you don't like, is a minute of your
life which has gone and you won't get back. Money isn't everything (mind you it helps!). I had good job in Uk, great house etc etc, but have been here 5 years and never regretted it for a minute and it hasn;t alwys been easy. as Nike said 'just do it'.

Matilda

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I don't think it is a place - it is mostly state of mind. I am now in the US, working, quite happy. Tomorrow I will be in the DR - I am sure I will be happy there too. Every moment of our life counts. We cannot change where we are and what we are supposed to do for different reasons. But we can change how we feel about it. Happy Holiday everyone!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes, as I drove to work through a foot of snow, dodging idiots who don't know how to drive as they headed for the ditches (-15 c, with windchill -30 c) I though sitting on a veranda in Jarabacoa having a coffeee and fresh fruit would be great. Everytime I say, time to head to Jarabacoa, Yris says " just a couple more years " Another year for mama to have Canadian Citizenship, 1 more year of High School for Jose, then 2 of college or University, Travis will be finished University...etc. Sometimes I think its a harder decision for her to move back than me to move there.

May 12, 2005
No Alex, you're not crazy. If it wasn't for my job and the nice pension waiting for me, I would have been gone a long time ago. July 7, 2019 is retirement day, but whose counting?

C

Chip00

El tigre - you can do it you just need to plan accordingly. There is enough info on these forums to get a baseline figure for the move and getting established here.

The next thing depending on what you have in reserves and your projected living costs is what can you do for income. I am at the point that I am thinking what can I do for investment here to allow me to retire from working as an engineer. Importation is still lucrative because if the limited competition and lack of ability for locals to travel or establish contacts.

Good Luck

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It's some scary stuff though MQ. Just to pick up and go.

Well we did just that fourteen & a quarter years ago. Still here. :) But are you ready? Not the money, your psyche? It's your home and it has changed. If you ever need a reality check I have one word to say: leptospirosis. You'll get the implications. If those don't phase you, you're ready.

Drop in and see us. :)