delta airlines to samana airport

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
as mentioned in earlier thread and little more info here:

from dr1 news:

10. Las Terrenas wants to close late
Business owners in Las Terrenas, Samana are asking authorities to provide flexibility in restaurant and bar closing hours in the area. Businesses in the region claim that their profits have been heavily affected by the alcohol sale limitations. Las Terrenas is a busy tourist area and is expected to become even busier with the opening of the Professor Juan Bosch International Airport in El Catey, Samana. In addition, Delta Airlines has announced tentative plans for an Atlanta - Samana direct route later this year, providing the region with more tourist traffic. The new airport was built at a cost of US$80 million.

agomera

Nov 16, 2005
What did I miss?
I've never heard the word "Samana" here in DL Salt Lake City corporate offices. When did the announced the tentative plans for Atlanta-Samana?

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
What did I miss?
I've never heard the word "Samana" here in DL Salt Lake City corporate offices. When did the announced the tentative plans for Atlanta-Samana?

Networking were down to Samana, services wont start after Dec, 2007.
But this is not confirm yet.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Samana area will become a real hot spot when this happens. perhaps New Years's 2008 in Samana/Las Terrenas ??

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Doubt

I seriously doubt DL will fly to Samana in '07. And by '08 who knows. They've finally 'discovered' the Caribbean at least. Flights from ATL to POP have done well so far, but it's high season. Let's see if they have staying power.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Looks like AA is going to beat them to it, ..

Santo Domingo.- American Airlines (AA), founding partner of oneworld?, offered information today on the achievements of the airline during 2006 and of its vision to continue improving client service in 2007.
It also announced the start of flights to service passengers in the new Samana International Airport, in the nation's booming resort region of the same name.

AA Sales manager Oliver Bojos, pointed out that during the past 2006, more than one million passengers boarded, and close to 7,000 flights touched the five different airports across the country, representing an important business contribution to the country?s economy.

Del Pozo said that the airline today offers 30 flights a day from the Dominican Republic, connecting to 250 cities around the world.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
No rooms available in Samana's hotels, everything is booked in advance by european operators, so I don-t think AA will be able to sell

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The big A1's may be booked with Europeans but there's still about 2,500 rooms in the smaller independently owned hotels that are available to the US market, my hotel being one of them. Not everyone is full and from what I've observed and been told, this is a slow season and rooms are available (except on DR holiday weekends-then we're all full).

AA is going to sell el Catey like hotcakes to the burgeoning US market.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Plus the "business" travelers from San Francisco de Macoris would really appriciate such a connection. I'd make their business trips from NYC and back a lot more convinient.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
AA to Samana

Sr. VP of Lat/Am Caribbean for AA visited new Samana airport 1st time last week and don't see any more than Eagle from SJU for 07 at best. Beyond that depends on rooms and pax interest.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
Sr. VP of Lat/Am Caribbean for AA visited new Samana airport 1st time last week and don't see any more than Eagle from SJU for 07 at best. Beyond that depends on rooms and pax interest.

where does this info come from? eagle would be fine. that would make sense to start out with considering hotel capacity at the moment.

engels64

Feb 27, 2007
Plus the "business" travelers from San Francisco de Macoris would really appriciate such a connection. I'd make their business trips from NYC and back a lot more convinient.

I love your quotation "business travelers" Funny as heck! I know exactly what your talking about~