Where's a good place to live.........

marwat

Feb 14, 2007
Hi,

My partner and I are planning on a trip to DR in May. With a view to perhaps moving there. There are so many places to look at that my head is spinning....

Moving from Canada

We're in our 50's, not looking for jobs, not interested in gated communities, but not wanting too much of an adventure, have cats and dogs....

Any idea anyone of a starting place (s).....

Cheers, Marwat

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Look to the South West

Look at Property in Paraiso and San Rafael area..Still very affordable with some of the best scenery on the Island.. Drive south on rt#44 from Barahona and you will see a ton of signs with property for sale..The area is developing slowly but steadly..

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Any specific city in mind? Budget wise, how does it look? Are you looking for beach, beach, beach or "regular" life in the DR?

marwat

Feb 14, 2007
No city in mind, that's the problem, cant find enough info on any of them that would tell me whether they would work for us.

Not necessarily beach, though reasonable access would be nice.

More interested in real life, would spent up to 500,00.00u.s. on property

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002

With that kind of money you can live pretty much anywhere in The DR. The standard advice we give to people is go down to The DR and rent a place for six months or so...travel around the country and pretty soon it will become clear to you where in The DR you'd like to live or if you really want to live down there at all. The DR is not for everyone...

champ

Dec 2, 2006
check out playa cofresi just outside of puerto plata,,,new condo development,,, club paradise condos,,,now under constuction,,150 steps from the beach,,,

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Welcome

No city in mind, that's the problem, cant find enough info on any of them that would tell me whether they would work for us.

Not necessarily beach, though reasonable access would be nice.

First off welcome to the DR1!

I have a few questions for you?

1. Have you been to the DR before?
2. What are your reasons for wanting to move here?
3. Do you or your partner speak Spanish?

Having said all of that my partner and I moved here from the U.S. 7 months ago. We had been here a few times together and I'd first come here in the mid 1980's. After visiting and meeting people we decided on the Sosua/Cabarete area. The area has a decent infrustructure and the real estate market is very healthy. We must have looked at 50 houses on the market and gave much consideration to building our own house, however after all of that we found the house we live in now and have not regretted a single minute.

We brought our 3 dogs and although they ended up in Venezula first every one is here happy and sound.

If you'd like more information just PM me and I'd be happy to give any 'newbie' advise you'd like.

Regards,
Jack

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can buy a place in Metro C.C. for that money...

A lot depends on you life style. When you say your "partner" does that indicate the sex of your "partner" ...If you are a gay couple, I would think that Santo Domingo or Santiago or Sosua would be better adapted. Smaller towns tend to be very conservative and opinionated.

If you are a straight couple, "living in sin" for tax reasons...the DR don't give a hoot about that, so you could live absolutely anywhere. The Deep South, as recommended by Zak and kfrancis is developing and yet prices are reasonable still. Your money would go further, butyou would have to adapt your lifestyle to the locality, and this is not something for everyone.

Perhaps Cabrera or R?o San Juan onthe North Shore, or one of the towns inthe east....

Really, there is a huge variety, so what YOU want to do is the key issue.

Let us know more about you...

HB

marwat

Feb 14, 2007
Yes, we are a gay couple, female, didn't consider the possible problem, we live in the west coast of Canada, loads of gays, no worries, loads of rain too...

We live in a small town of less than 1 million at present, Santo Domingo would be too big for us. We also have 3 dogs, and a couple of cats, that we'd like to have space for.

It sounds from what every one has written, that we should perhaps start our search on the north shore.....and given that we're gay, perhaps not consider small towns?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
No problem with gays in Juan Dolio. I don't think anyone would think twice about it here. I have 6 cats, 6 dogs here in my house. Good vets in San Pedro, who will do home visits. Plenty of shops there too. 45 mins from Santo Domingo. great beaches at the moment (bit of erosion going on). Houses in Metro country club 240,000 us$ to 600,000. Houses here in town nearer the beach from 175,000us$ to 500,000us$ but all going up rapidly. If you want to know more about Juan Dolio PM me.

Matilda

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes, we are a gay couple, female, didn't consider the possible problem

You will need to think about this. In many ways attitudes to gays in some parts of the DR are similar to what they were in the developed world about 50 years ago, so be forewarned. Chances are that since you're a female gay couple there are many locals who would not realise you were gay & would probably think you were sisters............ The larger towns or tourist areas would be more accommodating. If you were in a more rural, undeveloped area I think you would find attitudes somewhat dated.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Don't worry, be gay!

Disclaimer; The statement below is directed to those on the north coast, I have no idea what it's like in Juan Dolio or any other part of the country.

From what you've told us I wouldn't worry about the gay thing at all.

In general, persons from north america and Europe that move here will not become fast friends with the 'average' Dominican. The society here is very class oriented and if you are the 'hefe' (boss) then you'll command respect no matter what you're doing in your bedroom.

The people that I have talked to that have had problems because they're gay have arrived here close to broke, move to a Dominican neighborhood and because they're in the same class as the Dominicans problems can arise.

I know at least 10 gay/lesbian couples here on the north coast that live here just as peacefully as any other human.

So, back to the original question of where to live? I vote for the north coast Cabarete/Sosua area.

Jack.

marwat

Feb 14, 2007
Thanks everybody for your kind responses, you've helped us at least decide on a starting point for our next big adventure, which looks like the north coast.

cheers, Marwat.......

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you seach the board for Cardinal Nicolas (head of RC Church here) you'll pick up some of the stuff Hillbilly & I were referring to. Amazingly anachronistic. You won't get this attitude from most expats or educated Dominicans of course but you might from your maid or gardener. Not to your face, I hasten to add, but it might be around. Best to be prepared since I'd picked up from your original post that maybe you were thinking of integrating with the local community. Which would be good, of course.

Good luck on your next adventure. :)