Santiago Enygma

jrenatof

Feb 14, 2007
I have about 6 months living in Santiago, and something that has come to my attention is the statue on the top of the "Monumento" with his both hands raised at shoulder hight.

I've asked many local people of any social and economic level but none of them have been able to answer my question about Who is the person represented in the statue??!!

Doing a little research it is probably a statue of the ex-dictator Trujillo, but in other websites they refer to the statue as "The Peace Angel" ...

Do you know Who is that statue??????

Thanks !

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Your enigma is solved. This statue representes the Guardian Angel. His job is to pretect Santiago from any danger. It's not the statue of any mortal.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The Angel of Peace

4i1l8he.jpg

Sep 20, 2003
Was the angel on top of that pillar when the monument was orginally built? I read that Trujillo bullied people into building that monument as a tribute to him. Wasn't there orginally some marble busts of El jefe at the monuments base?

Perhaps I'm thinking of a diffferent monument?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I'm confused:confused:

I'm not sure that's on the top of the monument.

What took you so long?... ;) Actually, the angel of the picture is called "El ?ngel de la Independencia" and it's located on Paseo de La Reforma, Mexico City.

jrenatof

Feb 14, 2007
I dont think so

This is a close up of the "Monumento's" statue.
I don't think it's an angel...
And what does the position of its arms represent?
34p0yoj.jpg

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Was the angel on top of that pillar when the monument was orginally built? I read that Trujillo bullied people into building that monument as a tribute to him. Wasn't there orginally some marble busts of El jefe at the monuments base?

Perhaps I'm thinking of a diffferent monument?

You are right at one time there was a marble busts of El Jefe at the base, I believe it was facing the city.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
This is a close up of the "Monumento's" statue.
I don't think it's an angel...
And what does the position of its arms represent?
34p0yoj.jpg

In aircraft marshalling, that position of the arms represents 'stop'.

jrenatof

Feb 14, 2007
hehehe
Well it's kindof sad actually, because the fact that the statue is on the top of the structure implies that the whole monument was built for it... And noone knows who this mister is.:ermm:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The name of the statue is "Estatua de la Paz". Statue of Peace, symbolizing the good works of the Trujillo government. Original design of monument was by Engineer-Architect Henry Gazon Bona a Colonel of the Army. Later modifications were done by Engineer Mauricio Alvarez Perello.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
'It was this big, your honour................'
or 'Shortage of propane? What shortage of propane?'
or 'I stopped this far from the car in front'...........
or 'Anyone know of a good chiropracter?'.........

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Here;
SnapshotJourneys | Travel Photos Dominican Republic | Day Trip to Santiago Cigar Factory and Waterfalls

?Monument to Trujillo at Santiago

A statue of Rafael Trujillo (in power from 1930-1961) tops the monument now named Monument to the Heroes of the Restoration of the Republic. His legacy includes amassing a personal fortune at the Dominicans' expense.

Our guide explained that the tower was too difficult to get a crew to the top to replace it, so it's still there.

The monument is 67 metres (220 feet) high, and apparently affords wonderful views of the valley, and beyond from the observation area.

With the elevator out of order at the time I was there, and tour time short, we didn't get to climb up the eight storey stairway to the top. ?

Rick

Halfway down the page

jrenatof

Feb 14, 2007
Great!

Great Rick
I think that Now the enigma (well... mine at least) is solved.

Thanks so much, to all of you who shared your thoughts!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
'It was this big, your honour................'
or 'Shortage of propane? What shortage of propane?'
or 'I stopped this far from the car in front'...........
or 'Anyone know of a good chiropracter?'.........
jajajajajajaja

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
It shows how dangerous the city is. Even the statues rais thier hands in order to surrender

Private joke

Greetings

Johan