Flight cancellations

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I am wondering what happens to the passengers whose flights were cancelled due to the weather. Do they add extra flights to the destination, especially since the next day fliers already have tickets and seat numbers. Just curious, because I believe American Airlines cancelled all the JFK-STI flights today, starting with Flight#833. I believe there are only three daily flights from JFK to STI.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Ricardo,

One on my friends was on AA833 at 6 a.m. this morning. This is what they did:

They said they won't add flights. They confirmed her on the 11:30 a.m. on FRIDAY and told her that if she wanted to she could show up tomorrow at 4 a.m. and get on stand by for the 6 a.m. and if she doesn't get on that one try the next and then the next.

She opted to just wait till Friday. Doesn't want to deal with the hassle.

If it were me I'd go on stand by. There is always a cancelation or a no show. I've done standby twice in the past and have gotten on.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Ricardo,

One on my friends was on AA833 at 6 a.m. this morning. This is what they did:

They said they won't add flights. They confirmed her on the 11:30 a.m. on FRIDAY and told her that if she wanted to she could show up tomorrow at 4 a.m. and get on stand by for the 6 a.m. and if she doesn't get on that one try the next and then the next.

She opted to just wait till Friday. Doesn't want to deal with the hassle.

If it were me I'd go on stand by. There is always a cancelation or a no show. I've done standby twice in the past and have gotten on.

thanks, I was curious because I am reserved for AA833 on thursday at 6am. I am like you, I would wait on standby, done it before and lucked out on a first-class seat and the other time got 8,000 frequent flier miles & food vouchers. In the winter, I always book the earliest flight just in case of delays and cancellations because if you miss the last flight out, you have to wait till the morning.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
My Delta Flight 917 just got cancelled :( All of the other flights were either cancelled or sold out. The only availability to fly was for Saturday. A lot of other people were in similar situation.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
At least you weren't on JETBLUE Avora. Did you hear what happened at JFK? People were stranded inside the airplane for up to 8 hours.

Jun 5, 2004
The Daily news reported that the flight to Aruba was in the runway for 11 hours yet the flight was cancelled today???? Delta departed yesterday to SDQ (when the actual storm happened) yet cancelled it flights today when everything is going into normality?????????

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Flight 618 to NY

Flight 618 to NY which was due in NY at 4pm had delays in time up till an hour ago when they cancelled it. "New" time 7AM Fri. AA offered NADA to the people cancelled. No food, beverage, Nada.Know someone at the airport with no money. Has no choice but to sit there until tomorrow and hope she gets on the 7AM.
Pitiful--AA says you are entitled to n othing since its not their fault --the weather.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
The Daily news reported that the flight to Aruba was in the runway for 11 hours yet the flight was cancelled today???? Delta departed yesterday to SDQ (when the actual storm happened) yet cancelled it flights today when everything is going into normality?????????

Yen, they cancelled some of the flights (mine was one of them :ermm: ). On the positive side I did not have to sit inside the airplane or hang out for hours at an airport half way to the destination. And, there are flights for the next weekend, so I might still make it to the Carnival! What about the weather forecast? I hope nothing happens.

Platano Drifter

Feb 7, 2007
i heard about those flights it must really suck i hate airplanes im way to big for their seats my damn leg is always pushing the reclining buttom and when the flight atendant tells me to put my seat upright i tell them how about you desight a better char for people my size LOL just so u guys know im 6'3'' 300lb but people dont belive me when i tell them how much i weigh lol but seriously 8 hours in aplanr i'll go freakin crazy....back to topic i dont really like takin risks i go to a flight agency and buy my ticket for the day im leavin so i know i have a spot to me it makes no difference cause the flights from miami to STI are economical flight meaning theres no 1st class so everyone gets the same seat but luckily for me my agency gave me a emergenys exit row were there is moe leg room for someone my size so STi here i come im leavin 6p.m from miami anyone else has this flight???

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
Delta flights to Punta cana was delayed to 3pm today with a charter code number. But the return of the flight was cancelled.

Delta cancelled yesturday Santo domingo-JFK flights

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Update!

I went to JFK on Thursday the 15th at 4am and the place looked like a refugee camp, people sleeping on the floors and cots everywhere, the check-in line was unbelievably long and was not moving. But I remember an earlier poster talking about the new "International self-check-in Kiosk", I located the Kiosk, there were three people ahead of me, got to the kiosk, typed in my flight number, swiped my passport, and "bada-bing" out comes my boarding pass, sweeet!!

Now for the nightmare:dead:,
I was sitting on the hot plane for 8 hours, my 6am flight didn't leave till around 1 or 2pm, only gave us water and coffee, no food vouchers. The passengers were getting angry and many of them were opening their "duty free" liquor. Half-way thru the trip, most of them were drunk, singing and dancing in the aisles. Next thing, the captain gets on the PA system and says, "If you don't sit down and stop opening and drinking the duty free liqour", "I am turning this plane around", hahaha.

Return trip,
Was very smooth and quick, but holy-moly, I think all of the International flights arrived at JFK at the same time, so you know what that means. Customs was FULL!!!!! of people and got so bad, the staff had to run and turn off the escalator because the crowd backed up all passed the stairs and people couldn't get off the escalator at the bottom. But, what I did was, stayed all the way to left side by the wall towards the handicap foreign travelers line and screened out, 8 MINUTES!!!!!, I even got ahead of one of the stewardess, who saw me at the ATM and asked me how the hell you get thru customs that fast, I said "ancient chinese secret", hahahaha.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Now for the nightmare:dead:,
I was sitting on the hot plane for 8 hours, my 6am flight didn't leave till around 1 or 2pm, only gave us water and coffee, no food vouchers. The passengers were getting angry and many of them were opening their "duty free" liquor. Half-way thru the trip, most of them were drunk, singing and dancing in the aisles. Next thing, the captain gets on the PA system and says, "If you don't sit down and stop opening and drinking the duty free liqour", "I am turning this plane around", hahaha.

I heard on TV that anyone stuck on the plane for more than 6 hours is being compensated with a free trip voucher so check into that. Retro active to last Thursday.

Sep 19, 2005
hey richard a plane loads worth of people bound for Haiti was still camped out at the AA terminal at 3 am on friday!!!! they were all still waiting on standby!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

if they cancel a plane...standby has to be the worst possible option!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there would be a HUGE number who want to get on standby...they all are fighting for a few seats that open up on the subsequent flights....so the next three flights might have 10 seats open up( a very large number to hope for) and then 30 people come off standby and get a flight...what happens to the other 100???????? f o r get it!!

there were still trying to squeeze a bunch of people on standby onto our 6 am flight friday( the first flight of the day to the DR)....there were at least 25 people....there was maybwe 2 or 3 seats open...I know because as a AA gold member they asked if I wanted to move up to first class for free, because they were going to put a few standby people on the plane...and they would give me the good seat before they gave it to one of them...

so i got that first class seat at 6:05 , because the first class ticket holder hadnt checked in yet....for the 6:10 departure....guess what?

at 6:30 because of baggage delays...they pulled me out of my first class seat and stuck me back where I was originally ticketed for, because the lady in first classed showed up!!!!

what the FREAK happened to 45 minutes before departure...check in is CLOSED...I got screwed because i was 4 minutes late once, and I had to buy a new ticket for the next day at $600 MORE....but this lady gets on the plane and the pull an indian giver on me......I am mad as helllll

she should never have been allowed on the plabne...45 minute before departure...no check in!!

and she hadnt checked in by 6:05.....because that is when they generated a new ticket for me for her seat!

plane left over an hour late....

the guy who was on standby and got my seat got the boot off the plane!!!!

sooooooooooo they had to pull his luggage off as well.......total BS from AA

in any case I would have hated that front row first class seat , becasue it had NO LEG ROOM for a tall guy like me

the fifth row is wider than the fourth row, so my legs stretched out in the isle in front of me in my isle seat....

bob

Jun 5, 2004
I heard on TV that anyone stuck on the plane for more than 6 hours is being compensated with a free trip voucher so check into that. Retro active to last Thursday.

AnnaC I believe that Ricardo was on AA833 and not JetBlue which is the one offering all these things now. It seems very interesting all they are offering but i dont know if they are going to be able to get all those people back. This should be intresting because all the flights to DR in the summer and in x mas time get delayed for atleast an hour. I could imagine all the people that are going to have vouchers now.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004

Contacted American Airlines and the customer service rep. said "The problems were due to the bad weather and We don't apoligize for being safe." She told me to I should've gotten off the plane and confronted one of the personel there or login to AA website and send them an e-mail. I hear the people being compensated are the fliers on JetBlue, who was stuck on the tarmac for 11 hours. I sent them an e-mail, I guess wait and see, knowing them, I probably would get a AA t-shirt and coffee mug, hahahaha.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I know because as a AA gold member they asked if I wanted to move up to first class for free, because they were going to put a few standby people on the plane...and they would give me the good seat before they gave it to one of them...

Gold Member??? I am more of a Bronze Member, hahaha. I tried before the flight to get an upgrade to first class and she told me "she'll see what she can do" 30 minutes later she said "I moved your seat from 30J to 20A". Wow, thanks alot, good looking out and she was the nice one. The other rep, just laughed and said if you are not a Gold or Platinum member, fughettaboutit.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Here is an EXTREMELY useful link. I have used it numerous times. Last time I used it was in March of 2005 (the last time I flew AA). My flight got delayed 4 hours due to "mechanical issues" at STI. I filed a claim through the below link and got 15,000 advantage miles added to my account within 5 days of filing the claim.

https://www.aa.com/apps/utility/contactAA/EmailCustomerRelations.jhtml?_requestid=408130

Ricardo,
AA doesn't give anything out for "weather related" delays. I've tried it many times and never got anything from them.

Sep 19, 2005
hey alex...who knows?.....they tell me I am gold...funny the AA woman at STI when i checked in to leave told me she noticed I havent updated my gold status with THEM... and that if i did , I could beenfit from doign that, with things like faster immigrations pass through and checkin...and well I am not sure of all the others things.

I told her that the immigration at STI goes about as fast as it possibly can...once you get to the window after you arrive..i doubt I spent 20 seconds there, and then was off to the baggage carousel.....

bob

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Yeah Bob.

I'm really surprised at how fast you go through the whole immigration process at STI. I had never flown to SDQ and did so in Dec of 2005 and it took longer to go through. In Santiago it takes me 40 minutes to an hour. That time in the capital took almost 2 hours.