Dangerous Roads

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
For those of you who complain about roads in The DR being dangerous check this out Dark Roasted Blend: The Most Dangerous Roads in the World

On that note can anyone name The DR's most dangerous roads...One that I know of is the one going From Cotui to Pimentel through La Bija. Well right now the bridge on Camu river is out. This bridge is right after a curve and there's no warning that the bridge is out.

Before the bridge fell down the river took out part of the road and for a while there there was only less than half the road left in a certain area. If you didn't know you could drive right off the "road" and into the river...a few people did.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Roads in d/r great

:bunny: I thought the roads in D/R were bad :ermm: i will never moan again:surprised :speechles

Platano Drifter

Feb 7, 2007
i know of pretty bad one but i havnt been there in a while maybe when i go this year i'll take some pix of it, its a road to a little village were my mom was born and raised it seems each time i go the road gets wors and worse

C

Chip00

Road to Barahona

If I remember correctly 7 years ago when I was traveling from the capital to Barahona or maybe Elias Pina we crossed over a mainly dry river bed and they were like 6 large culvert pipes under the road and only about 12-14' width of dirt on top of it - it was like something out of Indiana Jones. I couldn't imagine being on a bus trying to cross that thing.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
A bad one is the carretera 25(I think) from Puerto Plata to Santiago. Its a shorter ride than carretera 5. Crazy curves all the way. I have only been on it twice and there will not be a third. The second time I took it a truck had gone over the ledge on to a river below. Hair raising curves!!!! oh and lots of potholes.:paranoid:

C

Chip00

A bad one is the carretera 25(I think) from Puerto Plata to Santiago. Its a shorter ride than carretera 5. Crazy curves all the way. I have only been on it twice and there will not be a third. The second time I took it a truck had gone over the ledge on to a river below. Hair raising curves!!!! oh and lots of potholes.:paranoid:

Heck that's my favorite way to go to the North Coast. Mind you I wouldn't want to do it a night but I've travelled it at least 5 times both ways and we didn't have any problems. Yes there are high dropoffs w/o guardrails but then again there are high drop offs in the Appalachians w/o guardrails too.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"ALL" Roads Are Danderous In The DR!

And now they are even MORE DANGEROUS,as the new "Business" of stealing "Man-Hole Covers" to sell for scrap has left 100s of holes in the streets of Santo Domingo. Driving at night is a "Nightmare"! Hit one of the openings at any speed will tear your vehicle apart at least,and kill you at most!

"What A Country"!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
bad 1

...but does anyone have any DR roads they want to mention. Pics would be great.
the winding rd going to moca when you turn off the highway from sto.domg is pretty hairy as its twisty and narrow.
higuey to bavaro has had its fair share of fatalaties too.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
And now they are even MORE DANGEROUS,as the new "Business" of stealing "Man-Hole Covers" to sell for scrap has left 100s of holes in the streets of Santo Domingo. Driving at night is a "Nightmare"! Hit one of the openings at any speed will tear your vehicle apart at least,and kill you at most!

"What A Country"!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Sooo true! My kids are scared to death of falling in one :bunny:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Why............

I'm surprised no Iraqi road made the cut..

Even Iraq at war has more power than the DR.......It amazes me when I watch television and see that when a country AT WAR loses power for 20 minutes it makes CNN!.................I would think the DR has a better chance of making it on the "worst road list".......LOL