La Mulata

C

Chip00

When I first came to the DR in '99 I knew nothing about this place other than it had without doubt the most beautiful women I had ever seen. I learned later on that they would be classified as "mulatas" - a mixtrure of white and black. In fact I ended up marrying one. I had really no idea that such an attractive combination existed having grown up in the deep south there really isn't that much intermarrying.

What I haven't understood is why the Dominicans elevate "la rubia" so much when in my opinion "las mulata" are as attractive in many ways if not more. I do understand personal "taste" has something to do with it but dark skin nor curly hair nor features that wouldn't be classified as "fino" shouldn't be automatic disqualifiers. More than likely it has to do with the dislike for all things "Haitian".

The positive that I see out of this is I believe things are changing as I checked out the Miss Mundo Domicana and it appears that the majority of the contestants are mulatas as was not the case the previous 3 years. Also, finally in the US intermarrying is becoming more commen in many areas and thus the "mulato" presence will be seen more which can only help.

Let's just hope that a "mulata" makes it to the finals of Miss World so the world sees a true beauty representative of the DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Whatever Dominicana that was chosen would be representive of a true Dominican beauty. If the majority of Dominican women are short, but they always pick a tall girl(truth), regardless of her colour, are they picking the most beautiful women? No, they are picking the girl they think will have the best chance of winning.
If you are every in Canada, in almost any of the major cities you will see many blended race people. Go to a Toronto Rapters game and you will be go blind from the beauty of all the mixed race women, of all races, not just black and white.

C

Chip00

No, they are picking the girl they think will have the best chance of winning.

If that's the case that is the problem I believe. I think the contestant should be representative of the country. Hopefully a contestant will win this year who is really representative of the people here. Besides isn't the point of the contest to showcase the different peoples and cultures of the world?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Chip - I agree with you about Mulatas. I think the contrast of the dark olive skin color with the curly and unrully hair (BTW - not the usual pelo malo, but the type that gets straight w/o desrrizado!) is amazing.

Regarding Miss Dominican - the one with the most connections and money will make it to the top. Once in Miss Mundo and all, thats another story ( I think). But when it is regional or just in DR - it isnt about looks or who best represents the Dominicanas. If it were like that, then a darker girl with the best dubie blow out would have to win, and we all know that wont be the case anytime soon...

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Those mulatas you see in DR are not a product of a single process but a product of a continual re-mixing process that gets more beautiful through generations.