Any Cdn travel agents on here?? Help, please!

DRgirlatheart

Sep 20, 2003
Hi!

I am in the process of booking my next trip to PC through a friend of mine at work. She tells me she works part time with a travel agency, and has offered me a really good price for Riu Naiboa in April. Normally, I would have no reason to doubt this girl, but she has told me that she needs a copy of our passports - for audit purposes. This is the first time I have ever been asked for this, and, frankly, I am not sure I'm comfortable with it! Is that not supposed to be a secure document? If I do give her the copy, is there anything anyone can do with it that would cause us grief later on?

Any info, suggestions, or advice would be very welcome! She is off work until Monday, so I have until then to check out my suspicions. I hate to be suspicious like this, but my little voice is working overtime, so I feel I should do my due diligence and check things out.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Regards.

lanner

Jan 21, 2005
Hello,
I am from Canada and both times we have been to the Dominican Republic we have gone through travel agents to book our trip. Not once were we asked to show our passports.

A

apostropheman

i've never been asked for my passport but in the past have had to show ID...drivers license to get my tickets.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
No passports required to book tickets......you will need to show some ID to pick them up and of course you will need to take your passport with you to actually board the flight......

BTW....I book all my tickets with an agent in Vancouver and fly out of Toronto...... so no...I don't give the agent a copy of my passport. The boarding agent at the airport needs it when I 'exercise' my E-ticket to board the flight to begin the security check-in process.

Now why would she want copies of your passport?????

Last edited:

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I'm not a Canadian agent, but have worked as a travel agent in the US for 23 years.

Since your co-worker is a 'part time' person she probably doesn't understand the requirements that are or are not required when booking an international package.

There is no reason to have a 'copy' of a passport, although depending on the air carrier, she can ask for your passport number and expiration date.

Ask her to double check the regulations and get back to you as you do not feel comfortable providing copies of your passport.

Rule number one in travel...... If you don't feel comfortable with the booking, walk away.

Jack

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I am an ex-travel agent from Canada, and in no uncertain terms, give her a copy of your passport.

First, you are not even required to have a passport to travel to the DR at this time, unless you have connecting flights in the U.S. A direct flight to the DR only requires 2 pieces of ID (one with picture on it).

I would seriously wonder what her motive is there. Like Jack said, she may just be unaware, but I highly doubt it. In fact, I would do a check on this travel agency that she works at. I think I would ask to speak to the manager as well and find out his/her policy. He/she may be in on this, or she could be doing a little scam on her own, in which, she should be penalized.

It just doesn't sit well with me, either. If you want to name the travel agency, I could do a check on them for you. Or you could pm me, if you do not want to post the information.

In fact, I will do a little checking on this so-called policy right now. Hopefully, I don't have to eat my words!:)

Marlie

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Okay, I just got off the phone with Rachel Palozzi who is the compliance officer with the Travel Industry Council of Ontario.

She said that a travel agent is not legally-binded to have a copy of your passport for any reason whatsoever, especially for an audit!

She stated that it is the travel agents responsibility to ask the client, when the client is travelling to a destination where a passport is required, if they possess one. The client and travel agent do have to sign a form stating that passenger was informed of the passport regulations and that the client is aware that they must have their passport with them.

She also stated that since the the DR is a destination which does not require a Canadian resident to have a passport to enter (again, if not connecting in the US), the form does not come into the travel arrangements.

She said to tell you not to give a copy of your passport to anyone (with the exception of a family member in case of any emergency that you may encounter while travelling). She said that you could be opening yourself up to a perfect case of identity fraud.

I hope that this helps!

Marlie

DRgirlatheart

Sep 20, 2003
Thank you so much!

Thanks to everyone for their input. Marliejaneca, I will send you a PM with the travel agency name. I am not sure I caught the full name from her, but will hopefully be able to give you enough to check on.

Thanks again. I am definitely going to let her know that we do not feel comfortable giving a copy of our passports. If she pushes, well, I will just have to tell her that, as much as I don't want to affect our work relationship, I will have to forego the booking. Period. End of sentence.

Regards to all.

efoley81

Jan 5, 2007
hi i would like to add my thoughts on this , i just got home from the dr on the 17th and this is what happened to me , we had edocs and we arrived at the hotel in pop they took them and because i was tired i never really gave it a second thought, until we were leaving and they asked for them at the airport. i tried to explain to the check in counter, but she didn't really listen and disappeared in to the back with our pasports , i was very upset , the signature rep appeared and told us not to worry we would still be able to broard the plane, i was still upset as i still didn;t know where my passport was , the counter girl appeared with our passports but she had photoecopied our passports, i felt uneasy with this and asked to speak to the signature rep, she said not to worry it was needed as we didn't have tickets , i stated that they had picked us from the hotel by our names and we were listed on the list for the plane WHY ON EARTH DID THEY NEED OUR PASSPORTS COPIED , she said it was nessary, i plan to contact sell off vacitions today as i am not happy that this was done , so beaware to make more than one copy of your edocs .............

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Passports especially Canadian, British and US ones are highly sought after. Never let anyone copy your passport and always keep extra copies of all your travel documents with you. Make sure that you don't keep both copies in the same place because if you lose one set then guess what? the copied set is also gone. Keep one in a lining in your case and the other on you preferably and also keep a set with a family member at home. Be prepared for anything.

My cousin and Aunt & Uncle went to India one year and took a taxi from the airport to their hotel. The taxi took them out of the city where they were robbed at gunpoint. They took their money and valuables but luckily they had copies of all their documents hidden in their suitcases and at home.

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
I am a Canadian travel agent, and the only reason that offices need copies of your passports is when they are helping with wedding arrangements. Some agencies do keep passport copies on file, for booking purposes!!! Correct spelling of names, birthdates...etc. I really wouldn't make such a big deal about it. You would not believe the number of people that constantly relay misinformation about name spellings of their travelling companions. Copies of documentation prevent this.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
I am an ex-travel agent from Canada, and in no uncertain terms, give her a copy of your passport.

First, you are not even required to have a passport to travel to the DR at this time, unless you have connecting flights in the U.S. A direct flight to the DR only requires 2 pieces of ID (one with picture on it).

I am from Canada and I have travelled to the DR five times in less than a year and I have NEEDED a passport everytime

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003

I am from Canada and I have travelled to the DR five times in less than a year and I have NEEDED a passport everytime

Mart0417 - Can you explain this - why did you need a passport when one is not required?

Stormer - With respect- I do understand that some agents keep copies of their long-term clients passports for a myriad of reasons, one being for contact info in case of emergency.

The point being was that this agency is not well-known to the OP, and the reason given by the agent (audit purposes) is not a valid reason to copy ones passport. That is why it alarmed so many of us!

That being said, a copy for proper spelling of names etc. is not neccesary as well. The customer can provide the passport to the agent so that they may write down proper information, but the passport also includes much information that should not be in the hands of an unknown.

When a situation like this alarms TICO, I would say that we are not over-reacting here.

I researched this company for the OP and it is not a regular franchise travel agency (eg: Carlson-Wagonlit, etc.) but it trains its agents through an online course and promises them their licenses in a matter of hours! It also claims to pay back their agents 75% commissions on all bookings. Now we all know that doesn't sound kosher, does it! This particular agency has a office in Canada but no link to it, only a phone number or a suite number and street address.

Given these facts, I myself, would be wary of any intentions by this agent. I would also be interested, since it is a US based company out of California, if any travel packages sold would be protected through the Ontario Compensation fund?

Anyway, hopefully the OP will post again to let us know what she has decided.

Marlie

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Thanks Marlie for very informative post.

Can you post a few info on what to do in case of lost passport, stolen ID's in DR? Who to contact or what is the procedure.

Thanks,
WebDev

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Thanks Marlie for very informative post.

Can you post a few info on what to do in case of lost passport, stolen ID's in DR? Who to contact or what is the procedure.

Thanks,
WebDev

Here is the information for the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo and in Puerto Plata. Contact them immediately if this situation occurs.

Embassy of Canada
Address: Capit?n Eugenio de Marchena No. 39, La Esperilla, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Postal Address: P.O. Box 2054, Santo Domingo 1, Dominican Republic
Tel.: (809) 685-1136; 1-200-0012 (toll-free within Dominican Republic - service sans frais en R?publique dominicaine)
Emergency toll-free to Ottawa: 1-888-156-3102
Fax: (809) 682-2691
E-Mail: sdmgo@international.gc.ca
Internet: Dominican Republic / R?publique dominicaine

Consulate of Canada
Address: Calle Virginia E. Ortea, Edificio Isabel de Torres, Suite 311-C,
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Tel.: (809) 586-5761
Emergency toll-free to Ottawa: 1-888-156-3102
Fax: (809) 586-5762
E-Mail: pplat.canada@verizon.net.do

Here is the link for information on what to do if you lose or have your passport stolen:

Passport Canada: Lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed or inaccessible passport

Marlie

DRgirlatheart

Sep 20, 2003
Clarification

Greetings, all!

I did speak with my colleague, and advised her that we do not feel comfortable with a copy of our passports out there. She said she does use it for confirmation of names, etc., and she also says she completes the paperwork for us re: entry docs. That said, she did not make a fuss over not getting the copy, but would like the passport number and to at least see the passport so that she can note in the paperwork that she has seen the original.

I specifically asked if this is TICO covered, and she said yes, also advised they have to put their TICO number on the travel docs. When I looked on the TICO website, it is listed as being a member.

All of this said, I do feel better about things. Is there any reason I should still be concerned? Could I be putting myself in the same danger by giving her my passport # as I could have been giving her a copy?

Please advise asap, as I would like to get this all settled asap.

Thanks to everyone for the input and assistance.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
DRgirl.....I travel from Canada to the DR twice a year for 17 years and also frequently to Europe, therefore for 40 years I always travel with my passport even when driving to the US from Canada. I book through a travel agent, online, over the phone etc. and I deal with whomever gives me the best price for the travel needed.
I have NEVER, ever had to provide a passport to be copied, or a passport number to any of them.....so be suspect, be cautious and be safe.....book elsewhere!!!

PS if you need a good on-line agent (with a physical address) PM me and I'll tell you where to look- I use this agency frequently for travel to the DR because they often have the best deals.

Last edited:

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
asked for it

Mart0417 - Can you explain this - why did you need a passport when one is not required?

Stormer - With respect- I do understand that some agents keep copies of their long-term clients passports for a myriad of reasons, one being for contact info in case of emergency.

The point being was that this agency is not well-known to the OP, and the reason given by the agent (audit purposes) is not a valid reason to copy ones passport. That is why it alarmed so many of us!

That being said, a copy for proper spelling of names etc. is not neccesary as well. The customer can provide the passport to the agent so that they may write down proper information, but the passport also includes much information that should not be in the hands of an unknown.

When a situation like this alarms TICO, I would say that we are not over-reacting here.

I researched this company for the OP and it is not a regular franchise travel agency (eg: Carlson-Wagonlit, etc.) but it trains its agents through an online course and promises them their licenses in a matter of hours! It also claims to pay back their agents 75% commissions on all bookings. Now we all know that doesn't sound kosher, does it! This particular agency has a office in Canada but no link to it, only a phone number or a suite number and street address.

Given these facts, I myself, would be wary of any intentions by this agent. I would also be interested, since it is a US based company out of California, if any travel packages sold would be protected through the Ontario Compensation fund?

Anyway, hopefully the OP will post again to let us know what she has decided.

Marlie

I am always asked if I have a passport

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
I saw it mentioned on this thread a couple times now that a passport is not required for travel to DR. I think that has just recently (this month) stopped being the case. Check out the western hemisphere travel initiative at Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Basically, if you travel through the US, you need a passport. I'd assume that it would be a good thing to have a passport even if you are not going through the US, just in case you get diverted to the US, or something happens that requires you to abandon your vacation and get home using scheduled service on US Airways or something like that...