sorry it's morbid, but.......

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Apologies if this is a bit morbid, but as I lay dying at the back of my house after I was shot in the throat, it did enter my head (along with various other things) what would happen to my body. I should say at this stage I didn't think I would make it. Afterwards when it was clear I wasn't dead, my english and american friends were all saying they were wondering what to do with me if I had died, as they thought I wouldn't make it either. I have been to too many Dominican funerals here (2 in 45 years in UK, 10 in 5 years here) to know I do not want the same for me. Buried within 24-36 hours (how would all my mates from UK get here in time), laid out on table on patio with eyes and mouth superglued shut, lots of people taking photos, buried in Juan Dolio cemetry (which is sand so you toast quickly) in cardboard coffin, buried 6 inches deep, so when people go for walk afterwards your feet sink in ground and come up with bits of bone stuck to your flip flop. In every funeral I have been to, the coffin wouldn't fit inthe hole, so either a motoconcho had to go and find a spade to make it bigger, or they have sawed a bit off the coffin, and then the body falls out. My husband (Dominican) explained I have to wash him when he dies. No wonder there is gnashing of teeth, wailing and pulling out of hair!!! I CAN'T DO IT!!!! Plus to make matters worse an American guy died here a year ago of natural causes, and had to have an autopsy, and someone told me that all foreigners (and I will always be a foreigner even if I am a Dominican citizen methinks) have all their organs taken out in Santo Domingo. I WANT TO BE BURIED OR CREMATED WHOLE!! I know I don't want to be flown back to cold UK. I want to stay here, but I want dignity and I wnat to be buried somewhere nice or cremated and maybe scattered in the sea. Is that possible? A friend is going to mix her husbands ashes with concrete and make an artificial reef for the fish. Would that be possible? Any ideas anyone, and is it true that the Dominicans would try and nick my insides? All advice gratefully appreciated so i can get this straight just in case I get shot again. Thanks

Matilda

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Good Investment

I remember having read a newspaper article about a park like private cemetary being projected in Santo Domingo. I think it's the second of such nature.
Unfortunately I didn't bookmark the URL.

Found it:
.: Parque Cementerio Puerta del Cielo :.

The real estate people should look into this opportyunity...
It's a dead sure investment with a good (or never) return...

m'frog

Last edited:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Relax Matilda when the time comes you're not going to feel a thing. ;)

On a serious note when my father passed away in Santiago 4 years ago he died and was buried with all his parts. I think in the US its more common removing the organs of the deceased, but I could be wrong. I guess you can write up a will detailing exactly what you want done in your funeral. Nothing morbid about your topic, we all will be taking that one way trip one day. Btw are you performing those karaokes.:cheeky:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Relax Matilda when the time comes you're not going to feel a thing. ;)

Funnily enough you don't feel anything (in that it doesn't hurt when you get shot) but I did wonder what would happen to me if I didn't make it.

Btw are you performing those karaokes.:cheeky:

No not yet! Voice is not too bad speaking but still can't shout ( to the relief of kids, dogs and husband), still get asked to speak up on telephone (GRRRRRR) and still can't sing.....But who knows, apparently nerves take a while to heal, and maybe the hole in my voice box will sort of stick itself together. But thanks for asking!

matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what's the deal with gutting dead people? in what way is it beneficial? is it environmentally friendly or what? is that for embalming purposes?

my friend in london had her husband's ashes buried on the grounds of arsenal. little crazy.

actually, i have given a thought to it myself - what will happen to my body? i have seen one funeral in POP, indeed the body is buried next day (don't they ever do post mortem?) but here it is swiftly packed into a small cement mausoleum with cemetery workers in jeans and t shirts jumping on other graves to fit the coffin in. mausolea are packed in so tight it is not possible not to step on someone else's grave in the process, not to mention the fact the coffin will be pulled an pushed in all sorts of different positions, horizontally and vertically - imagine a child trying to fit a lego piece into a round hole. makes quite entertainment, i think. i was waiting for grandma to pop out of the box anytime....

so, minovio's mum already told me she has bought a space for me in POP cemetery. she is thinking ahead, gotta give it to her. feels even stranger because in poland you can only buy a space if you are gravely ill (i like the pun) or very old....

with my recent amoeba problems i made minovio promise he has me shipped back home, preferably already cremated. i want to RIP in my beloved cemetery is szczecin (second biggest necropolis in europe).

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
with my recent amoeba problems i made minovio promise he has me shipped back home, preferably already cremated. i want to RIP in my beloved cemetery is szczecin (second biggest necropolis in europe).

You love this man? Yet you made him promise he would become involved in international trans-shipment of weapons of biological warfare (your amoebaed remains)................hmmm.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it will not be the first time evil imperialistic reactionary would send a plague over the heads of innocent polish citizens. in the forties wicked americans send their planes filled to the bream with hungry larvas of a potato beetle ( Colorado potato beetle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) in an attempt to destroy the peaceful communist nation. poor humble polish peasant would cry seeing his crop destroyed by this diabolic saboteur, come back to his barn and silently place the noose over his hard muscular neck...

yes, it has all happened before...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
if you dont mind me askin how did you get shot???

With a gun!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist it. Interrupted 2 guys robbing the house. They didn't fancy going to jail and knew I recognised them, so decided to eliminate the problem and shot me. Sh*t happens.

Platano Drifter

Feb 7, 2007
With a gun!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist it. Interrupted 2 guys robbing the house. They didn't fancy going to jail and knew I recognised them, so decided to eliminate the problem and shot me. Sh*t happens.

damn im sorry to hear that, lad ur ok atleast i could relate on sililar situation but it never got that serious i guess its just a case of wright place wrong time :hurt: :cool:

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
...But who knows, apparently nerves take a while to heal, and maybe the hole in my voice box will sort of stick itself together.

I had a second cousin or third cousin who was a farmer and flipped over a big farm tractor and as far as we all know completely crushed/destroyed his voice box. The next few family gatherings we all knew not to talk to him as he was completely mute but after a couple of years that son of a gun somehow taught himself to talk without the use his voicebox.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, matilda, ventriloquism is a hope for you. think about new amazing opportunities it can offer!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
yes, matilda, ventriloquism is a hope for you. think about new amazing opportunities it can offer!

Yes but I have to be the dummy???? Depends whose lap I get to sit on. Do you think Brad Pitt wants to be a ventriloquist?