Orange Dominicana Question

aaperalta833

Feb 17, 2007
Hi! I am new to the forums and I have a question about Orange. I am a US citizen and I know that to get a prepaid account you have to have a cedula? Is it possible for me to get an account with a US passport? Does any other company does it? Thanks in advance.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, but you have to wait a few days so I'm told while they check your passport. With a cedula it's instant, just one other reason to have a cedula if you live here :)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yes, but you have to wait a few days so I'm told while they check your passport. With a cedula it's instant, just one other reason to have a cedula if you live here :)

Not true in my case. I've bought several Orange phones and had them activated immediately. I don't have a cedula, even though I'm Dominican...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
My Orange cell phone was activated instantly with just a US passport.

Feb 7, 2007
Orange... passport

You must have a passport to by Orange prepaid card. You can bring in any other GSM phone that is not activated within the Orange DR network yet.
Your passport will be scanned and faxed to the main office, where a client account would be open. In most cases this takes only a few minutes.

You can have up to 3 numbers registered under your passport number. If you have various passports (e.g. my country permits having 2 passports (used to be ANY number of passports :( but the European Commission cracked down :( )you can have more lines - e.g. number of passports x 3.

ALSO, if your phone IS activated with a SIM card ORANGE DR, you cannot activate any other SIM card under the same mobile phone - they NOW always put IMEI number into the activation profile, so trying to activate two SIM cards on one phone will not work - tried. That's the way Orange wants you to buy the new phone. Silly, in Europe/USA you can buy a prepaid kit without a phone, just a SIM card, usually with no activation cost. Not a way with Orange DR.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
ALSO, if your phone IS activated with a SIM card ORANGE DR, you cannot activate any other SIM card under the same mobile phone - they NOW always put IMEI number into the activation profile, so trying to activate two SIM cards on one phone will not work - tried. That's the way Orange wants you to buy the new phone. Silly, in Europe/USA you can buy a prepaid kit without a phone, just a SIM card, usually with no activation cost. Not a way with Orange DR.

I use both an Orange DR and Orange UK SIM on my phone without a problem.

I know others that do the same with their phones and swap out their Orange DR SIM for a Cingular one when they get back to the USA.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Not true in my case. I've bought several Orange phones and had them activated immediately. I don't have a cedula, even though I'm Dominican...

I will go back and beat the life out of the guy at the Orange booth who told me that just the other day :)

He also said they now limit it to 5 phone numbers per cedula.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I know others that do the same with their phones and swap out their Orange DR SIM for a Cingular one when they get back to the USA.

I have an Orange DR phone that I use with a Cingular SIM in the US.

PequenaTortuga

Feb 19, 2007
I have an Orange DR phone that I use with a Cingular SIM in the US.

That's good to know. I have an old Orange DR phone, and I was looking in to seeing if the SIM would be compatible with my US Cingular phone. Hopefully when I get back down there, it works.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I went to the Orange store on the Conde. The first time in the store I discovered that if the chip is older than 3 months old you need a new one. I had to go home and get my phone and my chip.-- to make sure--

The second trip I discovered I needed my passport. -- Went back home to get it.

The third and final trip to the the store I discovered that they should've told me that this transaction needed to be done before 7 PM. It was 7:05. I couldn't get my chip and phone activated. I was leaving the next day for Samana--

Things learned----

Chips expire after 3 months of non usage
Bring your passport
Do this transaction BEFORE 7PM
The store is not open on SUNDAY

PequenaTortuga

Feb 19, 2007
Ugh! Chips expire? That's too bad!! I guess I'll have to get a new one.
And, I learned that same lesson, the Orange workers have a bad habit of not telling you exactly everything that you need to complete your transaction... or they make it extremely difficult to get everything done in a timely manner.
Besides that, I do like the service I've gotten from Orange.

Feb 7, 2007
I use both an Orange DR and Orange UK SIM on my phone without a problem.

What I mean is you cannot activate TWO OR MORE ORANGE DR cards under the same mobile phone, has nothing to do with SIM cards form other/foreign operators.

Feb 7, 2007
I will go back and beat the life out of the guy at the Orange booth who told me that just the other day :)

He also said they now limit it to 5 phone numbers per cedula.

This is probably incorrect information, I have confirmed from several vendors (France Mobile, D'junior, etc.) as well as *555 that it is 3, not 5 numbers you can have activated under one cedula/passport number.

Feb 7, 2007
That's good to know. I have an old Orange DR phone, and I was looking in to seeing if the SIM would be compatible with my US Cingular phone. Hopefully when I get back down there, it works.

Most phones brought at dealers (that are brought in by dealers) are unlocked. Most phones brought in by Orange DR are locked. If the phone you buy is offered by the dealer, but not by Orange head office, it most likely is unlocked.

This is easy to find out. Just go to any cellphone repair shop (not the Orange dealer) and ask them to put any foreign SIM into your phone. If the phone turns on and reads on the screen "no service available", "no signal" or similar (basically tring to search for network, without finding it), your phone is unlocked and ready to use with any other SIM card.

If you get "insert SIM", "incorrect SIM", or any other similar "SIM" message right after turning on the phone, your phone is provider-locked. You can usually get the phone unlocked for RD$200 to 300 for most models. Beware, new Motorola phones L7, V3, etc., use something like test-point method for unlocking, it is not that easy, and can damage the software if done improperly, so check that the person unlocking these types of phones is knowledgeable.

For Nokia phone, you can buy unlock codes with entering your IMEI number on the Internet for 5-10 dollars. Just search google for "unlock Nokia phones".

One thing for all travellers - make sure your "my-caller ID" option on the phone is set to "automatic" or "network supported". I spent two weeks in Europe with my L7 with a local prepaid card (T-Mobile SK) trying to find a repair shop (after having it unlocked in DR) thinking something was worng with the phone or it was unlocked incorrectly because I could make no outbound calls and received "call error" message. The same SIM worked in other motorola phone. After some time and googling, I found out to put "my-caller ID") on "automatic" ....... and whoooa it worked (I had it previously set to "always hide my-caller ID")