Dog In Condo Problem

drfan1

Feb 11, 2007
Hi:

My condo corp is saying I can't keep my dog. It's a small dog, quiet and hasn't done or hurt anyone. I looked at the by-law (English translation) and it says you can't keep a domestic animal that will cause damage or annoyance to the neighbours.

Does anyone know what they can do to me, my condo or my dog if I ignore them?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi:

My condo corp is saying I can't keep my dog. It's a small dog, quiet and hasn't done or hurt anyone. I looked at the by-law (English translation) and it says you can't keep a domestic animal that will cause damage or annoyance to the neighbours.

Were you unaware of the law when you moved in, or more specifically, when the dog moved in?
If you were aware, you would have no legal or moral ground to stand on.

guillotine.jpg

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Seems That They ARE "ANNOYED" Just By The Fact That Your Dog Is THERE!

"Lose the dog!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Hi:

They can sue you to have the dog taken out of the condo and for damages...assuming that your dog has annoyed your neighbors and has caused damages.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I think most condo complexes have the same general condo law that excludes domestic animals (our does) however some complexes will allow the dog as long as it does not 'bother' the adjoining units. We went through 5 yrs of hell with an irresponsible owner who had -not one, but two-dogs that barked and howled constantly. Not to mention that they were kept on a fourth floor balconey where the miad washed their excrement off the balconey with a hose so the effluent ran down the side of the building and into the windows of those on the lower three floors. Killed all the grass in the common area where the water flowed.
We went to several 'official' offices and finally sued to have the dogs removed! At which time the owner threatened one of the other owners with a firearm and then got scared of being tossed in jail so made the dogs 'vanish' for good (they had 'vanished' every time a legal authority showed up previously to the firearm incident).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We allow owners to have a dog in the apartment as long as it doesn't bother anyone. If it is a barking dog, it has to be kept some place else.They are not allowed to have the dog in the common areas, but must talk it for walks off the property. Renters are not allowed to have pets.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I would never "ignore" a written "order" or anything the sort in any country... that includes the DR.
The best way to fight things like that I have found is to write back, certified mail, asking for grounds (you say the HOA Bylaws may allow an animal AS LONG there is NO DAMAGE or annoyance), so have them list the incidents with proof (especially if you are sure there aren't any), and secondly indicate your opposition and you expect answer before evaluation your options. In other words you put them into a situation of having to proof things and work (write). For the time being you are covered, as you can always claim that you have answered to their claim and haven't yet received an answer back... no answer means to you that the case is settled in your favor.
Get some neighbors to back you ("we don't mind XYZ's doggie..." and so forth)... get signatures.
I am not a lawyer, so this is in no way intended to be legal advise... just my opinions or what I would do if I felt treated in a inequitable manner.
On the other hand, if your dog is a pain in the *** (not everybody maybe as thrilled as you may get by it's barking or it's fertilizing efforts all over common grounds), your dog or you both will have to find a new home.

... J-D.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
What I will never understand is their are so many rats here why are their no cats. All we have is these barking dogs. Kill them all I say!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
What I will never understand is their are so many rats here why are their no cats. All we have is these barking dogs. Kill them all I say!

Why no cats? Well, that's an easy one. Just like Koreans have a gourmet penchant for dogs, Dominicans have an exotic taste for cats. Maybe we have something to learn from the Koreans... ;-)

kbf

Apr 24, 2002
They might as well like fat, ugly gringos for diner, or better give them to the barking dogs