taxi for a day/POP area

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
I want to find out what a fair price is to hire a taxi for a day to stay with us (we are 2 females travelling) to take us to Sosua, Cabarete and POP (from a starting point of Playa Dorado). I have been there before, have taken the public buses/cars (which I thoroughly enjoyed but was with a Dominican friend so my lack of Spanish was not a problem)--my friend has not used the public transportation so for our first outing I want it to be comfortable for her. Does anyone have any names of taxi drivers that might be able to do this (preferably English speaking). Thanks so much.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I'd like to know that sort of price range too. For example Sosua: Puerto Plata, Luperon, stop of at Imbert, back to Sosua. We buy the driver lunch and a drink or two. I'm thinking in the neighbourhood of a hundred and fifty bucks for say six or seven hours. How close am I?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
IMHO $RD2500 -3000 is more than enough, assuming you are not burning all that much gas. ($US150 is way over paying)

tambo'

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
For 6-7 hours I would pay 2000 pesos plus food and drinks.
Find a good driver and give repeat business and you should have no problem paying around 300 pesos per hour for longer trips.
I use the same driver every day while there for the past 11 trips so I give him presents like a bottle of Baily's, CC whiskey, cologne, shirts, etc... too but this is not necessary.
The Playa Dorada taxis rotate to different resorts but he can pick you up at any resort.
Call Carlos at 809-855-4193 and tell him Marco from Toronto recommended him.:classic:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Some of this depends where you are starting from or where you are willing to start from.

Many good taxis cannot pick you up from inside Playa Dorada, there is a taxi union you have to negotiate with. They ARE negotiable though!

I recommend Andre 1-809-344-6836 for outside Playa Dorada. For inside just go to the hotel taxi stand to find someone and remember to negotiate.

Many people will walk out to the road to meet a taxi driver! You don't have to use the taxis inside!

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'd like to know that sort of price range too. For example Sosua: Puerto Plata, Luperon, stop of at Imbert, back to Sosua. We buy the driver lunch and a drink or two. I'm thinking in the neighbourhood of a hundred and fifty bucks for say six or seven hours. How close am I?

For a $150.00 bucks I will take you and supply the Presidente plus an extra HR.
And I buy the lunch!

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
Hr?

Gringo, what's an extra HR? Thanks everyone for all the info!!! These 2 Atlantic Canadian ladies are looking forward to some sun and fun! Very cold here these days! brrrrrrrrr

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
remember most cab drivers use propane gas or diesel... both are cheaper than gasoline.. (gas being the cheapest)..... so cab drivers will not burn lots of money on fuel, thus 2-2.5k pesos is find if starting from playa dorada.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
"IMHO $RD2500 -3000 is more than enough, assuming you are not burning all that much gas. ($US150 is way over paying)"

" ...and you should have no problem paying around 300 pesos per hour for longer trips"

Thanks that's a good starting point.

wbr

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Just did this a month ago. PD to Santiago one day, PD to Playa Grande another. 8hrs per day, stopping wherever we wanted- $90US.

scid

Jul 21, 2004
Taxi POP Area

Hi!

US$10.00 per hour including gas. Call Ramon Castillo (809) 387-4394. Speaks excellent English and knows his way around and the history. If you cannot reach him call me, Susanna at (809) 970-3144 and I will be glad to help you

Status
Not open for further replies.