Studying English this summer

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For those readers in CANADA, my daughter in law and her two children want to go to Canada to study Intensive English for a month or so. I do not think travel will be an issue.

Just where to study. That is the question. Any ideas>??

Some sort of formal setting. The granddaughter is in 8th grade here and has some English. Daughter in law is an architect and has some English. Grandson is 8 and he just plays around.....(he's the one I call the "Luckiest kid on Earth!")

Lemme know, okay, eh?

And for you folks in the US, if there are any programs in your area--NOT NYC or environs!! NOR Miami or environs...

LEMME know, too.

HB

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Hillbilly,

Here in Canada there are so many programs in so many cities that it is amazing.

In Winnipeg, where I live, for adults we have over 7 schools just for learning English alone.

As far as the child I could look into getting a space for them in a local school here but may not be that easy since all schooling here is free (paid by our taxes).

Montreal has a huge Dominican population and Toronto has many as well.
If you came to central Canada you would experience prairie life.

Niagara Falls also has a great English program.

It may just depend on what part of the country they may want to experience. From Prairies to mountains to fishing to large city centres Canada has it all to offer.

Let me know if you would like any links to the government web sites or if I can help at all.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Our local university and college has a program called "Artsperience" every summer as well as programs all year round in ESL.
There is also a special school where Spanish speakers from around the world come to learn English in an intensive program and English speakers come to learn Spanish for international commerce.
If you'd like I can have more info sent to you by a friend who has actually taught ESL at the college.
;) I may even be able to give you a lead on 'preferred' accomodations with a 'host' family if you think they'd like being in a naturalistic setting in Northern Ontario (great place to be in the summer with two lakes on either side of the city).
;) I might even be able to arrange 'playmate' dates for the children to practice their English with native English speakers........

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
En la Gran Manzana, no hay que hablar el ingl?s!!

that's why!!

I like the idea of Winnepeg or up by MommC....

Let's explore that a bit, okay?

And thanks, eh.

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Wot's up wiv 'em learnin to speak English proper like wot I does?? Why can they not go learn to speak the Queen's English & get marbles put in their mouths??

If you need that investigating further old chap, just let me know & I will put it into action for you!!

Trust you brought some sparkling stuff back with you from Santo Domingo on Saturday evening???? ~ Grahame (suffering withdrawal symptoms)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Maybe because in Canada we do speak the Queens' English but without the marbles!!! ;)
At least when I went to school that's what we were taught. Can't comment on the English that is being learned today as the teaching methods and curriculum have changed substantially since I was in school, however some of us do still try to speak the Queens' English as she does!

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lots of bling from the capi. 10 gold + other stuff. Got the referee's license. Old dogs do learn new tricks.

HB

SamGompers

Mar 14, 2004
Hey jibaro . . . dominamos ingles muy bien y muy suave aqui . . . fer instance, my mudder and fadder speaks english like reg'lar swells . . . and when youse ordah a cawfee heah, youse get a cawfee heah . . fuggedaboutit . . . seriously, as in any major aggolmeration of peoples and cultures there as many different varieties of english here as in Toronto or Ottawa or Vancouver . . but each to his or her own brand . . .

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Although I am in Canada, unfortunately, where I live (in the middle of nowhere!) there is nothing to offer in way of summer schooling and/or ESL.

I would like to add, though, that MommC's offer does sound like the ideal setting for a young family to come and experience Canada. Having a host family will help tremendously with the culture shock, the availability of play dates for the children, and the beautiful countryside in that area will definitely be a plus.

Forgive me, jrf, but Winnipeg, although a beautiful city, has its many downsides. Being stuck in a hot apartment, depending on public transportation, finding a decent neighbourhood for accomodations, and really, only a handful of parks to enjoy the outdoors, just doesn't lend itself to the Canadian experience, when compared to what MommC has to offer in her neck of the woods.

If the Winnipeg route was one to explore, I would recommend that you get a hold of Chris and Mady Coates in Cofresi. His daughter Jennifer attended university in Winnipeg (or maybe still is?) and he may have some leads for you.

Maybe Trina will read this and have some options for Calgary. I will also be visiting with Trina in March and maybe we could do some research for you at that time.

Just a few thoughts!

Marlie

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
You are forgiven Marlie. It is great here - but as always those of us who live here see it as the diamond - just in the rough.

Anywhere in Canada will get you a wealth of experience.

So what ya gonna do ?

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Toronto

Personally I like the MommC Summer Camp idea, but the city has something to offer as well.

University of Toronto offers some intensive ESL programs that would suit your daughter-in-law. (I'll be doing my TESOL practicum there this summer and I also volunteer with the International Students Centre running one of their English Conversation courses. I'd be happy to do some more research for you.) Toronto's very multicultural and that in itself can be very interesting. I'll be running a conversation program this summer attending street festivals. Little Italy, Greektown, Chinatown, Salsa on St. Clair. I d love to meet your daughter and grandchildren and take them around Toronto. :)

We have some great children's camps at Harbourfront Centre. (Circus, trapeze, canoeing, photography, film, dance etc.) I used to send my daughter off to them.

But Toronto is more expensive than North Bay...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is why I provided the Link Canadian International Student Services Inc, CISS camps, summer camp, adventure camp, ESL, learn English French in canada

One is in Peterborough - great little city surrounded by beautiful country
One is in St Catherines - SMALL FRIENDLY CITY short hop to Toronto, Niagara falls, USA
Huntsville - small town Ontario great camping and outdoor rec
St Jean de Richeleu, Quebec - South of Montreal - English and French spoken by majority , short drive to USA Beautiful area with lots of History
Or you can go to the best part of Canada Summer Youth ESL Programs - Victoria BC Canada | English in Canada | study English in Victoria British Columbia | English for youth | English for youth in Canada

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2006
Concordia Language Villages.... are great language intensive camps. They are located in Minnesota.

I attended the Spanish Language Village for a summer... when I was 15.... it was great. I think your grand-daughter would enjoy it.

They have one for English....

This is a link to the English Language Village...
Concordia Language Village - English

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
I would boast that my home town of Washington D.C. has six well known Universities with great classes in English. They include Georgetown, Catholic, George Mason, American, George Washington, and Howard University. However, George Bush lives there too. As far as his grasps of English, I can only hold my head down in shame.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Definitely lots of choices out there for sure so it can be daunting deciding which one is best for you.
However, one of the best ways to learn a language is to truly be 'immersed' in it, which is what makes the 'host' family so important.

Our city hosts a Belarusas exchange every summer where children come to breathe the fresh air, enjoy the sun, the swimming, the activities, the wholesome food, and learn enough English in 10 weeks to give them the basics that will allow them to communicate in English for the rest of their lives if kept up at home. They also receive free medical and dental care (often for the first time in their lives) and make many friends in the community while here. It gives them a short respite from their still radioactive environment (remember Chernobyl??).

I've been involved in some of their activities and it's amazing how quickly they pick up the language.