Coming to study in the DR! Advise Me Please!

assia

Feb 18, 2007
I have been accepted into a study abroad program to the Dominican Republic and I'm going in the fall for one school year. This will be my first time leaving the country so I'm asking for advice.

Anything you can tell me about what to bring, what not to bring, how to live in a foreign country on a shoestring, vaccinations I should get ( none seem to be required but some are recommended.) Things I should be sure not to forget.... Basically I want to know everything you all think I should know to make my trip safer and more enjoyable (and cheaper).

I'll be staying in Santiago with a host family.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you want the most update info and by far the best book on studying here then you need to take a look at the link below. Tim Martinez has put together and outstanding ebook based on his recent experience of studying in the Dominican Republic. I was blown away when I first read this, a ton of very useful information.

Dominican Republic Student Guide

assia

Feb 18, 2007
Chip00: Thanks for the links. I've already read both and I did write down the Hep A & B recommendations as well as the malaria pills.

I already have a passport too. I've been reading that visa's are free for American students. Is that true?

C

Chip00

I've been reading that visa's are free for American students. Is that true?

That's a good question - I don't know. When you come in the country you have to buy a tourist card which is good for 30 days. You won't get in trouble for staying past the expiration date but normally one has to pay a penalty tax of $US10 for every month past the first month that you overstay - it's possible that students are exempt? I went the the DR immigration webpage and they had nothing about visas at all.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
That's a good question - I don't know. When you come in the country you have to buy a tourist card which is good for 30 days. You won't get in trouble for staying past the expiration date but normally one has to pay a penalty tax of $US10 for every month past the first month that you overstay - it's possible that students are exempt? I went the the DR immigration webpage and they had nothing about visas at all.
:bunny:
15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

Immigration Taxes (Fines)

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
I have been accepted into a study abroad program to the Dominican Republic and I'm going in the fall for one school year. This will be my first time leaving the country so I'm asking for advice.

Anything you can tell me about what to bring, what not to bring, how to live in a foreign country on a shoestring, vaccinations I should get ( none seem to be required but some are recommended.) Things I should be sure not to forget.... Basically I want to know everything you all think I should know to make my trip safer and more enjoyable (and cheaper).

I'll be staying in Santiago with a host family.

Excellent choice. Most people choose Spain to study abroad, way to step out of the box. I went on two study abroad programs, one at PUCMM in santiago, and the other at INTEC in Santo Domingo. PM me for any useful info........there is much to learn, although santiago is no where near as daunting as the capital.

--Exxtol

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
Chip00: Thanks for the links. I've already read both and I did write down the Hep A & B recommendations as well as the malaria pills.

I already have a passport too. I've been reading that visa's are free for American students. Is that true?

You don't need a visa to study in the DR, just a tourist card......if it expires you simply pay the penalty fee upon exiting the country. I think its only like 10 dollars or something like that.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Assia, if you don't mind my asking: What country/city/state or province are you coming from? What in particular, draws you to DR? What will you be studying? And do you speak Spanish?....

Sep 20, 2003
Do any of the Dominican Universities(18 different universities according to Tim Martinez??!!) offer courses in English? I have lived in many different countries and that is often the case.

I would be interested to take some courses in history.

assia

Feb 18, 2007

I was reading this site: http://www.learn4good.com/travel/dominican_visa.htm#req and this page had a separate section for a student visa. Plus I'm pretty sure that my program stated that a student visa is needed. I'm going to look into the tourist card. Thanks!

Excellent choice. Most people choose Spain to study abroad, way to step out of the box. I went on two study abroad programs, one at PUCMM in santiago, and the other at INTEC in Santo Domingo. PM me for any useful info........there is much to learn, although santiago is no where near as daunting as the capital.

--Exxtol
I'm trying to go to Europe after the DR and I cannot afford to deal with the euro twice. Besides, I have problems understanding Spaniards when they speak. Through no fault of their own of course... Luckily that's changing. I currently have two teachers from Spain. I will definitely send you a PM. I'm trying to get as many first hand accounts as I can.

Assia, if you don't mind my asking: What country/city/state or province are you coming from? What in particular, draws you to DR? What will you be studying? And do you speak Spanish?....
I'm from the US and I live in Chicago Il.

One of my majors is Spanish so that is what I'll be studying. I am taking advanced level classes now, so when I get there, I'll take mostly literature classes. I'll be able to finish the remainder of my degree there.

My Spanish is very halting. When I talk there are pauses and hesitation. Plus I always seem to run into that one word that I don't know. It's very frustrating. I can read and write in Spanish though. I have three Spanish classes now so I'm getting better and better. At my level, I figure that being forced to speak it non stop will give me that push that I need.

I have always been interested in the DR. I have met a few but not many where I grew up. I wanted to study in a country which had a noticeable amount of people of african descent. Here in the states, we are rarely taught about people of AD in latin america. Plus there is Haiti on the other side of the border. I want to go there after the end of my program. I'm currently searching for an organization or business that will allow me to do it safely.