Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spanish schools in Santo Domingo

Most of the discussions about good schools tend to focus on the international/bilingual variety. If you've been reading my blog, you'll know I'm re-thinking the bi-lingual option for all sorts of reasons, and looking at the possibility of schools in Spanish for my son (6).

Which are the really good Spanish schools in central Santo Domingo? I particularly want to hear from posters with personal experience, or through a family member who has studied or worked in a school.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you asking for Spanish-language only, private schools or what? It's obvious that all of then are taught in Spanish, unless otherwise noted. Verdad?
    And why hinder/stunt your child's potential by limiting him/her to one language? Eso no conduce a nada bueno en el futuro de su hijo. Tienes que saber que el idioma Ingles es esencial para el progreso y suceso academico de su progenito. Por favor no le limite el potencial por caprichos sin logica.
    Yo tengo dos hijos. ellos saven los dos idiomas casi perfectamente. La razon?
    They go to an English-language school and we we speak Spanish at home, de rigour!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I have (silently) followed Chirimoya's reasons for choosing a Spanish language- not so called bilingual- private school for her son, I think she is right. What she is asking is for Domininicans or other residents' positive experiences with those schools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Juan View Post
    Are you asking for Spanish-language only, private schools or what? It's obvious that all of then are taught in Spanish, unless otherwise noted. Verdad?
    And why hinder/stunt your child's potential by limiting him/her to one language? Eso no conduce a nada bueno en el futuro de su hijo. Tienes que saber que el idioma Ingles es esencial para el progreso y suceso academico de su progenito. Por favor no le limite el potencial por caprichos sin logica.
    Yo tengo dos hijos. ellos saven los dos idiomas casi perfectamente. La razon?
    They go to an English-language school and we we speak Spanish at home, de rigour!
    DJ, I realise that not everyone is aware of the background to this decision - suffice to say that what I have in mind is a mirror-image of your situation - (mostly) English at home, and (mostly) Spanish at school.

Gracias, JC.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected. My apologies, Chirimoya!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    DJ, I realise that not everyone is aware of the background to this decision - suffice to say that what I have in mind is a mirror-image of your situation - (mostly) English at home, and (mostly) Spanish at school.

Gracias, JC.
    De nada, I am sure you will find what you are looking for. Buenas vibraciones desde aquí.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DJ, but no offence taken whatsoever - I posted this question without providing context about the decision, which I've been building up to for the last few months. See these blog entries, one recent and one from several months ago about the process I've been going through:

Another take on bi-lingual schooling

The schools saga - not yet over

The latest is that we think we might have found the right place. I'm still interested in hearing about other options, though.

Some possibles - Babeque, Escuela Nueva, Aula 21, Senderos, Luis Muñoz Rivera, Lux Mundi, Atrium, Los Arbolitos, several Montessori schools.

BTW - What are people's thoughts about the Montessori method?

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

My grandson's both attended Montessori schools before starting regular school in Canada (grant you it was pre-school) and they both loved it!
    Definitely gave them a leg up on some of their classmates when they started regular elementary school however I am not aware of elementary Montessori school.
    Perhaps a quick PM to Montessorian for some answers?? I know she doesn't post much anymore but she is in SD and runs a Montessori school.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks MommC, I've been researching this elsewhere and heard lots of similar praise from people whose children had gone to Montessori schools or had gone themselves. This is extremely reassuring.

The general consensus is that if it's done well, it can be excellent. However, there is always the possibility that someone slaps the Montessori label on their school, as it is not copyrighted. I doubt this is the case in this particular school, but it would be good to hear from an expert so I will take your advice and ask Montessorian what she knows about this school.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Chiri, I suggest you take your time and approach your quest methodically. After you narrowed down the number of potential schools, make a thorough visit to each one of them. Question and listen to the director's idea (philosophy) on education. Insist on visiting the classrooms, particularly the one your child will be in. Look at the expressions of the children (are they dumb-down expressions? are they full of curiosity and energy?...). Go ahead, ask the children questions... Pay particular attention to the teacher, again, ask testy questions. Many a teacher in a good school is a dud...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast