Spanish schools in Santo Domingo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Most of the discussions about good schools tend to focus on the international/bilingual variety. If you've been reading my blog, you'll know I'm re-thinking the bi-lingual option for all sorts of reasons, and looking at the possibility of schools in Spanish for my son (6).

Which are the really good Spanish schools in central Santo Domingo? I particularly want to hear from posters with personal experience, or through a family member who has studied or worked in a school.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Are you asking for Spanish-language only, private schools or what? It's obvious that all of then are taught in Spanish, unless otherwise noted. Verdad?
And why hinder/stunt your child's potential by limiting him/her to one language? Eso no conduce a nada bueno en el futuro de su hijo. Tienes que saber que el idioma Ingles es esencial para el progreso y suceso academico de su progenito. Por favor no le limite el potencial por caprichos sin logica.
Yo tengo dos hijos. ellos saven los dos idiomas casi perfectamente. La razon?
They go to an English-language school and we we speak Spanish at home, de rigour!

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Since I have (silently) followed Chirimoya's reasons for choosing a Spanish language- not so called bilingual- private school for her son, I think she is right. What she is asking is for Domininicans or other residents' positive experiences with those schools.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Are you asking for Spanish-language only, private schools or what? It's obvious that all of then are taught in Spanish, unless otherwise noted. Verdad?
And why hinder/stunt your child's potential by limiting him/her to one language? Eso no conduce a nada bueno en el futuro de su hijo. Tienes que saber que el idioma Ingles es esencial para el progreso y suceso academico de su progenito. Por favor no le limite el potencial por caprichos sin logica.
Yo tengo dos hijos. ellos saven los dos idiomas casi perfectamente. La razon?
They go to an English-language school and we we speak Spanish at home, de rigour!
DJ, I realise that not everyone is aware of the background to this decision - suffice to say that what I have in mind is a mirror-image of your situation - (mostly) English at home, and (mostly) Spanish at school.

Gracias, JC. :)

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
DJ, I realise that not everyone is aware of the background to this decision - suffice to say that what I have in mind is a mirror-image of your situation - (mostly) English at home, and (mostly) Spanish at school.

Gracias, JC. :)

De nada, I am sure you will find what you are looking for. Buenas vibraciones desde aqu?.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks DJ, but no offence taken whatsoever - I posted this question without providing context about the decision, which I've been building up to for the last few months. See these blog entries, one recent and one from several months ago about the process I've been going through:

Another take on bi-lingual schooling

The schools saga - not yet over

The latest is that we think we might have found the right place. I'm still interested in hearing about other options, though.

Some possibles - Babeque, Escuela Nueva, Aula 21, Senderos, Luis Mu?oz Rivera, Lux Mundi, Atrium, Los Arbolitos, several Montessori schools.

BTW - What are people's thoughts about the Montessori method?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
My grandson's both attended Montessori schools before starting regular school in Canada (grant you it was pre-school) and they both loved it!
Definitely gave them a leg up on some of their classmates when they started regular elementary school however I am not aware of elementary Montessori school.
Perhaps a quick PM to Montessorian for some answers?? I know she doesn't post much anymore but she is in SD and runs a Montessori school.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks MommC, I've been researching this elsewhere and heard lots of similar praise from people whose children had gone to Montessori schools or had gone themselves. This is extremely reassuring.

The general consensus is that if it's done well, it can be excellent. However, there is always the possibility that someone slaps the Montessori label on their school, as it is not copyrighted. I doubt this is the case in this particular school, but it would be good to hear from an expert so I will take your advice and ask Montessorian what she knows about this school.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chiri, I suggest you take your time and approach your quest methodically. After you narrowed down the number of potential schools, make a thorough visit to each one of them. Question and listen to the director's idea (philosophy) on education. Insist on visiting the classrooms, particularly the one your child will be in. Look at the expressions of the children (are they dumb-down expressions? are they full of curiosity and energy?...). Go ahead, ask the children questions... Pay particular attention to the teacher, again, ask testy questions. Many a teacher in a good school is a dud...

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
My two sons went to one of the most highly rated Montessori schools in Santo Domingo -- Primaria Montessori. Would I do it all over again? Not sure. I don't feel the Montessori system, at least in its pure version, encourages reading enough. I feel it is too methodical, and while there are good things to be gained from that, I wonder it if is adapted enough for today's world. I do know other parents, who were very happy about the education.

But what I most treasure from that school experience, was the fun had with the other parents and the good times the boys had with their classmates. The parents (mothers and fathers) always looked forward to the children's parties! I raise the point, because normally one will be with a group for at least six years, the children and parents will teach one another.

My opinion at this point is that there is no sure bet. I would prefer a mix of systems, taking from one and another.

Another point to consider is if the school continues through high school. My boys had to switch when they got to 7th grade. That has its advantages in making new friends, but it is also sad to separate the children, and means that for a second time you will have to go school shopping.

It's no easy chore to find a school. Bottom line, I think you want a school that will open their minds, encourage them to read and write, and be good public speakers. With so much negative in the world out there, you want a school that will help them work on values and strengthen their abilities to recognize what is good and bad for them.

As parents, the reality is that you have to be ready to fill in the voids, but then brave enough to let go so they can work their own way through.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Dolores - the reading issue is a concern, so I'll make a point of asking about it during my next visit. I'll also try and find out how rigid or pragmatic they are about combining methods.

This school goes right up to 12th grade, which is a definite plus for me.

BTW I thought the school your sons are at now was a Montessori too?