Best Calling Card From USA To DR?

dangerousdave

Feb 18, 2007
What is the best calling card (least extra fees, lowest cost per min) to use to call from the USA to DR? I am especially interested in one that is a good deal to call a DR cell phone. I currently use Sonico Green but it is 2X as much to call a cell phone. Thanks, Dave

C

Chip00

Very good question. Unfortunately, the calling card market is a known to be a racket. What all the companies do is sell the cards and advertise cheap rates and then and some point change the rates wherby people quit buying them and they are discontinued so the company creates more, etc.

Another trick they are doing now is saying there are no connection fees but they charge a hang up fee instead.

If you want the best rates unfortunatley you will have to do some experimenting. First, try to go to bodegas owned by Dominican's and ask them what are the best. Then buy the $2 cards first and give them a try. FYI, typically a good $5 card will give you 150 to 200 min. and maybe more than an hour to cell phones.

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
Calling cards

I use a prepaid service called Tel 3 advantage , depending on where your calling from determines rate . There are no connection charges , no rounding of miutes . Look them up on line . You wont be sorry .

rick3993

Sep 5, 2006
I use Net to Phone Direct, very reliable, used it for years. 10 cents a minute to regular phones from California and 20 cents a minute to cell phones. it may be less now. Only works from USA to DR.

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
try yahoo phone serv.... using your pc and headset.

calls to landline to dr is $0.069
calls to cell is 2x landline.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
uniontelecard.com is the best for me i've found so far. Specifically mega stable i believe it is. Mega something . No fees at all, well maybe a fee after 2 weeks of use but i use it up by then. For 10 dollars i get 2 1/2 yrs. If i call and use 2 minuites, they deduct 2 minuites. The 2 dollar cards you get in NYC give you 30-40 minuites IF you talk non-stop. Same goes for alot of the other ones so read the fine print. If you are looking to talk for 15 min a day, the one I use is pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
Ill second TEL3 as a good alternative to a calling card....it basically is prepaid. You open an account online and they with draw a set amount from your checking account.Then as you use up the minutes you use up your account, till it recharges your account . It can be automatically( they tell you over the phone they are recharging) or you can do it manually. to the DR it works out to be 13 cents a minute( to a cell). It wont work with the 829 area code in the DR though!!( at least it didnt till about 4 months ago when i stopped trying to make the 829 calls)

you get maybe 3-4 times the minutes calling a land line.

they dont have a connection fee, nor a disconnect fee....sometimes the signal is bad....but not as often as the calling cards signals are bad!!!
if you set up and list the most often used phones you call FROM..you only have to call the access # and then your destination.

other wise you have to call the access number, then your account # then your PIN#, then the number you want to connect to......kinda long.

bob

Feb 7, 2007
Very good question. Unfortunately, the calling card market is a known to be a racket. What all the companies do is sell the cards and advertise cheap rates and then and some point change the rates wherby people quit buying them and they are discontinued so the company creates more, etc.

Another trick they are doing now is saying there are no connection fees but they charge a hang up fee instead.

If you want the best rates unfortunatley you will have to do some experimenting. First, try to go to bodegas owned by Dominican's and ask them what are the best. Then buy the $2 cards first and give them a try. FYI, typically a good $5 card will give you 150 to 200 min. and maybe more than an hour to cell phones.

hey, ikt is not possible to have 150 mins landline and 60 mins calling cellphone on a US$5 card. International wholesale termination rates are about 6 US cents on landline and 10 cents on mobile. Calculate, and you get, on a US$5 card, at cost 83 minutes to landline, 50 minutes to cellphones. Not covering the overhead and profit of the phone card company.

A good card, would give you roughly 60 minutes to landline or 40 minutes to cellphone.

catsmeow

Apr 29, 2007
Saludos!!! I want to buy an online phone card, but don't need $5 worth...Any suggestions? Also, how long does the Mega Stable on uniontelecard.com last? Most paper cards expire within a month and I could never use up $5 in a month....Gracias!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
What is the best calling card (least extra fees, lowest cost per min) to use to call from the USA to DR? I am especially interested in one that is a good deal to call a DR cell phone. I currently use Sonico Green but it is 2X as much to call a cell phone. Thanks, Dave
I realized you asked for calling card info, but if you are looking for a good long distance provider, try kissLD. They charge 12 cents a minute to the DR (to either a land-line and cell phone), and bill in 10 second increments. They also a charge $3 monthly fee, but there are ways to get that waived.

BTW, what are Sonico Green's rates?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I use the "La Fiesta" card from CallingCards.Com:
https://www.callingcards.com/shopping/customer_login.asp?GUID=CCE6E8EF6DCBF349A1EBEDD6FE1B6DF9 . 1000 minutes for $50. Check it out. Been using them for past 2 years with no problem. Also, no connection fee.

Good luck!
Unfortunately, the cards on that site bill in 3 minute increments and charge weekly fees (starting after the first use). It makes for a lousy card unless you plan on using the card in one shot.

Also, I'm not sure what the 15%/20% tax is all about? It seems like it's just another hidden fee.