U.S. Verizon Cell Phones in D.R.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
Hello Everyone,

I want to purchase an LG Chocolate phone and send it over to my cousin down in DR. Now if I am not mistaken Verizon phones operate with CDMA technology and since Verizon is no longer in DR, will my cousin be able to connect this phone?

If so, do I have to buy a special unlocked phone or I could just purchase the LG Chocolate that Verizon sells at their stores and send it down there where my cousin can connect it?

Any information that you guys (and gals) may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
phone

i don't think you have any problem,,,,,,,,,the only difficulty i see is that his choice of phone co. is limited to probably codetel..................

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Hello Everyone,

I want to purchase an LG Chocolate phone and send it over to my cousin down in DR. Now if I am not mistaken Verizon phones operate with CDMA technology and since Verizon is no longer in DR, will my cousin be able to connect this phone?

If so, do I have to buy a special unlocked phone or I could just purchase the LG Chocolate that Verizon sells at their stores and send it down there where my cousin can connect it?

Any information that you guys (and gals) may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Verizon in the DR is now Codetel, they use CDMA. I am not sure if Verizon in the U.S. uses CDMA or not. I bought my phone from AllTel in Florida and they are CDMA. You need to be careful which U.S. company you buy from, some of them restrict the capabilities of the phones (Especailly Sprint) with their speciallized programming. For instance, Sprint restricts using dual nams in the phones, which may come in handy if you travel back and forth (Second Phone number).

You also need to check with your cousin first, as to where he lives. Some areas may not get CDMA or GSM, etc. Ask your cousin which service is best where he lives. Then get a phone with that technology (CDMA, GSM, etc).

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Verizon Pre Paid Calling cards and Verizon phones

These are still being sold and working with any prior verizon phone in the SW.
I would have to assume that the phone you spoke of will be useable in the DR. You will have to take it to a Codetel office that was Verizon a few weeks ago to have it Dominicanized...As Far as I know...Only the name changed not the service..

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
These are still being sold and working with any prior verizon phone in the SW.
I would have to assume that the phone you spoke of will be useable in the DR. You will have to take it to a Codetel office that was Verizon a few weeks ago to have it Dominicanized...As Far as I know...Only the name changed not the service..

That's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure as the phone is going to cost me $300.00 as I am not signing into a contract.

My cousin, who lives in Higuey, has Verizon service. I just didn't know if a phone that I brought in the U.S. would work down there as some times carriers place restrictions on the phones.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
You are right, first Codetel, them as strategy of the company turns into Verizon, now Sell to America Mobile they decide return to Codetel for fixed Numbers and Claro for Mobiles. They has the same service, and the only problem that your cousin will have will be unlocking the phone and it?s not a problem, problem is solve with 200.00 dominican pesos. Verizon has CDMA, Centennial Dominicana has CDMA too, and was sold to a group of some owners of T-mobile, and I hear that both companies are planing to manege both Tecnologies CDMA and GSM early 2008, and in the Centennial case the owners said the first step will be to have better coverage for this year.

For me centennial has better prices and plans and where they say that has coverage they have.

If your cousin live in Higuey in the turistic area or in the town centennial has better coverage than Verizon, I was there few weeks ago and my cell phone worked into the hotel room I was, and my friend had to let their next to the window.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
You are right, first Codetel, them as strategy of the company turns into Verizon, now Sell to America Mobile they decide return to Codetel for fixed Numbers and Claro for Mobiles. They has the same service, and the only problem that your cousin will have will be unlocking the phone and it?s not a problem, problem is solve with 200.00 dominican pesos. Verizon has CDMA, Centennial Dominicana has CDMA too, and was sold to a group of some owners of T-mobile, and I hear that both companies are planing to manege both Tecnologies CDMA and GSM early 2008, and in the Centennial case the owners said the first step will be to have better coverage for this year.

For me centennial has better prices and plans and where they say that has coverage they have.

If your cousin live in Higuey in the turistic area or in the town centennial has better coverage than Verizon, I was there few weeks ago and my cell phone worked into the hotel room I was, and my friend had to let their next to the window.

Thanks for your response. I was worried that it would be a problem to unlock the phone. I did not know that it would be that easy to unlock the phone (200RD). I think you guys have any my questions as whole, thanks again to everyone.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you bring a CDMA phone to a Verizon(Codetel) office it is free to activate, you just buy a tarjeta.

tambo'