Ikea, maybe?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I (Robert) changed the thread title to better reflect the content of the thread.

Having now returned and had a small chance to drive around Santo Domingo, I couldn't help but notice the huge eyesore developing next to Ferreteria Americana on the JF Kennedy Expressway.

The former UNPHU Campus II was sold, and the new owners have knocked down all buildings, and then having done that, decided to cut down all of the big old trees too. (shades of Mr T in a wooded Chicago suburb) Now the place looks just like Haiti on a hot sunny day. Dirt, dust, and no shade anywhere. Just a mess.

The culprits? I have been told that it is none other than the US friggin Embassy, and they are now going to construct a new fortress there to either add to, or replace the current US Consulate in Santo Domingo. I guess any Environmental laws against cutting trees don't apply, because their ownership would automatically create this area as U.S. soil?

Did they bother to also make a "donation" to one of Leonel's pet projects to cover their heinies? And, let me guess: they will want to close down all but one lane of the JF Kennedy Expressway in the future, for "security reasons". And to replace all of those wonderful big old trees they cut down - a few skinny damn palm trees, just like Piantini.

Last edited by a moderator:

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Campus I is sold, not II. I know this for a fact because my sister takes her lessons there.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
If it is american soil does this mean that the us enviromental laws apply?
Aren't they a bit harsher than the DR ones?

Greetings

Johan

C

Chip00

Having now returned and had a small chance to drive around Santo Domingo, I couldn't help but notice the huge eyesore developing next to Ferreteria Americana on the JF Kennedy Expressway.

The former UNPHU Campus II was sold, and the new owners have knocked down all buildings, and then having done that, decided to cut down all of the big old trees too. (shades of Mr T in a wooded Chicago suburb) Now the place looks just like Haiti on a hot sunny day. Dirt, dust, and no shade anywhere. Just a mess.

The culprits? I have been told that it is none other than the US friggin Embassy, and they are now going to construct a new fortress there to either add to, or replace the current US Consulate in Santo Domingo. I guess any Environmental laws against cutting trees don't apply, because their ownership would automatically create this area as U.S. soil?

Did they bother to also make a "donation" to one of Leonel's pet projects to cover their heinies? And, let me guess: they will want to close down all but one lane of the JF Kennedy Expressway in the future, for "security reasons". And to replace all of those wonderful big old trees they cut down - a few skinny damn palm trees, just like Piantini.

FYI trees are cut down here all the time, legally and ilegally - this according to my cunado who is an ebanista and has made his living doing it for the last 20+ years. Therefore a few more ain't going to make a difference. Also, was the question about a "donation" rhetorical? If you don't know already the US has been generous with aid to the DR.

C

Chip00

If it is american soil does this mean that the us enviromental laws apply?
Aren't they a bit harsher than the DR ones?

Greetings

Johan

There are few US federal areas that have environmental laws preventing the cutting down of trees. If it is not in a designated area for preservation or has some type of species protected by law the trees can be cut down faster that you can say "tree hugger".

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we can always blame america as a preventative measure LOL
sooner or later they will be guilty of something....

ikea? thank you, god.

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Sorry, clear-cutting public lands to provide "esplanades" is a Spanish specialty inherited from the 800 year occupation of the Moors. Visit Spain, PR, Venezuela, wherever, and you will see grand, wide open public spaces. Try the Alcazar Esplanade in Santo Domingo.
Johnny Appleseed, on the other hand, is an American mythical hero.
Your anti-American precepts are showing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there you go. and i was wondering why there is so little green spaces in dominican cities...

Sep 19, 2005
like "something" else could mess up JFK traffic?????????

there is a huge hole on Gomez...maybe the american embassy had something to do with that???

there is a 28,000 line list of names of people wanting to get a visa to america....so if the US Embassy wanted to make a new building to help aleviate that......so more dominicans can LEAVE the dr....

wouldnt that be a good thing?

naaaa

just another reason to put em down

bob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you think america should let more dominicans in so there is less dominicans here and.. i don't know, ex-pats take over the country, maybe...?
LOL
whatever americans are building i hope it's not gonna be a monstrosity like in london or warsaw, more of a bunker than a government building...
they have the money to build something pretty...

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
besides the new friggin embassy can get you guys chicas and the sankies out of the country sooner...:laugh:

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
gringa carlas is talking a whole lot about "what he's been told"and allso about "what he thinks will happen"seems to me he has a problem with the US,about one of every six dominicans live in the US and they depend on the money they send back,tell me what your country is doing for the DR?

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
It will be IKEA no Embassy!

Blame the Swedes! ..seriously though, lets now turn this thread into a Swedes hating orgy. ..seriously though, first Hard Rock, than Donald Trump and now the first IKEA store in Latin America (la primada de America); wow, DR's realy modernizing/westernizing fast, lol!

Last edited:
C

Chip00

Blame the Swedes! ..seriously though, lets now turn this thread into a Swedes hating orgy. ..seriously though, first Hard Rock, than Donald Trump and now the first IKEA store in Latin America (la primada de America); wow, DR's realy modernizing/westernizing fast!

Don't want to deviate too much - but could you imagine a Walmart here? - sheer and utter madness for sure with lines stretching for miles. They would put the whole damn island out of business for sure - maybe that's why they won't let them in. Walmart's "always for less policy" is the exact opposite of the school of thought here - nonetheless I think it would be a wake up call if it ever happened.