Best North Coast beach to visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP2007

Feb 20, 2007
We'll be staying at RIU's. I know the beach there is not the best one, so we
would like to visit one day a really beuatiful beach. What be the one where we should go? Would it be a good idea to rent a car from Puerto Plata? What about bus (or taxi)? :classic:

PP2007

Feb 20, 2007
Playa Caleton (Rio San Juan)
Playa Grande (10 minutes past Rio San Juan)
Sosua Bay beach
Cabarete beach

Thanks. We've been to Sosua once - this time we would like to visit another beach - even better (more sand, clear water) if possible.
Any idea what would be the best way to get there? Local minibus or taxi?
And how much they will charge? Are these beaches faraway?:confused:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Normal car traveling times

Times will vary with traffic, construction, type of transport.

Playa Caleton (Rio San Juan) 1 hour 30 min.
Playa Grande (10 minutes past Rio San Juan)
1 hour 40 minutes
Sosua Bay beach
35 minutes
Cabarete beach
45 minutes

By public transport, all of the destinations would be less that 5 bucks and take a bit longer than the above times.
I don't know the taxi prices.
All the above beaches are clean and worth visiting.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Choices

Sosua, Cabarete & Playa Grande are all indicated, and Caleton is minutes East of Rio San Juan.
55.jpg

Sosua Bay Beach
sosuabeach.jpg

SosuaShots11.jpg

Cabarete Beach
cab2.jpg

Cabarete_Beach_RCI.jpg

Playa Caleton
Cale.jpg

PlayaCaletonA1.jpg

PlayaCaletonA4.jpg

Playa Grande
grande.jpg

PlGrande.jpg

PP2007

Feb 20, 2007
Sosua, Cabarete & Playa Grande are all indicated, and Caleton is minutes East of Rio San Juan.
55.jpg

Sosua Bay Beach
sosuabeach.jpg

SosuaShots11.jpg

Cabarete Beach
cab2.jpg

Cabarete_Beach_RCI.jpg

Playa Caleton
Cale.jpg

PlayaCaletonA1.jpg

PlayaCaletonA4.jpg

Playa Grande
grande.jpg

PlGrande.jpg

Thanks for great info package and photos. What would you say about the Paradise Island - is it worth of visiting and is it faraway? I assume they make excursions to Paradise Island too - should we take one or look for a private adventure...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
paradise island is a patch of sand, maybe 30sq meters. really tiny. nice snorkeling spot but not enough room to lie on the beach. take excursion, if you will, unlimited ron, lunch and snorkeling equipment included.

i suggest you walk from riu towards puerto plata, that is if you are facing the ocean, walk to your right. you will pass lots of rubbish and then see the rocks. you can continue in the water (make sure you have water shoes or sports shoes that you can get wet) or on the small cattle tract up the hill. few hundred meters further you will see a small beach, really quiet and lovely.

i have been to sosua beach (ugly and crowded), cabarete beach (crowded, sankies and vendors). playa grande is great, but far. little closer, about 45 min from cabarete there is playa diamante, small shallow bay, very pretty.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i have often heard the charimicos side of sosua beach is nice and quiet.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i plan on going on that side when i return in 3 weeks. Rocky told me where it was once but i forgot....

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
To the OP, I would suggest Cabarete Beach. Make a day of it. From the RIU go to the highway and get the Gua Gua. OR negotiate with a taxi driver ahead of time. Spend the day in Cabarete, watch the kite surfing, wind surfing, check out the shopping, the restaurants, walk the beach, swim etc. It is well worth a trip.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
i plan on going on that side when i return in 3 weeks. Rocky told me where it was once but i forgot....

It is all one beach. Just walk towards Charamicos form the Sosua entrance or enter in Charamicos.

PP2007

Feb 20, 2007
To the OP, I would suggest Cabarete Beach. Make a day of it. From the RIU go to the highway and get the Gua Gua. OR negotiate with a taxi driver ahead of time. Spend the day in Cabarete, watch the kite surfing, wind surfing, check out the shopping, the restaurants, walk the beach, swim etc. It is well worth a trip.

Thanks for advice. Any idea how much we should pay to gua gau driver and/or taxi driver for this trip?
What about renting a car - is it a good idea at all?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks for advice. Any idea how much we should pay to gua gau driver and/or taxi driver for this trip?
Puerto Plata roads are a mess right now and driving through there is insane.
The employees at the hotel should be able to tell you the prices for both taxi or public transport, to most destinations.

meirie365

Feb 23, 2007
Sosua Beach

I will be in Puerto Plata at the start of Holy Week. I was thinking of making a daytime trip to Sosua/Sosua Beach of Sunday, April 1st. Will the beach/area be too crowded? When do most locals hit the beach?

Thank You

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
how much we should pay to gua gau driver and/or taxi driver for this trip?

Renting a car is only a good idea if you aren't planning to have any cold Presidente while you are there!

Gua-gua is about RD$40 each way, certainly not more than RD$50. I often recommend getting the gua-gua there, then instead of a taxi after dark, or having to leave before dark to get another gua-gua, why not book a room in Cabarete and enjoy the night there too? A reasonable apartment with aircon is US$50, which is what you'd pay for a taxi... and you avoid being on a Dom Rep road after dark! Cabarete is a really 'cool' town for a night on the beach. I know it feels 'strange' booking another hotel when you've already got your AI paid for but it is a 'gentle' introduction into the world outside, for future trips and you get to travel light!

Status
Not open for further replies.