resident missionaries US expats

Dee Dee

Feb 20, 2007
Buenos D?as, Everybody! I am seeking to contact US short-term and long-term missionaries currently in the DR. I will be coming myself by the end of the year. I have 14 years working incountry but would appreciate updated info on much things as bringing my belongings into the country [ costs from NY and duty if any] and your thoughts on getting mail. I have used EPS in the past and still basically like them- BUT would like to know what y'all think.

I will be working out of La Romana and San Pedro de Macoris [ maybe the capital]. Anybody out there?

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
PM me for names and phone #'s of american missionairies in Santiago. They are good friends and I will not post phone numbers on this board.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Let's not post information on the board from people that may not want their information on the board. Any missionaries, feel free to contact Dee Dee by pm.

would appreciate updated info on much things as bringing my belongings into the country [ costs from NY and duty if any] and your thoughts on getting mail. I have used EPS in the past and still basically like them- BUT would like to know what y'all think.

I would suggest you get a quote from a shipping company - perhaps members that have shipped stuff in from New York lately could give you a recommendation.

Also, there are some new players in the 'mail' field but I don't know if they are active where you are going to be. Browse the board a little and you'll soon be updated.

C

Chip00

Buenos D?as, Everybody! I am seeking to contact US short-term and long-term missionaries currently in the DR. I will be coming myself by the end of the year. I have 14 years working incountry but would appreciate updated info on much things as bringing my belongings into the country [ costs from NY and duty if any] and your thoughts on getting mail. I have used EPS in the past and still basically like them- BUT would like to know what y'all think.

I will be working out of La Romana and San Pedro de Macoris [ maybe the capital]. Anybody out there?

I know of a camp in Salcedo that a group of missionaries go to a couple times a year.

Also, when we moved from Orlando to the DR a year ago we paid like US8k for everything, excl. a car for a family of 4 and 3 bdr house w/garage. Please be aware if you or your spouse are not Dominicans you may not qualify for the exemption to pay taxes - maybe they have an exemption for missionaries who knows.

I won't give you the name of the moving company I used because they dropped an additional fee of US300 on me a the last moment. However, I believe that "La Rosa de Monte Express" is a good moving company by all accounts and I believe they are in NY.

As far as mail service goes the cheapest in Santiago in Business Mail.